Panasonic DMC TZ100/pocket cameras

I'm looking for a truly pocketable camera, thinking the Panasonic DMC TZ100 might be great for walking - reasonable sensor, 10x optical zoom.
Anyone using one of these can offer advice/comments?

Any other really great pocket cameras?

:)

Thanks for all the comments/tips/advice. I've noticed previously that lots of folk use the Sony, they do seem very highly regarded. I think (perhaps wrong here, so shoot me down in flames) that some models don't have an EVF? (Not keen on waving cameras around at arms length, it really doesn't come naturally to me). Plus, was hoping for a more extensive zoom, though I know this wish list is getting a bit tall here....
In the main, this is for shoving in my pocket whilst walking. Currently I take a Canon 50D with an 18 - 135 fitted, (about 29 - 210 once the C sensor is factored in), but as you can guess, this is not "pocketable".

Probably time to go and try both the Sony and the Panasonic out. I sense an expensive afternoon coming up ....

Thanks for all the comments/tips/advice. I've noticed previously that lots of folk use the Sony, they do seem very highly regarded. I think (perhaps wrong here, so shoot me down in flames) that some models don't have an EVF? (Not keen on waving cameras around at arms length, it really doesn't come naturally to me). Plus, was hoping for a more extensive zoom, though I know this wish list is getting a bit tall here....

In the main, this is for shoving in my pocket whilst walking. Currently I take a Canon 50D with an 18 - 135 fitted, (about 29 - 210 once the C sensor is factored in), but as you can guess, this is not "pocketable".

Probably time to go and try both the Sony and the Panasonic out. I sense an expensive afternoon coming up ....

The RX100-III (version 3) and onwards has an EVF. I was sure I needed it too, haven't used it much, though, but wouldn't buy the camera without - and the LCD screen is the most flexible I have seen, shouldn't be necessary to hold in arm's length at all.

It's a second walk-around and night shot camera to me - I love my full-size Canon.

The RX100-III (version 3) and onwards has an EVF. I was sure I needed it too, haven't used it much, though, but wouldn't buy the camera without - and the LCD screen is the most flexible I have seen, shouldn't be necessary to hold in arm's length at all.

It's a second walk-around and night shot camera to me - I love my full-size Canon.

Ditto, for work I use a 5D II and a 6D. Now heading into semi-retirement, what I haven't got is anything to shove into a pocket when off walking.

Definitely time to try these things out...

@TeeCee - if you get the Sony, get a few spare batteries. It uses them up easily. I have 2 spare and an in-car charger off eBay for $40 or so. Works great.

Thanks for the tip - I'll make sure I do!

Ditto, for work I use a 5D II and a 6D. Now heading into semi-retirement, what I haven't got is anything to shove into a pocket when off walking.

Definitely time to try these things out...

- and into the bargain you'll get an outstanding night shot camera. I rarely use my Canons after nightfall any longer. Just ask Philippe, for instance, what he thinks of this camera :) .

pirate-frigate-in-the-tivoli-lake-copenh

Niels,

Maybe try a A7R mk2.

I wish Canon would put that sensor in one of their cameras. And then shrink it to the size of a the Sony. Or my old OM's.

The A7R is not pocketable of course, but with the 35mm it's still quite small. The mk 2 is a bit bigger but lots better.

wim

Niels,

Maybe try a A7R mk2.

I wish Canon would put that sensor in one of their cameras. And then shrink it to the size of a the Sony. Or my old OM's.

The A7R is not pocketable of course, but with the 35mm it's still quite small. The mk 2 is a bit bigger but lots better.

wim

Actually, I think I should, Wim. Will be on my remember-to-do-list.

Niels,

Maybe try a A7R mk2.

wim

I held off for quite long even after renting one a couple of times.

My fingers still feel totally wrong. Buttons all over the place; all configurable; the menus are like the RX100, but completely different of course.

The quality however is gorgeous. Like the d810 but bigger files from a smaller body. And the quiet mode is not very quiet, but totally quiet.

And every lens fits.

The negative side: I had planned to use all my small old Olympus lenses and some of my Canons. However I have already bought 3 Sony/Zeiss ones.

And I'm still struggling with my 17mm T/S.

wim

Niels,

Maybe try a A7R mk2.

wim

I held off for quite long even after renting one a couple of times.

My fingers still feel totally wrong. Buttons all over the place; all configurable; the menus are like the RX100, but completely different of course.

The quality however is gorgeous. Like the d810 but bigger files from a smaller body. And the quiet mode is not very quiet, but totally quiet.

And every lens fits.

The negative side: I had planned to use all my small old Olympus lenses and some of my Canons. However I have already bought 3 Sony/Zeiss ones.

And I'm still struggling with my 17mm T/S.

wim

Thanks for the information, Wim. Very useful for my evaluation.

The mk1 has no hinged screen, but the mk2 does.

Use it Rolleiflex style and it will be very very stable.

wim

I need to sell my mk1. I haven't used it since getting the mk3. I like the mk1's reach, though.

That is why I stuck with the mk1, even though I would have liked an eye level v/f.

Trouble is the anti-reflective coating has just about completely rubbed off the screen making it difficult to see in sunlight. :(

Allan

I have tried each vesion of the RX100 since Mk2 - I would not buy a camera without a viewfinder. Unfortunately I wear glasses and when I use the RX100 vf it pops in and goes out of focus. I looked at the Panasonic but not happy with the lens speed to get that 10x range which I don't need for a go-everywhere camera (would take my X-T2). I went for the larger sensor of a Fuji X100T, couldn't justify the cost of X100F for the use it would get, there are p/ex deals on the X100/S/T so there are a good few around. I know it is only a fixed prime lens but I move my feet (or crop) to get the extra reach.

Each to their own, we all need to make different compromises.

It is possible to put a loupe meant for looking at the screen on a DSLR on the back of the RX100 to get a great view. It is a bit awkward but good for when the sunshine is making things difficult. Hoodman has a cinema strap that can hold it on.

Paulette

"I have tried each vesion of the RX100 since Mk2 - I would not buy a camera without a viewfinder. Unfortunately I wear glasses and when I use the RX100 vf it pops in and goes out of focus." - Martin Wilson.

I have the RX100M3 and I love it. I also wear glasses, but when I use the EVF I simply remove the glasses as you can adjust the view finder and focus without glassses - at least I can.

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm not exactly a fast mover, but after much deliberation, I finally bought the Canon G5X, thanks to everyone who added their comments.
It's not truly pocket size, as in it won't fit into trouser or shirt pockets, but it's no problem slotting into a jacket or coat. Image quality is excellent, the (for me) essential eye-level viewfinder is pretty good, large screen is exceptional, and it's a Canon, so I already have the software to connect it to my phone, and should the need arise, I can shove a Speedlite on it.

Wish they'd incorporated the built in raw converter (as per the 6D), but as they haven't, I shoot a JPEG as well as a RAW file if I'm thinking of doing Live News.

Couple of early shots below, again, thanks to everyone who gave their thoughts and experiences. :)

a-robin-bird-standing-on-one-leg-erithac

clematis-perle-dazur-JGN0YN.jpg

Archived