You just need to turn down the brightness of your monitor - a lot. I always advocate hardware calibration but it is not essential, just highly desirable. As you are working mainly in mono, you will get by without hardware calibration and you should be able to use software calibration anyway as a guide. The histogram is your friend so use it.

What would be wrong with processing an image so the histogram is correct then set your monitor to show the correct brightness for that image?

Allan

• Like 1

You just need to turn down the brightness of your monitor - a lot. I always advocate hardware calibration but it is not essential, just highly desirable. As you are working mainly in mono, you will get by without hardware calibration and you should be able to use software calibration anyway as a guide. The histogram is your friend so use it.

What would be wrong with processing an image so the histogram is correct then set your monitor to show the correct brightness for that image?

Allan

That would probably work for brightness but it's not very accurate. With a Mac, if you don't have a hardware calibrator, you can get a calibration using Display - Color in System Settings. I think there is something similar available for Windows users. Getting a good colour profile is a different matter though,

However, it's not necessarily about getting an exact brightness level, it's getting the brightness level right for your working conditions and for the intended use of the images. The brighter the ambient light, the brighter your screen needs to be as a general rule. I work in a dimly lit room and I have my monitor brightness set to 90 cd/m2 as I prepare my images primarily with printing in mind and this is around optimum brightness for that. The hardware calibrators I've seen use a default of 120 cd/m2 which is too bright for my eyes and my image usage.

Betty is tough so I don't worry about her but she certainly doesn't deserve to be criticized for spending her valuable time giving detailed help. She sure has helped me in the past and I appreciate it. She has a lot on her plate and works hard at her art.

Paulette

• Like 2

I think it's a lost cause. OP has deleted all her tags and captions. There, I've written "tags".

OP, if you do look in, every reply was well-meant and would have been helpful to you in building a fine collection over time. Too bad.

Betty is tough so I don't worry about her but she certainly doesn't deserve to be criticized for spending her valuable time giving detailed help. She sure has helped me in the past and I appreciate it. She has a lot on her plate and works hard at her art.

Paulette

:)

Excuse me?

Cheers,

Philippe

I think what she meant to write was, "Thanks so much to all you wonderful knowledgable people, especially Geoff (who's also extremely hansom) for spending time helping me out with my photography".

Geoff.

:D LOL  :D

I often wonder why we bother to help  :wacko: ........................ I feel sorry for Betty  :(

Cheers,

Philippe

Not the first time a dog has bit the hand that's feeding it.

I'm ok. I just consider the source. Not everyone appreciates a helping hand.

I wish her luck in the street. ;)

• Like 4

I chose Picasa and can now see the same dark images you can. It was my very out-of-date software that was causing the problem.

I assume you're not aware that Picasa is also outdated and is not maintained anymore by Google. Also, it's not really suited for professional postprocessing. I suggest you consider Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop (Elements) instead.

Christoph

• 2 years later...
On 20/03/2017 at 18:36, Betty LaRue said:

Not the first time a dog has bit the hand that's feeding it.

I'm ok. I just consider the source. Not everyone appreciates a helping hand.

I wish her luck in the street. ;)

Have't seen this before. Didn't realise my old incarnations were still attached to my new account and was deleting all my old posts for privacy's sake when I found it.

I wasn't always very nice back then, I guess, I was broke, nervous of what I was attempting to do and had just lost my beloved cat. No excuse, you'll say (in the form of red arrows), but I don't think I ever deserved to be compared to a dog in the street.

Edited by Guest

You have removed your post that caused Betty to accuse you of biting the hand that feeds you. Hmmmm. I'm sorry you were having a hard time but apparently you had something to apologize for and I don't see that you have done that. You have criticized Betty again and we love her dearly. I suspect she had some right on her side. No?

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

You have removed your post that caused Betty to accuse you of biting the hand that feeds you. Hmmmm. I'm sorry you were having a hard time but apparently you had something to apologize for and I don't see that you have done that. You have criticized Betty again and we love her dearly. I suspect she had some right on her side. No?

Paulette

I've only been playing in this Sandpit since April, in that time I've lost count of the number of times Betty has poured oil on the water and helped people with key words, and so much more, all during her own troubles.

I'm disappointed.

• Like 2

I guess some do not recognize an analogy when they see it.

a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
"an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies"
  • a correspondence or partial similarity.

It doesn’t mean one is calling it the object compared to. No, you’re not a dog. Maybe you just bite like one?  And describing your state of the mind at the time is never an excuse. If I told you what was going on in my life at the time, it would curl your hair.
    Paulette, you are, as always, a dear. One of the kindest people I know.

Let us put this to rest. It serves no purpose except to make hard feelings. It’s in the past.  I prefer not digging up bones. (Another analogy)
    Betty

I'm diggin' up bones, I'm diggin' up bones, 
    Exhuming things that's better left alone. 

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

It doesn’t mean one is calling it the object compared to. No, you’re not a dog. Maybe you just bite like one?  And describing your state of the mind at the time is never an excuse. If I told you what was going on in my life at the time, it would curl your hair.

Let us put this to rest. It serves no purpose except to make hard feelings. It’s in the past.  I prefer not digging up bones. (Another analogy)
    Betty

If it helps you can lay your head on my shoulder.🙂

Allan

5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

I'm diggin' up bones, I'm diggin' up bones, 
    Exhuming things that's better left alone. 

The same condescending, insulting tone that annoyed me in the first place.

This is your domain, Betty, not mine. You have the support that allows you say what you please, I do not. Fine, I'm happy to bow out.

Just now, Betty LaRue said:

😁 Done!

Right I'm on my way. Just got to book the flight and get to the airport. Should be with you in two ticks.

Allan