Welcome to the Alamy Contributor Forum. Log-in using your existing Alamy account details. If you're not registered yet then you need to create an Alamy Contributor account to be able to post here. Once registered, you'll be able to choose a forum display name and there will be a link to your images on Alamy within your profile. Please have a read of the rules and announcements before posting. Your first post will be moderated before appearing. Welcome to our photographer community!

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic DMC TZ100/pocket cameras

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TeeCee

TeeCee

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted A week ago

I'm looking for a truly pocketable camera, thinking the Panasonic DMC TZ100 might be great for walking - reasonable sensor, 10x optical zoom.
Anyone using one of these can offer advice/comments?

Any other really great pocket cameras?

:)

#2 Alex Ramsay

Alex Ramsay

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted A week ago

Sony RX100, as many on here will tell you

Alex

Alex Ramsay

Blogging occasionally at http://alexanderramsay.wordpress.com/

Website at http://www.alexramsayphotography.net/

#3 ReeRay

ReeRay

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationChonburi Thailand

Posted A week ago

+1
"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." - Ansel Adams

#4 Jill Morgan

Jill Morgan

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationThe Back 40, Lindsay, Ontario

Posted A week ago

Another Sony RX100.  I have the M2 model as it allows for screen tilting and wifi access.  Can't love it enough.

Jill

Photography Website:  http://jkmorganpets....rganphotography

Custom Equestrian & Dog Supplies:  http://jkmorganpets.com

#5 Betty LaRue

Betty LaRue

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,463 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, United States

Posted A week ago

Another Sony RX100.  I have the M2 model as it allows for screen tilting and wifi access.  Can't love it enough.

Jill

Yes. I have the one and three. Love 'em.

#6 wiskerke

wiskerke

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  • LocationHaarlem - The Netherlands

Posted A week ago

+2

the Mk1 and Mk2.

Shirt pocket or inside pocket of a jacket though. It doesn't fit in a jeans pocket.

I use a small Zing lens pouch with a carabiner on my belt.

wim

#7 TeeCee

TeeCee

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted A week ago

Thanks for all the comments/tips/advice. I've noticed previously that lots of folk use the Sony, they do seem very highly regarded. I think (perhaps wrong here, so shoot me down in flames) that some models don't have an EVF? (Not keen on waving cameras around at arms length, it really doesn't come naturally to me). Plus, was hoping for a more extensive zoom, though I know this wish list is getting a bit tall here....
In the main, this is for shoving in my pocket whilst walking. Currently I take a Canon 50D with an 18 - 135 fitted, (about 29 - 210 once the C sensor is factored in), but as you can guess, this is not "pocketable".

Probably time to go and try both the Sony and the Panasonic out. I sense an expensive afternoon coming up ....

#8 Niels Quist

Niels Quist

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationOld Zealand

Posted A week ago

Thanks for all the comments/tips/advice. I've noticed previously that lots of folk use the Sony, they do seem very highly regarded. I think (perhaps wrong here, so shoot me down in flames) that some models don't have an EVF? (Not keen on waving cameras around at arms length, it really doesn't come naturally to me). Plus, was hoping for a more extensive zoom, though I know this wish list is getting a bit tall here....
In the main, this is for shoving in my pocket whilst walking. Currently I take a Canon 50D with an 18 - 135 fitted, (about 29 - 210 once the C sensor is factored in), but as you can guess, this is not "pocketable".
Probably time to go and try both the Sony and the Panasonic out. I sense an expensive afternoon coming up ....

The RX100-III (version 3) and onwards has an EVF. I was sure I needed it too, haven't used it much, though, but wouldn't buy the camera without - and the LCD screen is the most flexible I have seen, shouldn't be necessary to hold in arm's length at all.

It's a second walk-around and night shot camera to me - I love my full-size Canon.

Edited by Niels Quist, A week ago.

Niels Quist

quistmedia.jpg

#9 wiskerke

wiskerke

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted A week ago

The mk1 has no hinged screen, but the mk2 does.

Use it Rolleiflex style and it will be very very stable.

wim

#10 Betty LaRue

Betty LaRue

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,463 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, United States

Posted 6 days ago

wim

I need to sell my mk1. I haven't used it since getting the mk3. I like the mk1's reach, though.

#11 TeeCee

TeeCee

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted 6 days ago

The RX100-III (version 3) and onwards has an EVF. I was sure I needed it too, haven't used it much, though, but wouldn't buy the camera without - and the LCD screen is the most flexible I have seen, shouldn't be necessary to hold in arm's length at all.

It's a second walk-around and night shot camera to me - I love my full-size Canon.

Ditto, for work I use a 5D II and a 6D. Now heading into semi-retirement, what I haven't got is anything to shove into a pocket when off walking.
Definitely time to try these things out...

#12 ReeRay

ReeRay

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationChonburi Thailand

Posted 6 days ago

@TeeCee - if you get the Sony, get a few spare batteries. It uses them up easily. I have 2 spare and an in-car charger off eBay for $40 or so. Works great.
"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." - Ansel Adams

#13 Cecile Marion

Cecile Marion

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFlorida USA

Posted 6 days ago

I have the mk4 and have been pleased. It does fit nicely into my pocket, too.
I agree about needing several extra batteries, and I've found my Sony battery lasts much longer than my two generic versions.

#14 TeeCee

TeeCee

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted 6 days ago

@TeeCee - if you get the Sony, get a few spare batteries. It uses them up easily. I have 2 spare and an in-car charger off eBay for $40 or so. Works great.

Thanks for the tip - I'll make sure I do!

#15 Niels Quist

Niels Quist

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationOld Zealand

Posted 6 days ago

Ditto, for work I use a 5D II and a 6D. Now heading into semi-retirement, what I haven't got is anything to shove into a pocket when off walking.
Definitely time to try these things out...

- and into the bargain you'll get an outstanding night shot camera. I rarely use my Canons after nightfall any longer. Just ask Philippe, for instance, what he thinks of this camera :) .

pirate-frigate-in-the-tivoli-lake-copenh

Edited by Niels Quist, 6 days ago.

Niels Quist

quistmedia.jpg

#16 wiskerke

wiskerke

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 6 days ago

Niels,

Maybe try a A7R mk2.

I wish Canon would put that sensor in one of their cameras. And then shrink it to the size of a the Sony. Or my old OM's.

The A7R is not pocketable of course, but with the 35mm it's still quite small. The mk 2 is a bit bigger but lots better.

wim

#17 Niels Quist

Niels Quist

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationOld Zealand

Posted 6 days ago

Niels,

Maybe try a A7R mk2.

I wish Canon would put that sensor in one of their cameras. And then shrink it to the size of a the Sony. Or my old OM's.

The A7R is not pocketable of course, but with the 35mm it's still quite small. The mk 2 is a bit bigger but lots better.

wim

Actually, I think I should, Wim. Will be on my remember-to-do-list.

Niels Quist

quistmedia.jpg

#18 wiskerke

wiskerke

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 5 days ago

Niels,

Maybe try a A7R mk2.

wim

I held off for quite long even after renting one a couple of times.

My fingers still feel totally wrong. Buttons all over the place; all configurable; the menus are like the RX100, but completely different of course.

The quality however is gorgeous. Like the d810 but bigger files from a smaller body. And the quiet mode is not very quiet, but totally quiet.

And every lens fits.

The negative side: I had planned to use all my small old Olympus lenses and some of my Canons. However I have already bought 3 Sony/Zeiss ones.

And I'm still struggling with my 17mm T/S.

wim

#19 Niels Quist

Niels Quist

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationOld Zealand

Posted 5 days ago

Niels,

Maybe try a A7R mk2.

wim

I held off for quite long even after renting one a couple of times.

My fingers still feel totally wrong. Buttons all over the place; all configurable; the menus are like the RX100, but completely different of course.

The quality however is gorgeous. Like the d810 but bigger files from a smaller body. And the quiet mode is not very quiet, but totally quiet.

And every lens fits.

The negative side: I had planned to use all my small old Olympus lenses and some of my Canons. However I have already bought 3 Sony/Zeiss ones.

And I'm still struggling with my 17mm T/S.

wim

Thanks for the information, Wim. Very useful for my evaluation.

Niels Quist

quistmedia.jpg

#20 Allan Bell

Allan Bell

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,017 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK

Posted 4 days ago

wim

I need to sell my mk1. I haven't used it since getting the mk3. I like the mk1's reach, though.

That is why I stuck with the mk1, even though I would have liked an eye level v/f.

Trouble is the anti-reflective coating has just about completely rubbed off the screen making it difficult to see in sunlight. :(

Allan

A keyword is worth a thousand pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users