Keywording query about prior use of single & double quotes

What happens if I designate as a supertag, a keyword that has a single or double quotation mark before or after it?  In a few cases, as the help guide states, 'New York City' previously entered now appears as one tag called New York City.  But in the vast majority of cases for my images, my keywords loaded as three separate keywords, i.e. 1) 'New 2) York and 3) City'.  In the latter case, if someone does a search on New York City, will they find my image if they don't include the quotation marks around New York City? 

The follow-on question would be for future submissions, what is the way to indicate a keyword of New York City? 

1) Three separate words with no quotation marks, or 2) 'New  York City'

and then hope the system loads them as one keyword versus three?

Thanks!

I think if someone searches with quotes "New York City" your tag phrase without quotes works the same.

I've found most of my messed up keywords were the one I had quotes around. The phrases with only commas seem to work better.

But that's my legacy images. I don't plan on uploading new work for awhile since there's so much work to do with what I already have.

So I can't say how putting quotes with brand new uploads work.

Edited to add. Phrases I had brackets around are also messed up. Some are coming as single tags with the odd bracket on the end.

An example of the confusion now about how to keyword is that Alamy loaded the following string as one keyword: 30-34 34-39 'animal humor'.  So now I have to delete that item and add the individual pieces as keywords.  Lots of rework in process...

Could one of you tell me the proper way to add copy space. I have seen it as copy space, copyspace and copy_space. I am just getting ready to upload my first photo and am hoping to get off on the right foot. Many thanks!!

I still have not seen any definitive answer about the legacy keywording that has been done, where 'Kodiak and Bear' were broken up by Alamy and made into two keywords.  What happens if a buyer searches on the word bear?  Will they not see it unless I also now add bear as an additional keyword (versus bear') that is already there?  The vast majority of my keywords that were enclosed by single and double quotes have been broken apart into separate keywords.  Thanks.

I still have not seen any definitive answer about the legacy keywording that has been done, where 'Kodiak and Bear' were broken up by Alamy and made into two keywords.  What happens if a buyer searches on the word bear?  Will they not see it unless I also now add bear as an additional keyword (versus bear') that is already there?  The vast majority of my keywords that were enclosed by single and double quotes have been broken apart into separate keywords.  Thanks.

Alamy confirmed that each word of a multiple word tag is searchable. If you have a tag 'Kodiak Bear', a simple search for 'Bear' would find all bear images. Which is a huge draw back in my opinion.

I do not want a buyer seeing my 'Rhinoceros beetle' while looking for a rhinoceros.

Thanks so much Betty and ReeRay. I am just getting started and it all is a bit overwhelming at the moment!

Boy, do I ever understand how confusing it can be. Feel free to ask questions. When I joined back in 2006, this forum wasn't so friendly or helpful.

Lots of flaming, and sometimes one was made to feel rather stupid for asking a honest newbie question. As a result, I stumbled along knowing little for much longer than need be because I didn't want to bring down the wrath of the forum gods by asking questions.

The forum has changed. Alamy shut the old one down, and this one is friendly.

If you need to ask a question you don't feel comfortable posting here, message me through the forum tools. I sure don't know everything, but if it is something I do know, I'll help.

Mostly, you're better off asking the forum because there is a wealth of knowledge represented here. Many times there are different viewpoints and you're free to try several.

Are you from Florida or Louisiana? Your name kind of suggests it.

Betty

I'm seeing various advice regarding correct keywording so now a bit confused :) .  I do my keywording/tagging in Elements which worked fine in the old system.

How should I use commas and quotes now.  Should I use a comma before and after a phrase in quotes ie.   tree,'oak tree',acorn,bark  or  tree'oak tree'acorn,bark

Thanks in advance

John

I'm seeing various advice regarding correct keywording so now a bit confused :) .  I do my keywording/tagging in Elements which worked fine in the old system.

How should I use commas and quotes now.  Should I use a comma before and after a phrase in quotes ie.   tree,'oak tree',acorn,bark  or  tree'oak tree'acorn,bark

Thanks in advance

John

tree, bark, oak tree, acorn

No need to use '

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks Philippe

That's how I tag when inputting direct into the new IM.  I'll try your suggestion when inputting at source in Elements and see how that works.

John

I put in these two: copyspace AND copy space.

Me too

Kumar

what's the point of these tags?

Copy space is a blank/plain/uninteresting part of the image where a buyer might choose to put their own text, logos or another image .. particularly useful if the image is going to be used commercially as part of an advert.

So adding the 'copyspace' and 'copy space' tags tries to help/attract an image buyer who is specifically looking for an image which does have copy space and who has been clever enough to include the term in his/her search while looking for images.

I sent my question to Alamy Member Services and this is the reply I received that answers my questions:

Transferring over to the new system, all your keywords should have honoured, so not sure what has happened in this instance. However, I can see that searching for bear, with no commas or quotation marks, brings up images that you've keyworded as bear with a comma/quotation at the end, so you shouldn't have to go back in and add any keywords.

As I've mentioned above, the fact that you have commas/quotation marks after/before some of your words, shouldn't affect a customer's search results. The best way to indicate that an image is of New York City would be to make New York City a 3 word supertag.

Thanks,
Siobhan
Contributor Relations

I have found that my phrases with commas both ends transferred as expected. But the ones that I had surrounded by quotes and old images with brackets didn't fare so well. How do I know? I see the odd single tag that has a single quote or a bracket on the end. These now singles were once part of a phrase.

Like you, I do wish single words within a phrase weren't searchable.

Thus "tiger striped cat" wouldn't come up in searches for "tiger" which only harms our CTR and ticks off buyers.

On another vein, why do we need to remove duplicates as long as we still fall under the 50 tag limit? Was I standing behind the post with blinders on and earplugs in when that edict was handed down?

More likely, so much information was being imparted that my brain went into overload and kicked it out. :D

Edit typo

Archived