Upgrading to a used Canon 6D ?

Hello

I am after advice on upgrading my camera.

Currently I am using a Canon 50D with the 24-105 L series and ef 100mm macro f2.8 lenses.

I was looking at a used Canon 6D with a shutter count of 16,000.  Trading in my old camera,  the 6D will cost £784.00.

I was wondering if the ef 100mm will work ok with the full frame,  how good the 6D is,  particularly in low light,  and if you think it is good value for money.

If anybody has any alternative suggestions I would welcome the advice.

Many thanks

Chris

No problems with any EF lens on full frame. I use the 100mm macro on my 5D2.

The upgrade you propose looks good and you'll definitely see an improvement in all the areas you seem concerned with. Can't advise on the price though but seems fair. If it's anything to go by, I have some 150,000 shutter counts on my 5D2!

I'd say do it!

Went from 5D to 6D recently. Very happy, wish I had done it earlier. The skies are much smoother, even without any NR. For low light shots I generally use a tripod rather than higher ISO so results are same as those in bright light; NR not often needed.

I used a 6D for eighteen months until it got stolen a year ago. Low light performance was one of the highlights, and to get that back I'm in a constant battle with myself over whether or not to spend a fair amount of loot on a replacement. Canon Rumors, not the most dependable source admittedly, is predicting the release of a 6D mk2 around April/May of this year. If they are right, then both new and second-hand prices of the current model should fall. Mind you, Canon Rumors have been anticipating a 6D2 since 2015. One day they'll be right though.

Gareth

Chris, you won't be disappointed with a 6D, it's excellent.
I bought one to take the load off my 5D mkII, and have been very pleased with it. If you can get the "W" version, it also includes wifi, handy if you're doing Live News stuff.
I also use a 24 - 105 on it, frankly, this covers just about 90% of my shooting needs.

the 6d is the best value canon pro camera available though it is not described as such the low light is incredible and if you combine it with dxo you  can sell pictures that were taken in the dark, do not worry about the iso you can really crank it up with this camera if you can get a 16- 35 is lens on it you will not even need a monopod

I'm now looking for a way to get that lens. It must be Canon's best performing ultra wide zoom and the IS makes it even better. I now use dxo Optics Pro11 to convert all files and have to agree with you about how good low light shots can look.

gas-station-in-bennington-vermont-usa-HR

Hello

Many thanks to all your replies,  much appreciated.

Based on your replies,  and other advice I have received,  I have decided to go ahead and order the 6D.

They are collecting my old camera tomorrow and so, hopefully,  I should receive the new camera early next week.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Best wishes

Chris

Archived