Pseudo tutorial needed

I tried that a while ago Mark.

The result was that my pseudo with poor performing images rank overtook my pseudo with better performing images.

Now back to one pseudo.

I think, if you have enough images to warrant it, different pseudos for different categories of image might be worthwhile.

Allan

Are you sure ranking still matters?  :huh:

If I look at my search results - compared to pre-December 5th - I have great doubts. All logic seems gone.

Cheers,

Philippe

Hmmm! Forgot about how the new engine might not be working with ranking. :(

Allan

I'm also thinking different pseudos for different categories - particularly as it is the only manageable way I can think of to categorise my existing images.

(You cant filter for uncategorised ...)

But how important are categories ? - I missed them if they were on the previous image manager.

John Crellin

I've one for images I think I'll delete later (none as yet), and one for news images I've submitted so three in total. I agree with Philippe and have stated before that I thought ranking had been reset for everyone, but as he said it might be that it has been rescinded for good. 

I use them for different categories. I split mine into news, travel, studio, sport, nature etc.

I find it useful to be able to search within one subject, and now it's good with the new image manager to be able to limit searches to one pseudo.

It also helps when comparing numbers of sales of the different subjects you cover - confirming, as if I needed confirmation, that sport photography for me is a hobby rather than a business proposition.

One of the big reasons for me to use separate pseudonyms is to arrange photos by subject with the hopes that the searcher will use the hyperlink that is my contributor name under the small preview image to explore some of my other images.  Alamy used to have the contributor name highlighted so that a customer would know it is a hyperlink but they no longer do that, you now have to roll over it with your mouse to discover the hyperlink.

What would keep your not-so-good images of a subject from appearing in the search as well as the good one? I understood that pseudos were transparent to the search engine.

Nothing, other than possibly a lower rank. The CTR of the other pseudo wouldn't be adversely affected though by the image in the "not so good" pseudo being in the results. So it's just a case of keeping the better images higher up, and keeping a high CTR on the pseudo with those better images.

Geoff.

But all this may now be out of the window?

wim

It seems there are two trains of thought on using pseudos - helping you manage your own images, and helping your ranking.

As for the latter, any attempt to improve the rank of some images will have the opposite effect on the others. Many years ago I had one pseudo for all bought and zoomed images. Its ranking was sky high. All the other images (the vast majority) were right at the bottom of any search, and therefore very unlikely ever to get promoted to superpseudo. That didn't last long.

All this conjecture, of course, is dependent on how rank is now calculated and used under the new system.

I have a pseudo for all my wildlife. Be it a butterfly, or a bird, or a spider. But domestic animals aren't here.

I have one for plants.

My biggest one, just about everything else goes in. Food, people, shops, you name it.

One other. Released images, travel.

Most sales come from the everything else pseudo, but the wildlife does ok.

And often, the plants will have the highest CTR.

I do have one for images I'm thinking about deleting.

You'd think the released ones would do ok, but they don't. That's because they aren't high quality advertising type images. Just plain old people doing things, so editorial type images where no releases are needed. I do sell them, but for editorial.

Betty

Thanks for the useful replies. I'm thinking probably not then. Better to sharpen up keywording.

One of my problems is a couple of non-performing subjects of significant size, some with a lot of searches, but not many results of mine in the top few pages.

Thanks for the useful replies. I'm thinking probably not then. Better to sharpen up keywording.

One of my problems is a couple of non-performing subjects of significant size, some with a lot of searches, but not many results of mine in the top few pages.

Definitely points to keywording/tagging. :mellow:

Allan

All of this is new to me and for the moment I think one pseudo is enough for me to handle. Alan's.... "A keyword is worth a thousand pictures" is the one I need to concentrate on!  50 keywords is harder for me to do that taking photos!  :D

That's good to know Geoff! I wondered how other people mange it short of getting some sort of robot writing them. I know you can get a subscription to one of those outfits where they can supply you with keywords or "tags" but that costs more than you would get for the photo I would imagine. I can't see me going "green"anytime soon!  :(

All of this is new to me and for the moment I think one pseudo is enough for me to handle. Alan's.... "A keyword is worth a thousand pictures" is the one I need to concentrate on!  50 keywords is harder for me to do that taking photos!  :D

You don't need 50 keywords usually. Don't worry about getting that crazy green status thing, it makes no difference.

I think Allan should change his signature phrase to say "tag" and not "keyword" now - Although it doesn't quite have the same ring to it.  :D

Geoff.

Been wondering about that. ^_^

Think I'll stick with keyword thank you. :)

Allan

When I first started with stock photography I would use the maximum number of keywords that where allowed. Sales were few and far between.

I then twigged that I only needed to put in keywords that would describe what was in the image. The reduced keywording then started to bring in more sales.

In fact I have some images which only have enough keywords to fill what was the old essential keyword box, and as the caption seems to have greater relevance I am now going with that and a few keywords (sorry TAGS) or, one or two multiword tags. Whatever is required to get the image in front of the buyer.

Allan

Unfortunately my early over-keywording has come back to haunt me as I have hundreds of images which are, in the new IM, essentially unfixable. Only the ones where I deleted comps wholesale in the old system are redeemable.

It's the green ones that are the problem :D

About pseudos, what's to handle? I could have 100 pseudos and the only "handling" is when I prep them for sale. Just choose the pseudo. Takes all of two seconds.

What's nice is if an outsider wants to see a collection of mine but not my whole port, such as my wildlife or plants,I can direct them to do a search containing that pseudo.

I don't move them around. Period. Except those I may delete.

And a light box takes a lot of time picking and choosing.

What I think is the cream of the crop may not be what others prefer, as I've noticed from some that have sold that I considered among the "lesser" offerings!

Never mind.

You either like pseudos, or not. I like 'em, you won't convince me they're useless like I won't convince you to budge from your opinion.

All of this is very useful information. Lots of answers to how people tackle the key wording. What I have done so far is just giving the performer name and date when the event happened....after that there is not enough to say anymore. Since I'm a newbie I'll need to wait and see if what I am doing is not working and I'll change my approach based on what you folks have said. I shoot lots of music stuff but I have a lot more to post and the other pictures will reflect the info you have given me here. Thanks everyone!

Archived