Am I misunderstanding how pricing works?

I just sold an image for $5.16 (USD).

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 February 2017
End: 01 February 2022

I thought this was very low, so I went through the process of selecting the same image on the Alamy website, and chose the same RM licence options as the sold image.  It came up with a cost of £29.99 (UKP).  I'm in the UK.

Why such a huge difference in the quoted price and actual sale price?

After Distributor Commission I am left with $1.55 (USD).

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Distributor more than likely doesn't use the Alamy calculator.

One of the reasons I haven't joined the distributor scheme is that there's no way to verify distributors report sales honestly. I trust Alamy but I don't know enough about it's distributor partners.

One of the reasons I haven't joined the distributor scheme is that there's no way to verify distributors report sales honestly. I trust Alamy but I don't know enough about it's distributor partners.

Dougie,

That fact is, nobody use the price calculator, except those who doesn't know nobody use the price calculator. :rolleyes:

I had one of those $5.16 sales (editorial website) a couple of days ago plus another one last month. Both were through a distributor, so the Alamy price calculator wouldn't have been used. As Gabbro mentioned, it seldom is (apparently), even with direct sales. Your sale could have been the same client and distributor.

Dougie,

That fact is, nobody use the price calculator, except those who doesn't know nobody use the price calculator. :rolleyes:

Yes I know that but it was easier just to point out that the distributors aren't bound by Alamy prices and yes it's probably a bulk deal too. :)

Archived