Would you put your laptop computer or camera in the luggage hold on a flight?

I use air travel within the UK on a sort of regular basis. All my gear goes with me as hand luggage and (so far!) the allowances are, to me, quite generous.

The only downside to this, and it's only happened to me just the once, is that I was asked to empty my equipment bag for further inspection. You know, cameras, lenses, filters, the lot! Glad I was on time!

Jim. :) 

It seems that the UK restrictions are less draconian than those dreamt up by the USA and DO NOT apply to cameras, only laptops, tablets and e-readers above a certain size. Full details are available at:

www.gov.uk/government/speeches/additional-airline-security-measures-on-some-routes-travelling-to-the-uk

www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk

www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

Indeed. I'd be perfectly happy if I could only ever visit Europe for the rest of my life.

Mind you, after Brexit the cost of visas will probably put that out of reach anyway :(

Alan

Indeed. I'd be perfectly happy if I could only ever visit Europe for the rest of my life.

Mind you, after Brexit the cost of visas will probably put that out of reach anyway :(

Alan

It's not the cost of visas that would concern me - it's the value of the £ :(  :(  :( £.  As Inchiquin you might qualify for an Irish passport anyway.

This is totally unworkable and airlines will find themselves boycotted by business users and other travellers who do not have the time or inclination to wait for luggage. I fully expect this to be reversed.

That seems to be the goal of measure.

To give US airlines an advantage because they are unable to compete on price and quality.

wim

Who the heck knows what`s really going on. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. All we can do is look on in amazement.

Sounds like yet another ill-conceived, confusing mess-in-the-making to me.

Every day is an ill-conceived, confusing mess-in-the-making south of the 49th Parallel.

fD

I've noticed. Can't say it's a big surprise, though. My fear is that the madness will spread north.

Who the heck knows what`s really going on. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. All we can do is look on in amazement.

Every day is an ill-conceived, confusing mess-in-the-making south of the 49th Parallel.

fD

I've noticed. Can't say it's a big surprise, though. My fear is that the madness will spread north.

Maybe build a yuuge big beautiful wall?

;-)

wim

fD

Maybe build a yuuge big beautiful wall?

;-)

wim

Unfortunately, nutty ideas walk right through walls.

If something is going to explode in the cabin it will in the hold as well with same or similar result.

Allan

Exactly. Seems a no-brainer.

Surely it would make sense to beef up security checks rather than issue "bans" that just create more chaos and fear.

If something is going to explode in the cabin it will in the hold as well with same or similar result.

Allan

Which could possibly be triggered with the mobile phone in his/her hand. 

Yes, it seems to make more sense to ban electronic devices from the hold. If things are out in the open, they can be more easily inspected. Surely, carry-on baggage inspectors have enough technology at their disposal to detect a bomb hidden in a laptop. But what do I know...?

Welcome to the politics of fear and falsehoods.

I fondly remember, the "Good Old Days" when I was doing annual reports and

flying with 6 King Pelican cases, cameras, meters and support equipment.

All it took was really good tips to sky caps.....

Those days are gone.

I certainly remember the hoops we had to jump through to try to avoid our bundles of film getting x-rayed. To be honest, I never recall seeing any damage or deterioration but it made us nervous and there were a few unpleasant confrontations with security.

As ever, they are just trying to keep us safe.  The many heads approach is bound to make the rules look a bit bonkers. Fortunately, I don't fly that much any more

Only if they stop throwing luggage from 6 meters high down on the tarmac; throwing it from 5 meters into the trolley; missing it; driving over it; opening it; nicking stuff; losing it; only paying $500 for $15,000 worth of kit. And so on and so forth.

What are they thinking?

wim

edit: before you ask: yes has all happened to me - and more.

Exactly, you only have to look out the window, when waiting for your plane, to see how your baggage is treated, not for my laptops or camera gear.

Maybe with a Peli case perhaps

I don't think a Pelican case is enough. We have American football players regularly get concussions even with the best scientific helmets. There's nothing inside the skull to keep the brain from sloshing against the skull when bouncing off the ground.

I certainly remember the hoops we had to jump through to try to avoid our bundles of film getting x-rayed. To be honest, I never recall seeing any damage or deterioration but it made us nervous and there were a few unpleasant confrontations with security.

As ever, they are just trying to keep us safe.  The many heads approach is bound to make the rules look a bit bonkers. Fortunately, I don't fly that much any more

+1

I don't think a Pelican case is enough. We have American football players regularly get concussions even with the best scientific helmets. There's nothing inside the skull to keep the brain from sloshing against the skull when bouncing off the ground.

Hi Betty, That's why I said perhaps, the foam would have to be a perfect fit, but even then, the way baggage handlers chuck stuff around, I'm not sure the inside of any camera or lens would like it. As for a computer, no chance, for me

CC

Hi Betty, That's why I said perhaps, the foam would have to be a perfect fit, but even then, the way baggage handlers chuck stuff around, I'm not sure the inside of any camera or lens would like it. As for a computer, no chance, for me

CC

Yes, that's what I meant. Likening the brain banging around inside the skull to the insides of the camera/lenses. You can protect the outside, but there are delicate components inside. I sure wouldn't want mine in the hold.

I had a big roller camera case I carried on when I flew. My Fuji kit didn't fill it, so I stuffed a set of underwear and a few other things like meds in it in case my checked luggage went somewhere I wasn't. My case was just under the allowable size. I had a rolled up soft camera bag in my checked luggage for walking around with my camera and two lenses and incidentals.

I am sure this regulation will lead to more thefts from baggage. Chancers will know there is a higher likeleihood of there being stuff worth nicking in checked luggage on these flights.

Personally I will avoid flights as much as possible and the affected flights entirely. I realise the latter may be playing into the protectionist motives but I am not risking my gear for anybody. I don't fly often (I mostly travel extenssively in Europe in a motorhome/rv) but now both our adult children are living in SE Asia I may want to fly more.

Thank you for bringing this up, banning camera gear carry-on in flights had not occurred to me, but it must be the next move. Bearing in mind that the people who confiscate your kit are not the airlines, but the security gate air-side. Take a busy International airport such as Manchester or London, do you think that the security people would bother where your ticket shows you are travelling, they'll confiscate right at the security gate as it's easier for them to manage. Better to deal with a grumpy passenger when you have some security guards around, rather than a couple Flight Attendants at the boarding gate. The gate doesn't have time to go through everyone's hand luggage. 

Checking kit into the hold, I really can't see how theft can be avoided. A real boon to baggage handlers. I only hope that technology can quickly develop a test for whatever explosive is now concerning them.

Allan

Exactly. Seems a no-brainer.

Surely it would make sense to beef up security checks rather than issue "bans" that just create more chaos and fear.

We do not have enough specific information to understand the threat. Remember the underwear bomber? In the end you fly according to the rules or you don't fly.

Archived