A moment of clarity editing images and keywords

This might make a few people laugh on a dark grey Monday morning

So I've been a member of Alamy a few years now, started as I covered some live music & occasional live news with a little bit of stock, gradually adding more images and I now have 2000 images up, but the pain of adding keywords etc and not understanding them, the search engine, what sells etc,

All this meant I wondered how people with much larger collections spent the time editing & adding keywords etc as my way was very slow, going from image to image copy and pasting, permissions etc

But...I've Just discovered batch edit!!! Doh!!

Congratulations, and just when the new contributor tools are about to appear...

It's always a pleasure to discover a new trick, I recently found that you could copy layer masks, and invert them, in PS. A great time saving, but probably well known to most other users.

You may have found that any entry into a batch edit field deletes all that went before (in that field). You can't use batch edit to add to or amend existing stuff. Hopefully this will be fixed any time soon.

I use batch edit quite a lot.  Before I do anything else, I bring all the images down into the edit box at the bottom.  I then fill in all the constants - month/year  and other constants in Attributes. 

This results in far less clicking when working the batch adjusting for individual settings etc.

Congratulations, and just when the new contributor tools are about to appear...

It's always a pleasure to discover a new trick, I recently found that you could copy layer masks, and invert them, in PS. A great time saving, but probably well known to most other users.

You may have found that any entry into a batch edit field deletes all that went before (in that field). You can't use batch edit to add to or amend existing stuff. Hopefully this will be fixed any time soon.

Ah, Yeah, Damn! I presume there will be something similar in the new tools, but this is now ideal for changing photos to personal use or when you know there are x amount of people, the address is the same etc, it cheered me up anyway.

You do have to be very careful with batch editing, as you could easily delete a lot of words just by having a box ticked. I recently moved several hundred images to a new pseudo, and also deleted the entire contents of the Comprehensive field on all my 2800ish images. I was nervous doing this so did it a few hundred at a time, checking afterwards to make sure it had all worked correctly!

I've often found when keywording that however similar the subjects are, I want to keyword each differently. I may have just wanted to swap the order of a few words, so no matter what exact search is made, at least one of my images will appear as high up as possible. I would find that it actually took longer to cut/paste words here and there to change them around a little than it did to re-enter them all from scratch. Also, copying like that means you'll often get irrelevant keywords in images unless you're very careful.

I've used the past tense above because with the new search engine, things are very different, so keyword order and even which box they're in makes no predictable difference to where the images appear in searches. Also as Bryan says, the new tools should hopefully be arriving soon that will change everything.

Geoff.

I use batch edit quite a lot.  Before I do anything else, I bring all the images down into the edit box at the bottom.  I then fill in all the constants - month/year  and other constants in Attributes. 

This results in far less clicking when working the batch adjusting for individual settings etc.

The funny thing is I think I did it with an early batch, then I forgot, as I hadn't added many, also probably when I realised that to put the right words I wanted I'd cut and paste similars.

It should mean I can get around to my earlier photos and change the really badly keyworded images I have, instead of doing them one by one a year or so ago, although reading the latest on keywords and ranking I'm just as much as in the dark as before, but at least I created a new Pseudonym for a particular category and took plenty off personal use

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been a member of Alamy a few years now, started as I covered some live music & occasional live news with a little bit of stock, gradually adding more images and I now have 2000 images up, but the pain of adding keywords etc and not understanding them, the search engine, what sells etc,

All this meant I wondered how people with much larger collections spent the time editing & adding keywords etc as my way was very slow, going from image to image copy and pasting, permissions etc

Where can one find batch edits? Editing single images one by one is indeed tedious to say the least.

Where can one find batch edits? Editing single images one by one is indeed tedious to say the least.

Its on the bottom of the image manager, you simply drag your images below the bottom bar & then you can batch edit

Its on the bottom of the image manager, you simply drag your images below the bottom bar & then you can batch edit

Thank you :)

Thank you :)

Baco - all the comments above relate to the old image manager, which was replaced a few days ago. Batch editing is now a (lengthy) discussion on other threads here.

:)

I don't appear to have the new one Tony, so I guess it still aplies to me ;)

Apologies, thought the roll out of the new system was complete. I'd guess you'll very soon be on the latest set up, which although it appears to have a few snags, is much better than the older flash-based model.

It'll make no real difference to anything you submit though, so no need to wait...

I don't appear to have the new one Tony, so I guess it still aplies to me ;)

Apologies, thought the roll out of the new system was complete. I'd guess you'll very soon be on the latest set up, which although it appears to have a few snags, is much better than the older flash-based model.

It'll make no real difference to anything you submit though, so no need to wait...

I haven't got it either, but for some things, it sounds like doing them in the old batch Manager might help before it changes, i.e creating pseudos, judging by the already long & confusing posts about the Image Manager

Archived