No model releases for a public event

Starting again after my first attempt froze with me trying to put in a link to a Flickr album, and a third time after last year in numbers was identified as a spam word!!

I have been a contributor for a long time, but have always had signed model releases whenever recognisable people were in the images.

I have photographed the Manchester edition of the World Naked Bike Ride in 2015 and last year. There are lots of, what I think are, great shots telling the story of a historically interesting event. Naturally, there is lots of nudity. The shots were taken of people in public places by me also in public places. 

They have proved to be very popular on Flickr, as you can imagine!

My question is, could these images be sold as stock?

There are lots of naked bike ride images on Alamy:

http://www.alamy.com/search.html?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=naked%20bike%20ride&qn=&lic=6&lic=1&imgt=0&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=&selectdate=&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0

So I believe you would be fine.. just state that you have people but no releases and I'd probably tick the Editorial only flag (if you are on new Image Manager).

Thanks for responding, Matt. Clicking on the images in the collection you linked to me, showed that the images were only available for personal use and a vague warning that those wanting to use the image commercially might need permission from the model. I was hoping that my images could be available for editorial use without releases. It's a newsworthy event and clearly releases would not be available.

I would have thought the likelihood of making sales for personal use would be very small. 

I have a number of images on Alamy of the London event. All are RM without releases - either model or property - which I hope would limit the type of licenses to those where I would be covered. I'm no expert on such things, but hope that if I tick the relevant boxes then Alamy and the consumer would limit the availability to the licenses appropriate to the releases.

Thanks for your input Matt, Redsnapper and Avpics.

I am reading things like "I believe", "I hope" and 'just for personal use ticked by default, but available for all uses'. Thanks, but this does not convince me that should an image be printed in, say, a magazine, that someone recognisable in it might sue for its use without permission. I noticed the occasional participant shying away from my camera. When I saw that, I didn't take a shot, but they could have been in another image, clearly shown.

I would prefer to have a definitive answer from Alamy staff, if possible.

I would also be interested to know if any sales have been made from Naked Bike Ride images, and their usages. Is there a way of knowing what sales have been made from other people's images? I know my own, but others?

Just annotate as containing people, releases not available. You're legally covered, even though in the UK there's very little you could be sued for anyway. There's no expectation of privacy at the event you describe.

One ventures to suggest that if you don't want your photograph taken you probably shouldn't ride a bicycle in the nip in public.

I believe editorial gives us protection from release issues, but I've added 'believe' again as I'm not an expert! 

Sales have resulted in the following:

ETFPTX.jpg ETFPTX DSC_8843 Avpics 18 March 2016 Rights Managed

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 February 2016
End: 01 February 2021

G3PH7W.jpg G3PH7W DSC_6355-PW Avpics 02 August 2016 Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: iQ sale: Single company, editorial magazine, print and or web, multiple use 5 years
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 02 August 2016
End: 02 August 2021

That's the whole point of selling editorial stock, by marking it as being editorial only, or as being without releases, you are clearing yourself, and note - as far as magazines/newspapers go, you are the photographer, not the publisher.

And as FW mentions,  people going on the naked bike ride are fully aware that the events will be published in magazines/papers/online etc etc.

The only other point is that whilst it has value as stock, it'd be far better online the same day as Live News ....

:)

Thank you very much, Spacecadet, Avpics, Funkyworm and TeCee. Your information has clarified many things and made me confident about uploading. I take your point, TeCee about the need to post rapidly to maximize the newsworthyness. I have now uploaded from last year and the year before.

Hopefully, I'll be quicker off the mark this year. I do like to cover the route from start to finish (which is a bit exhausting for an old codger) unlike some press guys I saw at the beginning but not later on. One of the best parts on the route is the famous Canal Street in Manchester, which is reached near the end of the ride.

Thank you very much, Spacecadet, Avpics, Funkyworm and TeCee. Your information has clarified many things and made me confident about uploading. I take your point, TeCee about the need to post rapidly to maximize the newsworthyness. I have now uploaded from last year and the year before.

Hopefully, I'll be quicker off the mark this year. I do like to cover the route from start to finish (which is a bit exhausting for an old codger) unlike some press guys I saw at the beginning but not later on. One of the best parts on the route is the famous Canal Street in Manchester, which is reached near the end of the ride.

What you might do to maximise timeliness and coverage: get pictures of the start, quickly get a batch uploaded and then get more of the rest of the event and upload as soon as possible. It is an approach I use when an event is going to run for an hour or more (e.g. our local marathon). That way you are one of the first to get stuff online as news but still get comprehensive coverage for stock, and later editions of the news.

Thanks, Martin.

That's good advice. I'm not particularly well set up to do that on my own, I would miss most of the event. I could see it working with an assistant though. My IT man is a keen amateur photographer. He has been asking to accompany me on a shoot. I'll ask him if he wants to  help. 

An important tech point, Ian: with digital news you must be lighting fast, so set the camera up for good quality jpegs and fire them off with no editing. Don't take the time to shoot and edit RAW. Good luck . . . and can you be considered naked if you wear a scarf?

I don't shoot Alamy Live News, just stock these days. Long ago I was a PJ.

Edo

In London the WNBR runs the same day as Trooping the Colour, so makes for a very hard day of shooting and live uploading. There's something slightly surreal in watching the Duchess of Cambridge et al passing serenely down The Mall in all their finery, and shortly after various sizes of ... sausages and baps

Thanks for the advice, Ed. Are you considered naked if you wear a scarf? Ha, ha!. I would say strictly no, but it would depend on where you wore it! Shoes and nothing else are quite common, but the invitation to the riders is to "dress as you dare".

Avpics, do you think the WNBR chooses that day to maximise the audience potential? It must be a shock to the tourists there for just the ceremony.

Avpics, do you think the WNBR chooses that day to maximise the audience potential? It must be a shock to the tourists there for just the ceremony.

It's a world-wide event, so probably not. To be fair there's about three hours between the two, but it does surprise the tourists somewhat - even if they are a different batch of visitors!

Wow, that's impressive. I carry the gear with me to send in batches usually within an hour, and definitely before 18:00 which is my self-set time when aiming for the following day's printed papers. I might have to look into more tech to keep up!

iPhone

the app is Shuttersnitch (which is available on Android too) (EDIT - no it's not, sorry)

two of my photos of the storms this morning, wired in this way to Alamy LiveNews at 11.38 this morning running here ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4183768/Electricity-lines-EXPLODE-50mph-winds-strike-Cornwall.html

km

Archived