Does anyone know why Alamy hasn't brought out the app for Android users? Is it in the works for us, in the future. I mean 85% of the world is a fairly large segment that's locked out?

Not 100% sure, but think it's simply because there's such a massive variation in camera quality with Android phones, ranging from utterly useless to fairly useful.

To open it up to anything running Android would create too many quality issues.

Not 100% sure, but think it's simply because there's such a massive variation in camera quality with Android phones, ranging from utterly useless to fairly useful.

I think that's part of the reason. Alamy have continually said that an Android version is in their plans, but it never seems to get any nearer. I guess they see it as a fairly low priority for whatever reason.

I don't beieve that is the issue because images from any smartphone can be submitted via the Stockimo app running on iOS, eg. on an iPad. It may not be accepted of course.

I understand the problem is the less consistent system environment for developers. Code that works on a Samsung may not work on an HTC or whatever. Programmers need to produce a different version of the app for each 'phone.

I don't beieve that is the issue because images from any smartphone can be submitted via the Stockimo app running on iOS, eg. on an iPad. It may not be accepted of course.

I understand the problem is the less consistent system environment for developers. Code that works on a Samsung may not work on an HTC or whatever. Programmers need to produce a different version of the app for each 'phone.

Martin - surely the app would run on the operating system (Android) - which is entirely consistent.

The device itself would be no more relevant than one brand of PC to another, both running Windows?

Martin - surely the app would run on the operating system (Android) - which is entirely consistent.

The device itself would be no more relevant than one brand of PC to another, both running Windows?

That was the argument Alamy used for not producing an Android Stockimo app. It all depends on whether the app addresses the hardware directly (often gives better performance) rather than using the interface to the operating system which may not use the full capability of the hardware, especially as 'phones change so frequently.

I just saw the notice that this is a closed topic in 2016. I didn't mean to break a forum posting rule, so I will not make further comments. I don't get here enough to know that I made an error. Please ignore this thread and my initial questions.

"

Hi everyone,

This forum is for Alamy discussion only and therefore we can no longer allow posts to be made regarding Stockimo. 

Stockimo is a separate brand with a very different model in all aspects from submitting, shooting, keywording and as you can see from some recent posts - selling.

It's important that the Stockimo and Alamy brands are not confused.

We are considering the options of setting a Stockimo forum up but in the meantime, if you need to communicate with the Stockimo team you can email support@stockimo.com

The Stockimo team are also very active across social media on Instagram and Twitter.

Thanks for your understanding.

Alamy"

Archived