Personal Use? - yeah right...

I opted out of PU sales some time ago. As I have only had 3 distributor sales since starting with Alamy it is no great loss.

Allan

It would be a big loss for me. February would be a washout without distributor sales. Out of seven sales so far this month, four are distributor, one for over $200.

I'm not a fan of PU as it stands, but I'd much prefer risking the occasional iffy PU sale to losing all my distributor sales, as low as some of them are.

I think that is how I feel overall - though some of my distributor sales end up leaving me with about £1 by the time everyone else gets their cut of a ridiculously low fee to begin with.  But still - better something than nothing at all...these are desperate times for stock and they are not going to get any better.  I had a look through my sales 10 years ago and nearly all of them were well above $100 with $300 being quite routine.  Now they are around $30 and if anything hits the $100 mark I go 'wow' that's a good sale.  Sign of the times. :(

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.

Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use

Start: 23 February 2017

End: 23 February 2022

Somehow I don't think so.... oh well :huh:

BTN1N4.jpg

I did a google image search and found two sites using your image, you may be aware but not personal use!   https://goo.gl/RAUjpq

I opted out of PU sales some time ago. As I have only had 3 distributor sales since starting with Alamy it is no great loss.

Allan

UPDATE:

I seem to be getting quite a few zooms the last few months which, looking at the image content, could possibly be for PU.

There have not been any actual sales of these particular zoomed images that is why I think they could be PU related.

Allan

I'm waking up to 7 Personal Sales today!! All of pretty Australian sandy beaches. Hmmmmm...

I will be keeping a close watch on those for months to come.

I have a lightbox for PU and track those periodically.

I'm very keen on the silver lining theory: I never had 7 sales in one day before...

Gen

...on the other hand the sale price is higher than a lot of the other legit uses 

That's how I look at it. Of my last three sales one was a PU and one a 2 million print run newspaper  - at nearly half the PU price. The other was an IQ licence at not a lot more either, so I'm happy for PUs to keep coming

...on the other hand the sale price is higher than a lot of the other legit uses 

That's how I look at it. Of my last three sales one was a PU and one a 2 million print run newspaper  - at nearly half the PU price. The other was an IQ licence at not a lot more either, so I'm happy for PUs to keep coming

My first March sale is a PU one for $19.99. It looks as it might even be legit. Last month, I had three distributor sales for less than this amount, so it definitely could be worse.

Allan

UPDATE:

I seem to be getting quite a few zooms the last few months which, looking at the image content, could possibly be for PU.

There have not been any actual sales of these particular zoomed images that is why I think they could be PU related.

Allan

Zooms are only recorded from certain "regular" registered buyers which I assume would not be PU buyers so if a PU sale came from one of those zooms then it would "suggest" that one of these buyers was "playing the game" which is probably unlikely as they would lose any deal they had with alamy. I think its more likely that its not PU zooms. The reason that they are only recorded from only certain customers was to stop contributors getting friends to zoom their images to bump up their CTR

Kevin

Allan

UPDATE:

Allan

Zooms are only recorded from certain "regular" registered buyers which I assume would not be PU buyers so if a PU sale came from one of those zooms then it would "suggest" that one of these buyers was "playing the game" which is probably unlikely as they would lose any deal they had with alamy. I think its more likely that its not PU zooms. The reason that they are only recorded from only certain customers was to stop contributors getting friends to zoom their images to bump up their CTR

Kevin

Yes of course you are correct. I had forgotten that. :wacko:

Allan

Allan

UPDATE:

Allan

Kevin

I never knew that. So if one gets a zoom it means someone is having a serious look at your image, instead of just casually browsing? Interesting.

Allan

UPDATE:

Allan

Kevin

I never knew that. So if one gets a zoom it means someone is having a serious look at your image, instead of just casually browsing? Interesting.

And it is a registered buyer so more likely will get a sale. HaHa.

I have more sales with images that have never been zoomed than with zoomed images.

Allan

I just got a personal use sale but not for the $19.99 listed as the price for personal use. This one sold for $8.25. Sigh.

Paulette

Is there anything in the sale details about a bulk discount or any other sort of discount?

I thought it was $9.99 anyway, rather than $19.99. Maybe it changed.

Geoff.

I had one earlier this month for $19.99. It looked as it could be be legit as well.

Could the really low ones be through a distributor?

I don't usually like to talk about prices on this public forum but it seems so wrong since the price shown here in the USA is $19.99. I think probably shows up differently in different countries.

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Start: 10 March 2017
End: 10 March 2022

The image was viewed but not zoomed recently and it is my understanding that only clients who buy a lot from Alamy have views recorded. I don't know maybe someone they know and therefore gave a special price. It is better than some distributor sales because only 50% commission so not a distributor sale but these things tend to be discouraging. I need to upload some more images but I so dread the new system. Just a bit down in the mouth.

Paulette

I just had two Personal Use licenses drop in late today for the same image. One for $10.39 and the second for $8.69. The two of them don't add up to the $19.95 listed in the US.

I've set a default restriction against Personal Use licenses on all of my new images but I'll have to go back and add it to my older photos once all the AIM dust settles. There should be an easier way to do this.

I just had two Personal Use licenses drop in late today for the same image. One for $10.39 and the second for $8.69. The two of them don't add up to the $19.95 listed in the US.

I've set a default restriction against Personal Use licenses on all of my new images but I'll have to go back and add it to my older photos once all the AIM dust settles. There should be an easier way to do this.

Odd that they would both be the same image. Is it one that licenses regularly?

I don't believe this image has ever been licensed before though I can't see my sales going back more than a year. Certainly not a regular seller. Could this possibly be a $10.39 sale with a sort of 20% "bulk discount" on the second?

A couple of days ago:

Start: 13 March 2017

End: 13 March 2022

$19.99, yesterday sale refounded and today for $40

Usage: Editorial

Media: Editorial website

Industry sector: Non Profit - other

Image Size: Any size

Start: 15 March 2017

End: 15 March 2022

10 year license; Includes option to print-on-demand

What option to print on demand means?

A couple of days ago:

Start: 13 March 2017

End: 13 March 2022

$19.99, yesterday sale refounded and today for $40

Usage: Editorial

Media: Editorial website

Industry sector: Non Profit - other

Image Size: Any size

Start: 15 March 2017

End: 15 March 2022

10 year license; Includes option to print-on-demand

What option to print on demand means?

I would assume (always dangerous) that the buyer is allowed to sell prints of your image.  Since non-profit, probably using your image in some way to raise funds.

Jill

I don't believe this image has ever been licensed before though I can't see my sales going back more than a year. Certainly not a regular seller. Could this possibly be a $10.39 sale with a sort of 20% "bulk discount" on the second?

Doesn't make sense. Once the buyer has the file, he/she can make multiple prints, cards, etc. Why would two files of the same image be needed by the same buyer? Must be two different customers. They say that lightening really can strike the same place twice.

Perhaps e-mailing Alamy for an explanation might be a good idea.

Archived