Personal Use? - yeah right...

I just had two Personal Use licenses drop in late today for the same image. One for $10.39 and the second for $8.69. The two of them don't add up to the $19.95 listed in the US.

I've set a default restriction against Personal Use licenses on all of my new images but I'll have to go back and add it to my older photos once all the AIM dust settles. There should be an easier way to do this.

Odd that they would both be the same image. Is it one that licenses regularly?

I don't believe this image has ever been licensed before though I can't see my sales going back more than a year. Certainly not a regular seller. Could this possibly be a $10.39 sale with a sort of 20% "bulk discount" on the second?

Doesn't make sense. Once the buyer has the file, he/she can make multiple prints, cards, etc. Why would two files of the same image be needed by the same buyer? Must be two different customers. They say that lightening really can strike the same place twice.

Perhaps e-mailing Alamy for an explanation might be a good idea.

I later noticed one is dated 16 March while the other is dated 17 March, even though they both appeared on the 16th EDST. Maybe the first was refunded and for whatever reason it hasn't appeared yet?

2 of mine this month  both cut outs of inanimate objects

11 March 2017  

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 11 March 2017
End: 11 March 2022 $ 12.05  

(13 March 2017) Rights Managed Sale Refunded $ -12.05  

11 March 2017 Country: Worldwide
Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 11 March 2017
End: 11 March 2022 $ 12.05  

(13 March 2017) Rights Managed Sale Refunded $ -12.05

I just had two Personal Use licenses drop in late today for the same image. One for $10.39 and the second for $8.69. The two of them don't add up to the $19.95 listed in the US.

I've set a default restriction against Personal Use licenses on all of my new images but I'll have to go back and add it to my older photos once all the AIM dust settles. There should be an easier way to do this.

Tell CR  you wish to place a PU restriction on all your images in your port(s) and they will do it for you.

They did for me.

Allan

Tell CR  you wish to place a PU restriction on all your images in your port(s) and they will do it for you.

They did for me.

Allan

Thanks! That would be a real time saver!

fD

POD Print on Demand, they've bought a print via the Alamy print partner.

Yes a friend just suggested the buyer might've purchased two items from an Alamy print partner, like a print and a keychain. That could explain why there are two separate rates.

fD

• 2 weeks later...

I think my first PU is genuine, it's of a car outside a pub. The £9.99 price point by the look of it, in USD, fair enough as it's an American car.

Mine are the only ones on Alamy so perhaps it's the owner. Or someone who really wants one.

Two weeks ago I wrote about two rather odd Personal Use licenses. Since then I took Allen's advice and asked Alamy to restrict PU on all of my images.

So tonight, during the last few minutes of March,  I had a Presentation license drop in, of the same image, for slightly more than half of what's listed for Presentation in the US.

Did someone say Presentation was the new Personal Use? :(

I don't think there's any advantage in stopping all Personal Use while the Presentation Use is available at the same price.  

Those that were falsely buying under Personal Use to get a full size image for other uses will now just switch to Presentation Use.

If by Presentation Use it means for use in hand outs, projections and Powerpoint, then a full size image isn't required.  I feel that a reduced file size should be offered for the low price charged.

John

There's an old tale about the first train in Holland that ran from Amsterdam to Haarlem.

It kept derailing.

The cause was that the last carriage would jump out of the rails.

So someone came up with this clever/dumb idea:

Get rid of the last carriage.

wim

I sold a personal use image on Sunday.  When I look at that image here in the UK the price for PU is £11.99 so how come they paid $9.66?  Unfortunately I can't argue the subject matter as it could be for a print etc but I am cross about the price.

Pearl

I sold a personal use image on Sunday.  When I look at that image here in the UK the price for PU is £11.99 so how come they paid $9.66?  Unfortunately I can't argue the subject matter as it could be for a print etc but I am cross about the price.

Pearl

Belgian customers (and probably all other Europeans) pay € 9.99 for PU and Presentation licenses. Apparently different regions, different prices.

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks Philippe, I didn't realise that.  Doesn't make it right all the same.

Pearl

There's an old tale about the first train in Holland that ran from Amsterdam to Haarlem.

It kept derailing.

wim

Ah, but then the penultimate carriage would become the last, and it might start jumping off the rails so you'd have to remove that one too. Where do you stop?

It kept derailing.

wim

Ah, but then the penultimate carriage would become the last, and it might start jumping off the rails so you'd have to remove that one too. Where do you stop?

I think that's the point. Schrodinger's carriage

After 7 (yes SEVEN) Personal Use last month, my first sale for April just dropped in. And guess what.... yes. PU.

What is it? Burnt land being cleared for cattle in Brazil. This is totally out of hand.

And no, I'm not prepared to lose distribution sales by blocking PU. It doesn't mean I can't moan. Grrrrrr....

Gen

I "scored" one of the PU this week. It was a RF image. Someone bought the 48 mb high res image for a grant total of $10.40. 

Somebody said something is better than nothing. Sorry I don't feel better for this thing.

After 7 (yes SEVEN) Personal Use last month, my first sale for April just dropped in. And guess what.... yes. PU.

What is it? Burnt land being cleared for cattle in Brazil. This is totally out of hand.

And no, I'm not prepared to lose distribution sales by blocking PU. It doesn't mean I can't moan. Grrrrrr....

Gen

A twist in the tail re. my PU above: I just discovered that this PU has been searched as "Brazil Deforestation", zoomed and licensed.

As we know, zooms are only recorded for certain buyers....

Archived