Should we discuss low pricing on this forum?

There's an interesting discussion on a post in Let's Talk About Pics regarding whether we should or should not discuss image pricing on the forum. It's buried in the July Comp thread.

The debate is interesting so i thought it warrants its own thread.

I haven't yet formed a view. But the way I see it there are two significant opposing reasons relating to the issue. There may be more.

1. Some could claim that free speech is being stifled were such behaviour to be banned (but remember it is Alamy's forum). And that it's useful for contributors to see what others are getting for their images - it provides comparative data.

2. But by posting low prices for images we could be damaging ourselves. Consider a buyer seeing prices that are currently much lower than they pay. Would that not be a significant lever for the buyer to attempt to get lower pricing when next negotiating their supply contract with Alamy? The danger being that it becomes a steadily decreasing spiral across Alamy's customer base. I'm mainly talking here about buyers with large usage needs. But it could also be a turnoff for any buyer.

There are lots of peripheral issues involved I know - image usage, qty discounts, what other agencies are doing etc. But the potential danger is that we exacerbate the problem.

As a general principle should we or should we not post on the forum, actual image pricing received?

Someone mentioning a ridiculous low price gives away my images and your images for that low price to the next customer. (And to everybody else that's smart enough to use Google.)

I wouldn't mind someone being stupid with his or her own images.

It's the price of my images I'm concerned with.

wim

Interestingly as I read Wim's response I looked down and in the list of those reading this topic I noticed Google(1) is a member looking at the thread. Any guesses, I'd say an automatic sweep of forums in general looking for Google references. Perhaps.

My thoughts are that we should have a contributors only section for this type of discussion.  We should be free to discuss areas of contention but not have buyers and others reading our comments.

Other forums I belong to have  members only sections which don't appear to non members - they are not even aware they exist.

Just my couple of pennyworth. :)

John

Someone mentioning a ridiculous low price gives away my images and your images for that low price to the next customer. (And to everybody else that's smart enough to use Google.)

wim

Back OT. I totally agree with you Wim but I thing the wider issue of whether it hurts all contributors is important.

John. A private section might work

Ken

wim

Back OT. I totally agree with you Wim but I thing the wider issue of whether it hurts all contributors is important.

John. A private section might work

Ken

Ken,

how would it not hurt all contributors?

John,

+1

wim

Ken,

sorry - pure rhetorical question/exclamation: I agree.

wim

OK no problems.

The thing is I guess, what do we do about it? I think John's suggestion of a contributor only thread is probably as good as we could hope for provided we could convince Alamy to provide one. There could be some benefit to Alamy also.

Ken

I tend to agree that it's probably not a brilliant idea to shout too loud about low prices received.

It's always surprised me that these forums are public in any case.  Perhaps a case for starting a thread to that effect over in the Alamy suggestions forum to ensure that it's read?

Interestingly as I read Wim's response I looked down and in the list of those reading this topic I noticed Google(1) is a member looking at the thread. Any guesses, I'd say an automatic sweep of forums in general looking for Google references. Perhaps.

Wow. Confirmed. I just entered the search term "bizair low price" on Google. The first search return was a pointer to this thread. Only 3 hours after posting it.

Ken

Agreed - we should not talk about prices or bitching about stock being a waste of time; i think i've been black balled for doing this and i'm no longer getting sales reports and my cleared balance is taking forever. I'm no longer going to bitch so please Alamy give me some sales reports and give me some $. 

Suggesting that fellow contributors refrain from posting - in a public forum - certain types of info that could work against contributors in general strikes me as good business advice - and I have yet to fathom how it has anything to do with free speech.

Agreed - we should not talk about prices or bitching about stock being a waste of time; i think i've been black balled for doing this and i'm no longer getting sales reports and my cleared balance is taking forever. I'm no longer going to bitch so please Alamy give me some sales reports and give me some $. 

Blackballed? No sales reports? $$$ being withheld? Really?

Suggesting that fellow contributors refrain from posting - in a public forum - certain types of info that could work against contributors in general strikes me as good business advice - and I have yet to fathom how it has anything to do with free speech.

I agree Ann. I have amended the royal "we" to "some" at point 1 in my original post, for clarity.

Ken

This entire forum should be for contributors only.

And not indexed by Google.

Try doing a search on your forum name and Alamy. Those who use their real names may be surprised by the results.

I also never understood why this forum was never available to contributors only. And I may add, open only to contributors with approved images, not simply registered ones.

There could be a section on this forum for those that still don't have approved images and seeking advice about alamy. But that section would only be to that effect. Discussions about other issues would not be allowed.

I also see it as an important thing to be able to discuss things openly, including the prices images are being given away lately, but that should be an internal question between contributors and alamy.

This entire forum should be for contributors only.

And not indexed by Google.

Try doing a search on your forum name and Alamy. Those who use their real names may be surprised by the results.

I've mentioned this a few times in the past when the question of using your full name here has been raised - the problems of being quoted out of context is very real and reactions to postings may sometimes alter the whole meaning of what you wanted to say. Forever and ever and ever......no good changing your mind or moderating your opinions - I always try to read out a posting aloud to myself before pressing that button.......

Don't understand why the forum is an open/public one - and obviously sensitive commercial information has no place here.

Interesting topic. Certainly gave me food for thought.

In terms of communication between contributors I have always found it reassuring that others are having similar experiences to me. On this basis I believe that the debate on pricing is both constructive and appropriate.

In terms of an open forum I guess that this is Alamy's choice. At first sight this seems an odd choice but it could be argued that buyers seeing us beef about low prices may, quite correctly, surmise that they may get the best value at Alamy. Surely this is a sales plus for Alamy and for the contributors. 

What I find curious is that this same level of access is not applied to the images or is this opening another totally different can of worms? 

dov

I am more surprised that experienced Internet users can be surprised by this.

I have always seen my posts pop-up in between my found image uses when doing an ordinary Google search.

And yes, it should be a closed forum - and we should weigh our words in here.

As a general principle should we or should we not post on the forum, actual image pricing received?

Regardless of whether it harms other contributors or not, no-one should post details of their own private business transactions on a public forum. It's extremely unprofessional.

But then what do many of the contributors to this forum know about professionalism?

Over and out.

Alan

My suggestion runs in a different direction but to the same end (EDIT: John Walker suggested exactly the same, apologies John, more "inattention" than "plagiriasm" :-) ) . . . have one section (private, verified contributors only), where folk can complain about low prices and those of use who so choose can easily ignore it :-)

Leave the rest public.

And surely folk who use their full names on a public forum in this day and age aren't surprised that their forum comments show up in a search for their full name . . . and will forever.

dd

My guess is that the reason that it is open to non contributors is that it serves a purpose for Alamy in recruiting and training new contributors. 

I didn't join the forum right away. It took me about 5 months to brave the registration. This forum isn't like every other photography forum, and I felt it was rude to join having only just started out.  I do think that it should be restricted to contributors only. 

No we shouldn't discuss low prices but I guess we all find ourselves doing it. It's a general web problem - you tend to forget you're not  just talking to a small group but you're  potentially making announcements to the whole world. I deleted some info about travel plans when I suddenly realised I was telling too many people that my house would be empty. That's one of the reasons I prefer anonymity on the web. 

I'm sure the only reason Alamy ever gave us this forum was to ease pressure on member services by allowing us to sort out problems amongst ourselves - particularly QC queries and newbies who are having problems with submission requirements. That is why it's left open to all.

Maybe a closed "whinging area"  would be a good idea. :D

Archived