How many switched from RM to RF?

I have a pseudo with about 250 images devoted to "design" images -- backgrounds, textures, abstracts, etc. These images don't sell well (huge competition), but I really enjoy this type of photography. I've switched almost all of them to RF to see if it makes any difference (none so far). However, my main collection will remain RM, with a handful of exceptions.

RM is still more editorial photographer-friendly IMO. For example, three "print-run extensions" showed up this month in my sales history. Had the images been RF, I would have missed out on this extra revenue, which was fairly good.  In short, I'll be flying my RM flag for as long as possible.

Like JohnM, most of my snaps are RM. I've changed all my at-home cooked food pics to RF. No dramatic events have happened because of that. Piano piano, va bene? 

RF or RM, this past year has been my best with Alamy.

My first impression when Alamy suggested this change was they could potentially give less revenues to contributors with RF but actually to be honest Alamy seems to be the agency which pays the most expensive RFs among the market.

Like JohnM, most of my snaps are RM. I've changed all my at-home cooked food pics to RF. No dramatic events have happened because of that. Piano piano, va benne? 

RF or RM, this past year has been my best with Alamy.

I've changed most of my food shots to RM editorial (no home cookin' on my limited menu).

No bites or even nibbles to report yet...

I'm changing over quite a few to RF. I think 6 months down the road I'll understand if that's wise. No big deal to change some of them back if it's not working.

The unknown always teases me. Better to test it than always wonder if the boat sailed without me.

Betty

Why would I change something good into opposite? For me RM works better than RF. No point in changing that... Becase any agency gave us the option? So what? Gladly I still can decide what's best for my business.

Besides, I've said it many times - I find no answer why RF could be good for authors. And yes, it can (but doesn't have to) be good for SOME clients.

I imagine niche images could sell for higher RM prices with no problems.

May be some others more popular than the above will never sell as RM , may be they could sell RF (micro?) or it's probably better delete them completely.

I agree with some people who are stating deleting some pics which don't grab enough attention could improve selling of the entire portfolio.

So, i'd like to have a higher RPI .. if RM doesn't permit this , it may be better to switch some pics to RF or delete them (at least from Alamy).

Just my 2 cents obviously...

Jeff, i understood that you can sell RM (not necessarily exclusive) every image that never sold as RF elsewhere.

If you have unsold RF images in other agencies you could sell them here --that's the way many micro contributors sell here as RM and RF elsewhere (same images)

...gave a try to RF instead of RM...

My not-a-lawyer understanding, any image licensed as RF can NEVER again be offered as RM exclusive...?

I may shoot new RF, may never switch any RM to RF.

Any reasonable RM $$ vs. RF $$ comparison related to switching must involve thousands of images switched

that have afterwards spent multiple years both as RM & then RF & assumes limited market morphing during that overall period...?

(A STATISTICALLY RESPONSIBLE CONTRIBUTOR WON'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!!!)

My good RM news: exclusive tradebook cover this month licensed for $475 net

My not-as-good RM news: ~120K other RM images this year did NOT yet license for $475 net or more...

The only way you will ever know is to submit everything as RF for the next 2 years, and then do a comparison with the RM part of your portfolio.

I think my switch of the RM part of my portfolio to RF will be to my financial advantage. I think the calculated risk in switching will pay off.

It seems that the line between RF and RM becomes more indistinct every day, so your concerns about RF/RM conflicts may not be valid.

Make it a fair RF test, do not be a RM snob.

I have no use for RF,  I've been that way for years.

+1

Problem is RM seems to be the new RF. :angry:

Allan

At least with RM there is some pretence at managing usage ;) In many cases there is actually control and even repeat usage fees.

I had three "print run extensions" show up this month. Wouldn't have happened with RF.

Sometimes it pays to be a snob. B)

That said, RF makes sense for some types of images.

In answer to the very original question at the top of this thread; I started submitting images as RF back in 2002. It didn't take long for me to realize that I needed to have a steady stream of images going into both models in order to maximize my revenues. I find that I need to be looking at how buyers in my areas of specialty are searching and how many dollars per year each image I put out there is generating. When it comes to the work I do, individual sales amounts are meaningless. It all adds up - or doesn't - based on how well I engage the market, not on the amount of one or two big (and unpredictable) sales.

My target market uses a bit of everything and every price point, I want to be there for every customer.

Archived