IM uploader timing out and automatically submitting

Lizzy

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I have noticed a couple of times that the IM uploader (drap/drop method) will time out after a while and automatically submit, without me pressing anything. So I will end up with submissions of 2 or 3 images.

I am finding this super annoying, as my workflow when I am in the Alamy zone will often be process image - check - export - check - upload to Alamy and on to the next. This means that there will often be 15 minutes + in between adding each image and I want them all in the same batch, not in several small ones! 

Yes, I could process and check all and then upload in one go, but my current method works for me! Well, it did, anyway.

On a positive, I really like the addition of the drag/drop functionality. But please can you turn off this feature of timing out and automatically submitting? I don't see what purpose it serves... 

Many thanks,

Lizzy

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I have noticed a couple of times that the IM uploader (drap/drop method) will time out after a while and automatically submit, without me pressing anything. So I will end up with submissions of 2 or 3 images.

I am finding this super annoying, as my workflow when I am in the Alamy zone will often be process image - check - export - check - upload to Alamy and on to the next. This means that there will often be 15 minutes + in between adding each image and I want them all in the same batch, not in several small ones! 

Yes, I could process and check all and then upload in one go, but my current method works for me! Well, it did, anyway.

On a positive, I really like the addition of the drag/drop functionality. But please can you turn off this feature of timing out and automatically submitting? I don't see what purpose it serves... 

Many thanks,

Lizzy

The uploader is intended to work on a batch at a time. I'm sure most contributors work in this way. I've certainly never heard of anyone working in the way you say you do. You can't expect an uploader to stay open for hours.

That's not Alamy's fault. You're not supposed to work like that.  

Normal workflow is: process ALL the images >>> upload to Alamy as one single batch. Uploading should be the final step of your workflow   ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

The uploader is intended to work on a batch at a time. I'm sure most contributors work in this way. I've certainly never heard of anyone working in the way you say you do. You can't expect an uploader to stay open for hours.

I must have missed the rule book when it comes to "normal" workflow then. Sometimes I will process a batch at a time, sometimes not. But when I do work on an image by image basis, usually when I'm processing random images from my backlog, I feel it allows me to mentally keep track of images and seems methodical to me. Maybe its not the easiest way, or how I'm supposed to, or how everyone else does it... But its horses for courses, right?

I'm working in relatively small batches of 10-20 images anyway these days - I certainly don't expect it to stay open for "hours". Unfortunately I don't have multiple hours in a day to dedicate to photography/processing/uploading - I wish I did! 

I didn't have a problem with the old uploader timing out. Alamy have changed the system, and now I do. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect that a page which has a "Finish Upload" button, doesn't finish the upload until I click that button. 

I will give FTP a try, thanks Jill & LawrensonPhoto.

Lizzy

That's not Alamy's fault. You're not supposed to work like that.  

Normal workflow is: process ALL the images >>> upload to Alamy as one single batch. Uploading should be the final step of your workflow   ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

I must have missed the rule book when it comes to "normal" workflow then. Sometimes I will process a batch at a time, sometimes not. But when I do work on an image by image basis, usually when I'm processing random images from my backlog, I feel it allows me to mentally keep track of images and seems methodical to me. Maybe its not the easiest way, or how I'm supposed to, or how everyone else does it... But its horses for courses, right?

I'm working in relatively small batches of 10-20 images anyway these days - I certainly don't expect it to stay open for "hours". Unfortunately I don't have multiple hours in a day to dedicate to photography/processing/uploading - I wish I did! 

I didn't have a problem with the old uploader timing out. Alamy have changed the system, and now I do. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect that a page which has a "Finish Upload" button, doesn't finish the upload until I click that button. 

I will give FTP a try, thanks Jill & LawrensonPhoto.

Lizzy

You did say 15 minutes between images, times 10-20 that actually is "hours". It just isn't how upload is supposed to work. You can set Filezilla not to timeout for 9999 seconds, so about 3 hours, but of course the uploader won't wait that long as you know, so it may not help you.

Sometimes you have to adapt to changes. We all know that with the new IM!

Archived