Absolutely zero sales still. Although it has been pointed out that I do sell these images on microstock, I was still getting some sales previous years to 2017 AND with less files. I now have a lot more, and some added that are not on microstock which proves my point that sales here have slumped.

Absolutely zero sales still. Although it has been pointed out that I do sell these images on microstock, I was still getting some sales previous years to 2017 AND with less files. I now have a lot more, and some added that are not on microstock which proves my point that sales here have slumped.

Just a curious question , you have some fine photographs with great colour but no people or much copy space ?

Just wondered why ?

Many of my licence sales are of people doing things. Btw,

Things seem to be on the up for me also.  

So its not all doom and gloom.

Cheers

"I now have a lot more, and some added that are not on microstock which proves my point that sales here have slumped."

1328 images out of nearly 100 million.

I hope your understanding of photography exceeds your understanding of statistics!

Regen

I see you started around the same time I did. There were around 30 million images then.  You should check your ranking.  Do some searches for your images with some search terms you think buyers would use to buy your image.  Where does your image fall?  For any search I do for any of mine, 80% of the time I will have an image or more on page one, the rest of the time maybe page two or three.

When I look at my views in my dashboard, almost all the time the buyer has only looked at 100-400 images, and a lot of time hasn't gone past page one.  So if your rank isn't getting you up there near the front, then your images simply won't be seen.  I moved my wildlife and dog show images into separate pseudos as they simply weren't selling and were dragging my rank down.  Although I did finally sell a wildlife image this year.

Go over the search terms that were used in searches and ask yourself, "why did they pass up my image?" 

And of the ones that I have sold, Ace is right, people doing things is the number one reason for my sales.  Start adding people to your images.

Good luck,

Jill

I think sales lead to motivation.

But more great photographs give you more chance.

When i started 3 years ago properly, their were about 40 million for sale.

Boy has it jumped up since. However with so many ``similars` from a lot of people maybe its only 50 million `different` photos for sale.

Nope, shoot more, sale more and get more motivation that way.

Good luck.

Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous photographer is beset on all sides by the

Inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil microstock. Blessed is he who, in

The name of Alamy and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of

Darkness and ridiculous low prices, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost

Photographers. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious

Anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my photography business :angry:. And you will know

My name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee :angry:."

Amen,

Philippe -_-

Philippe, please let me know what you smoke because I'm becoming pretty jealous now! :-) :lol:

I'm cleaning my house, so I'm in a terribly bad mood :angry: I HATE cleaning. What a waste of time :angry: ....... and the word "microstock" has the effect on me like a red rag to a bull :o

.................. I need a coffee now....... I'll do the rest of the cleaning tomorrow ........ or next month.

Anyway, I'm glad I could help Marb cutting the Gordian knot.

Problem solved. Case closed! Let's move on ....... -_-

Cheers,

Philippe :P

MICRO-STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahehehe!

Still a mystery to me why you waste your time at Alamy. You only seem to respond here to tell everybody that traditional stock sucks and how well you do at microstock. From your talks and bragging (here and elsewhere), you must be a millionaire by now. But yet ........ you're here :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Philippe

Oh dear!  it was meant to be a joke actually!  didnt know you were so serious about it. Nope! microstock, GI, all of them are down and down. You want to try some of the smaller boutique agencies! heard they are doing terrific business.

Just dropping in for a therapeutic (had to look that up) moan.

After a good start to the month, things have dried up, no sales for a week and very few zooms. I'm doomed, doomed.....

A personal record of 3 refunds so far this month, I'll be glad to see the back of it.

Still no sales this year. Had a few last year with less images.

Could be your ranking has dropped from last year.  There are more and more contributors, so its tough getting on those first few pages of a search.

Jill

Already one of my better months in quantity, though not so high in values. Looking forward to the end-of-month rush. Sadly my ranking seems to have taken a big hit using search terms where once I was a first page wonder.

• 1 month later...

Just 2 sales this year but small amounts of money. Can someone tell me why here is supposed to be better than microstock then ?

Same old story - keep uploading, and with a reasonably-sized portfolio of either very varied or very specific content you will get more views, more zooms and more sales - of varying amounts, which will ultimately bring you more $$$ than a similarly-sized portfolio on microstock.  I've had some sales for what I consider shamefully low amounts here, but then again, those have been balanced with good $$$ sales.

EDIT: And as you can see, my port here is (for Alamy) tiny.

And I thought that April was the cruellest month -- only one sale (a PU) showing on the board so far this month.

But it is only the 9th...

I have a different number of sales showing for May so far. I'll give you a clue - It's less than yours and rhymes with bun.

Maybe we'll get another surge like April......2016.

Geoff.

Hmmm... let's see, fun, run, done, pun, gun -- got me there I'm afraid. B)

And I thought that April was the cruellest month -- only one sale (a PU) showing on the board so far this month.

10th...!

EDIT: only one sale for me, too, so far. But at least it was a reasonable rate.

Your one sale is one more sale than I have in my basket.  :(  Hope things pick up.  Zooms have been good!

Your one sale is one more sale than I have in my basket.  :(  Hope things pick up.  Zooms have been good!

Thanks. I'm not sure if that news makes me feel better or worse. :unsure:

Broke my duck with a less than encouraging $11 distributor sale yesterday, followed by a slightly better effort later in the day.

Zooms OK to good, but relatively few single hits, competition is severe.

Omens not good for May.....

Just 2 sales this year but small amounts of money. Can someone tell me why here is supposed to be better than microstock then ?

Most importantly to me is pride. I'm a good photographer, it's about the only thing in my life I am confident about, and I deserve to be paid more than a few pence. I refuse to give my hard work and talent away for peanuts. If you're ONLY in it for the money and don't care what you actually get paid per photo, maybe Microstock is better.

One decent sale on Alamy could get you the same as 1000 on Microstock. I know which I'd prefer.

Geoff.

?!? Err yeah, pride don't pay the bills  :D

At the end of the day, this is the day job and the first and most important thing to think about is whether it is paying it's way. I have 2 ports, one that is here and one that is there..... the here includes ones that are there but not the other way round. There makes me a lot more money than here. I'd need to earn over 6k p/m here to be close (excl distributor sales).

Alamy is still worth it though, normally make a few hundred a month here but I look to sell the right work in the right shop so I can pay the bills, feed the family and keep a roof over my head. I'd strongly recommend keeping an open mind with regards to new technology, agencies and marketing techniques otherwise it's easy to be left behind.

Of course, if you don't need the money or it's just some extra pocket money then fair enough.

The music industry still sells cd's, mp3 files and vinyl, but that isn't the future. Subscription is where it's at and is taking off very quickly. If an artist or recording studio ignored this then it could prove costly. I'd imagine the cost per track on this business model will be a lot lower but, they'll be reaching many more people who wouldn't have listened to there material if it wasn't for the subscription model.

I'd love it to still be all based on vinyl sales etc but while its making a bit of a comeback, it isn't where the big money is now and it will never return to it's peak. It's glory days are over and the world we live in now is changing a lot faster than it used to.

Personally, I still buy some CDs but I listen to far more CD Hi-Def stuff via Tidal these days and found a load of bands I'd never been aware of before.

With regards to the OP..... yeah, this month has started off poor  :D

If your misery needs company, I'll throw myself in.

After great first three months (average 10 sales, $800+), my April sale dropped to two PUs for $30! Now this is almost half way through May, I have ONE sale, for $25. Views and zooms are consistently good, total CTR over 0.9 four months in a row. 

I wonder what I did to get into Alamy's dog house? This is WAY beyond normal fluctuation. 

Archived