Reputable U.K. camera stores?

KerinF

Hello all, hoping some of you in the U.K. can offer suggestions here. My daughter has settled in London for a few years. For Christmas, looking at getting her a gift voucher that can be purchased online to a good camera store, preferably one with a few outlets in London so she can choose one near her home or work. Any suggestions?

I'd strongly recommend WEX because they have a vast range of kit at competitive prices, are absolutely reliable with excellent customer service and have very knowledgeable and helpful staff should she need any advice on most things photographic. I've been a customer since 2008 and rarely go anywhere else although I do checkl competitor prices. The few times I've had to return anything, I've had no problem and deliveries are always in time or they refund the difference. They are not based in London but have an Aladdin's Cave warehouse and store in Norwich - not too far away by train or car if she wanted a day out in East Anglia.

http://www.wexphotographic.com

If she is a Nikon user, then Grays of Westminster in London is always worth a browse.

I have used London Camera Exchange in Nottingham for several years now and have found them helpful, knowledgeable and fair. They are my starting point for most things photographic.

For the 45 years I have been a photograher I have generally worked with dealers where I have been able to establish a personal relationship. I used Calumet for many years until my last contact left (they had long given up premises in Nottingham), then they became just another dealer.

I'd strongly recommend WEX because they have a vast range of kit at competitive prices, are absolutely reliable with excellent customer service and have very knowledgeable and helpful staff should she need any advice on most things photographic. I've been a customer since 2008 and rarely go anywhere else although I do checkl competitor prices. The few times I've had to return anything, I've had no problem and deliveries are always in time or they refund the difference. They are not based in London but have an Aladdin's Cave warehouse and store in Norwich - not too far away by train or car if she wanted a day out in East Anglia.

If she is a Nikon user, then Grays of Westminster in London is always worth a browse.

as a customer also since 2008, +1 - they are excellent

Kumar

as a customer also since 2008, +1 - they are excellent

Kumar

Ditto.

However I also get great deals with Campkins of Cambridge which match if not better WEX.

Allan

Calumet in London near Euston

Park Cameras also have an outlet just off of Oxford Street (although recent poor reports from a number of Pro colleagues).

Fixation in Vauxhall.

I have also used LCE (London Camera Exchange)

All pro stores with great staff.

I used Calumet for years before switching to Fixation when I moved to Fuji

Calumet in London near Euston

Park Cameras also have an outlet just off of Oxford Street (although recent poor reports from a number of Pro colleagues).

Fixation in Vauxhall.

I have also used LCE (London Camera Exchange)

All pro stores with great staff.

I used Calumet for years before switching to Fixation when I moved to Fuji

I've used Fixation for repairs and sensor cleaning. They were taken over last year by WEX - both have excellent customer service in my experience.

I've also used Park and in fact just bought from them today as WEX didn't have the item in stock. Never had a problem with them. Prices are competitive.

and good deals from H Dew Cameras,   http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/ 

Do their prices include VAT? They are incredibly cheap if they do but there is nothing that I can see that says either way.

Checkout doesn't add VAT.

In any case you're not supposed to advertise VAT-exclusive prices to consumers and most retailers abide by it. Even Screwfix and the like show both prices.

Do their prices include VAT? They are incredibly cheap if they do but there is nothing that I can see that says either way.

I think that the big brand items are grey imports, so still a genuine piece of kit but manufactured for a market other than the U.K. This would mean that it wouldn't have a manufacturers warranty in the U.K. But great savings. It wouldn't stop me from purchasing from them. I actually have a couple of things on my wish list to buy from them

I think that the big brand items are grey imports, so still a genuine piece of kit but manufactured for a market other than the U.K. This would mean that it wouldn't have a manufacturers warranty in the U.K. But great savings. It wouldn't stop me from purchasing from them. I actually have a couple of things on my wish list to buy from them

Yes that is what I concluded when I read that the products do not carry a manufacturer warranty and are only guaranteed for a year. I wouldn't risk it myself but I can see why others would given the large price differences for a lot of products.

I think the prices do include VAT, but they are grey imports. I took a chance and bought from them but regretted it afterwards. The camera I bought was faulty and the replacement had the same fault. Second time around they told me it must be my fault so they couldn't replace it, and Canon didn't want to know because it didn't come from the UK. I got my money back in the end but I wouldn't buy from them again.

Alan

I've been a Calumet customer for the last 10 years (their rental department is knowledgeable and friendly with good 3-day/weekend rental deals), their open days usually come with decent offers. However lens/body pricing is often at the higher end and they don't seem to hold anywhere near as much in stock as they used to at Drummond Street. They offer free sensor cleaning on their Open Days. Recently also had a positive experience with Park Cameras (off Oxford Street) again (after a few years away) - friendly and they did hold a bigger variety of ie filters and accessories in stock. If it's the consumer end of photography, the remaining Jessops branches are also worth a try.

Hdew - I bought a body from them recently (plus accessories) - can't fault them, no problems with the equipment, friendly customer service and the savings were considerable. But I did collect in person at their offices/warehouse and had a quick visual inspection and some test shots before parting with the full sum, plus it is useful to check what's in the box so that UK plugs are included (or they swap them), the manual is there etc.

London Camera Exchange on the Strand (right in central London) is very good, especially for secondhand stuff but they do new as well. And as mentioned above, Calumet by Euston station is a great shop for proper photographers. One of the few remaining branches of Jessops in on Oxford Street.

• 1 month later...

I have just discovered Camera Jungle - and have spent a lot of money with them. They operate from the basement of Jessops on Oxford Street and seem to be linked to them. I've bought two cameras and a lens from them and am very happy with the goods and the prices. All second hand stuff but much of it mint. The deliver next day.

• 1 year later...

Archived