Discoverability, Stars and Keywords

But what if the number of tags which don't match the search words is important? Not saying that is the case, just that it is one possible explanation. If it was a factor, it could explain why adding more tags pushes an image down the search results, as some have reported.

But what if the number of tags which don't match the search words is important? Not saying that is the case, just that it is one possible explanation. If it was a factor, it could explain why adding more tags pushes an image down the search results, as some have reported.

I'm not sure adding more relevant keywords pushes it down the search results, I've reported that adding/replacing single word tags with multi tags for words that should go together pushes it down the search result. And that applies to legacy images.

A couple of times it has been mentioned in these discussions that not all keywords show. I'm not sure why that would be but I think Keith is someone who has said that and I trust what he says.

Paulette

I like the new keywording system much more than the old one. It's easier to deal with.

I do too. New subs are a breeze. But not what's happened to my legacy images, which so many transported in a mess. After months of work getting those sorted, I'll be happy with MI.

Getting new subs ready is a breeze. All of my attached tags are in proper order, and I love not having to move them around into separate boxes. That saves time.

I do miss that in the old MI, whatever I had in my caption was also in my description. I could expand on it or not, but at least something was there.

I just noticed some of my new work went on sale without the caption showing in description. So pay attention to that.

Betty

Cheers Betty. I just discovered that we can also now do keywording on an iPad, which is a big step forward versus the old, archaic system.

Right! I commonly do around 50-75 reworks of legacy images on my iPad while sitting on my sofa in the evenings. At that rate, I can have my port fixed in 4 months or so. Yikes. I shouldn't have worked that out. Oh, well. 3 months to go.

Betty

It's a couple of days since anything was added to this thread, but I thought some of you might be interested in what Alamy have to say about discoverability. I asked them a specific question about it and whether being "in the green" actually makes any difference to your image placement in search results. This is the relevant part of reply I received:

"The discoverability bar is not in any way 'reading' or 'scoring' the quality of your metadata, it simply increases with the volume of searchable information you enter".

So it's as I thought, that being in the green doesn't put your images in a higher standing in any way (unless the extra tags you add are part of the search, obviously). So that confirms it's a fairly pointless and meaningless "feature", and simply encourages keyword/tag spamming.

Geoff.

That has been my assumption all along. I suggest that should be quote number 1 in that thread of Alamy answers you  suggested and volunteered to manage  :)

It's a couple of days since anything was added to this thread, but I thought some of you might be interested in what Alamy have to say about discoverability. I asked them a specific question about it and whether being "in the green" actually makes any difference to your image placement in search results. This is the relevant part of reply I received:

"The discoverability bar is not in any way 'reading' or 'scoring' the quality of your metadata, it simply increases with the volume of searchable information you enter".

So it's as I thought, that being in the green doesn't put your images in a higher standing in any way (unless the extra tags you add are part of the search, obviously). So that confirms it's a fairly pointless and meaningless "feature", and simply encourages keyword/tag spamming.

Geoff.

I thought we all knew that.  It's in the manual. 

Geoff.

I thought we all knew that.  It's in the manual. 

I thought it was fairly obvious, but several people when they've just got the new MI have mentioned trying to get into the green, as if they feel it's best practice. So I thought it was worth getting a definite answer direct from Alamy for everyone's sake.

MDM - Yes, good plan. Although did I really offer to manage such a thread?   :D   If someone else starts that thread I'll happily contribute.  :)   There is one that's something like, "What we definitely know about the new MI". Maybe it should go in there.

Geoff.

The problem with that is that there have already been loads of comments which distract from the main idea so that it becomes really confusing and difficult to distinguish facts from alternative facts - a bit like real life in fact. It becomes impossible to follow the threads after a page or so

I think a separate thread where people are asked not to post except for questions and responses from Alamy would be much better. So I do suggest you start a thread and post your actual question and answer as above and specifically ask people not to post anything other than the same - actual questions and answers.

A separate bug thread would also be a good idea. Maybe I should start one although I'm pretty busy right now.

I think a separate thread where people are asked not to post except for questions and responses from Alamy would be much better. So I do suggest you start a thread and post your actual question and answer as above and specifically ask people not to post anything other than the same - actual questions and answers.

Done.  :)

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/7101-new-image-manager-quotes-direct-from-alamy-only/

Geoff.

Thank you. Have a greenie.

Geoff.

If I was a lawyer (I'm not) what I would conclude from this response is they didn't answer the question.  This may be because they're not allowed to make any statement about the search algorithm. 

It of course makes sense that discoverability can't judge the quality of metadata (how could it?).

Your assumption may be correct (that the search algorithm takes no account of greeness or the volume of searchable information).   But as I read it, that's not what they said.

• 5 months later...

Glad i read this what everyone has said about Tags and Keywords on photos,as i have been going crazy trying to find enough tags to go green,as on some photos there is only so many tags you can add ,i do not want to start putting on any old rubbish,love to know who has sold any of their photos with few keywords?

Vicky

4 minutes ago, vicky allum said:

Glad i read this what everyone has said about Tags and Keywords on photos,as i have been going crazy trying to find enough tags to go green,as on some photos there is only so many tags you can add ,i do not want to start putting on any old rubbish,love to know who has sold any of their photos with few keywords?

Vicky

Me.  Every single one of my images is marked as having poor discoverability.  Just had another 7 sales drop in today.  And zooms are up to 48 for this month so far.

You do not need loads of tags.  You do need good ones.

6 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Me.  Every single one of my images is marked as having poor discoverability.  Just had another 7 sales drop in today.  And zooms are up to 48 for this month so far.

You do not need loads of tags.  You do need good ones.

Well Done John on your sales,just goes to show than you dont need loads of keywords for your photos.

Archived