For me, January was awesome with 3 sales and 1 during the first week of February. Since then, maybe 4 zooms and no sales. 

Last year, I didn't sell my first image until April. I was so excited the first month or so of 2017. Been tempted to give up since then, but won't do it. Must have been a freak of nature with those early sales, a couple good $ sales too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I am yet to be convinced as any sales I have had have been very low, not much more than microstock. Still not getting sales from my exclusive images here. Others here too are reporting low sales and prices. Having said that I will still give it a chance and keep uploading more exclusive images but if nothing happens I will upload them to the microstock sites which get me regular sales.

Sorry but I am yet to be convinced as any sales I have had have been very low, not much more than microstock. Still not getting sales from my exclusive images here. Others here too are reporting low sales and prices. Having said that I will still give it a chance and keep uploading more exclusive images but if nothing happens I will upload them to the microstock sites which get me regular sales.

As I asked you in this thread a week ago, have you not only just started uploading to Alamy exclusively? You do realise it usually takes at least a month or 2 for sales to show up, right?

Geoff.

And I have been uploading exclusive images in that time.

3 1/2 months since a sale, will there ever be another!

I'm not sure there's a big market for abstract images. I think that's your problem here. More like the onions or motorcycle if you want to increase your sales. Variety is what's needed.

As I asked you in this thread a week ago, have you not only just started uploading to Alamy exclusively? You do realise it usually takes at least a month or 2 for sales to show up, right?

Geoff.

And I have been uploading exclusive images in that time.

So you've only been uploading exclusively for a few weeks, right? As me and others keep explaining, you have to wait longer than that for the massive majority of sales to show up. You have to be more patient.

Geoff.

But other people are reporting no sales. I can't afford to put all my eggs in this basket because if they don't sell it's money lost on other sites. I will give it a go and see.

So you've only been uploading exclusively for a few weeks, right? As me and others keep explaining, you have to wait longer than that for the massive majority of sales to show up. You have to be more patient.

Geoff.

But other people are reporting no sales. I can't afford to put all my eggs in this basket because if they don't sell it's money lost on other sites.

Some report no sales, but some have plenty. I haven't been doing very well either, but using a Microstock agency isn't going to help me. Sure, I'll sell hundreds, but I'll make less than I'll make for one decent sale at Alamy. If you want to make some money, you need to stop shooting yourself in the foot by using Microstock. As for Alamy sales - They usually take a couple of months or more to show up so you have to wait before making a judgement. You have to put the effort into improving your images (I'm not saying they're not good but I honestly haven't looked), improving keywords, and filling gaps in the market.

Nobody can afford not to make sales - That is obvious. I have barely any money, but that doesn't mean I'll get some if I use Microstock agencies. I'd rather concentrate on getting a fairer price for my licenses here, and spend a lot of time culling my old rubbish, re-processing to improve images, re-doing keywords, etc, etc, etc.. There are other agencies that are not microstock that might be good for you if you want to spread your images around more, as well as sticking to Alamy of course.

Geoff.

Fair enough. Only time will tell. Cheers.

Not a slow month, but a slow year - I'm aware that my collection here is small, but with a bit less than ~900 images online last year I had 6 sales, only one this year with pictures added.

Pictures I distribute using a german macro stock agency show a decline of more than 50 % this year.

I do stock for a while and I'm aware that this may be just a normal variance - but, pushes a bit to check other options to make some revenue.

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe we're almost halfway through June. This definitely hasn't been a slow month so far. I've currently got 11 new sales, more than all of May, sitting on the books. More zooms than average as well. There must be some auspicious planetary configurations at work this month. ^_^

29 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

That's good going John, good for you. So far this month my zooms are better than May (which isn't saying much) I have a grand total of sales that's too depressing to even type. A clue - It's less than 1 and isn't a decimal or negative.

I have had lots of News uses though but who knows when they'll come through. A lot of them are repeat uses though so I'm wondering if they'll pay every time, or will have paid for a multi-use license? Can they do that for news images? Anyone know please? I'm guessing they'll have a multi-use license, which is why they'd be using the same ones every day for over half a week!

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

The impression I have is that assuming the image was RM rather than RF then each separate time the image is used by a national newspaper then they will pay a (very small) fee - unfortunately the sub-uses by other publications secondary to that use dont usually get paid at all...

Cheers

Kumar (the Doc one)

35 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

That's good going John, good for you. So far this month my zooms are better than May (which isn't saying much) I have a grand total of sales that's too depressing to even type. A clue - It's less than 1 and isn't a decimal or negative.

I have had lots of News uses though but who knows when they'll come through. A lot of them are repeat uses though so I'm wondering if they'll pay every time, or will have paid for a multi-use license? Can they do that for news images? Anyone know please? I'm guessing they'll have a multi-use license, which is why they'd be using the same ones every day for over half a week!

Geoff.

Thanks. The gods seem to be with me this month. Don't despair, time is on your side. There's still lots of June left.

31 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Thanks for replying Kumar. That is the case with UK newspaper scheme licensing, but Alamy Live News is different (they are RM) and a couple of sales I had for news with the same newspaper back in January, they paid a lot more. They were only used the one time, as far as I know.

Geoff.

Oh I see, Geoff - I hadn't realised they were originally Live News images. I would still hope they will pay an RM use payment but obviously wouldn't be the same as the live news use originally

Kumar

1 hour ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Slow month?

Slow career?

Take comfort.

You can't easily fall as far as this photographer did:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/johnny-depp-other-stars-serious-debt-problems.html/7/?ref=cpc_medium

Wow! It could take her awhile to pay off $15 million. My debts look paltry in comparison. But it's all relative, of course.

My first time posting via my iPhone because I'm away from my laptop while I travel with only a small backpack. Just wanted to let folks know I've had four Alamy Stock sales so far as of the 15th of the month (two newspapers, one magazine, and one book). Also have had two more iPhone sales so far this month (51 sales in total) on their App as well. I have about 2,000 Stock photos for sale and 700 iPhone photos on sale. Not having a slow month. Not having a slow year. 

As is becoming the pattern, the numbers are good if not the net money at the end. Averaging more than one a day, which is good for before the newspaper sales at the end of the month. A couple to Japanese TV helped up the average slightly.

Volume and revenue has been increasing month on month since the new search engine. Great because I have done absolutely nothing! All pics have poor discoverability,no keywords changed or deleted, no pics uploaded for 2 years, no pics with releases. Titles simple and keywords minimal. About 4 years ago I felt it was not worth jumping thro all the Alamy  hoops for a few dollars more!

Regen

5 hours ago, GS-Images said:

It's even more disheartening when many of my news photos that I put online before anyone else that day are not used, but others that appear hours later that are blurred and clearly taken with a phone are used! I don't blame Alamy for that of course, that's the editors who don't have a clue what a decent photo is.

Geoff.

I guess there are probably certain times of day when it's better to upload certain news images than other times... certainly for images like weather related images. Your pictures will always get pushed further down the Live News Feed as newer images are uploaded and I'm afraid 'least path of resistance' is just human nature so people will look at and pick from the top images first. So Ideally, I guess you want to time submission of images to coincide with when picture editors are about to start looking for images for a lunchtime edition, an article uploaded online midday and an evening edition of their publications.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been patiently uploading exclusive images here for some time and have to say zero sales from any of them. The only sales I have ironically are ones available on other sites.

Archived