Adobe have added something very useful - the Reference View. And they are claiming performance improvements - the last ones in the Develop Module were real and significant so let's hope these ones are too.

A Lightroom CC / Camera raw update is available details here:  http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/12/lightroom-cc-2015-8-now-available.html

Standalone LR 6.8 also available. I just updated on El Capitan. No issues so far, but it's early days yet..

Update: I've been using the latest standalone version for a couple of days without problems.

Note the new LR develop module "reference view" is for CC users only.

Thanks for the heads up. Just updated. Was using 6.6, so 2 with one go!

Tend to be cynical about these "improvements", but handy to have the latest cameras added just in case I am foolish enough to buy one. Took a look at the suggested video tutorials but they didn't float my boat. Maybe looking in the wrong place, happens all of the time....

Thanks for the heads up. Just updated. Was using 6.6, so 2 with one go!

Tend to be cynical about these "improvements", but handy to have the latest cameras added just in case I am foolish enough to buy one. Took a look at the suggested video tutorials but they didn't float my boat. Maybe looking in the wrong place, happens all of the time....

A dash of cynicism is fine but better not to overdo it or you might miss something really good - there have some really excellent improvements in LR with and after they released LR6/LRCC2015. These include the Merge to Panorama (and Merge to HDR) for raw files to produce a DNG, dramatic speed improvements in the Develop Module, the Guided Upright tool and the ability to use brushes on the grad filter to name the ones that I find the most useful and/or timesaving. Julieanne Kost's video tutorials are excellent for bringing oneself up to date with the changes: http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

Just found out that the standalone version of LR6 does not include the additional features supported by CC. It appears that you get bug fixes and new camera, and maybe lens, upgrades but nowt else!

Don't like being tied to a lease arrangement, so will have to do without.

Just found out that the standalone version of LR6 does not include the additional features supported by CC. It appears that you get bug fixes and new camera, and maybe lens, upgrades but nowt else!

That's why I stick with Capture One Pro, as well as because I have been using it since before LR was a twinkle in Adobe's eyes (~13-14 years). I do have a standalone copy of LR as a backup for the odd times I have had issues with C1Pro, especially slow availability for a new camera. Or to use on my laptops but C1Pro now comes with 3 activations so that is no longer an issue.

I'm not a fan of subscription either but software is going that way and eventually there will be no choice except to run very out of date software.and potentially ake a significant workflow hit. I was upgrading Photoshop at about £150-200 every 18 months and Lightroom upgrades on top. I held out with Creative Cloud until about 6 months back as I had PSCS6 and LR6 but eventually I decided to subscribe for about £100 for the year (I don't know what the effect of the collapsed £ v $ will be this coming year).

Well all I can say is I'm very happy that I did subscribe as Photoshop has moved on quite a bit and a few of the features are saving me a lot of time. Similarly, some of the new LR features not available in the perpetual license version are well worth having - the guided uprights are ingenious.

There does come a point where one has to ask if the hanging out against subscription on principle is really worth it. Is one really going to miss a tenner (less in fact) a month and potentially waste a lot of time which could be spent more fruitfully.

Being retired, photography only contributes a small proportion of my income, so I try to spend a proportionally small amount on kit and software.

If I were doing this full time, I would probably think differently, the lease payments on software and the latest camera gear would be regarded as being essential business expenses, which would be claimed against tax. As it is I steer a different road, minimising expenditure and making relatively small claims against tax.

Everyone is in a different situation, there's not a one size fits all solution.

Being retired, photography only contributes a small proportion of my income, so I try to spend a proportionally small amount on kit and software.

If I were doing this full time, I would probably think differently, the lease payments on software and the latest camera gear would be regarded as being essential business expenses, which would be claimed against tax. As it is I steer a different road, minimising expenditure and making relatively small claims against tax.

Everyone is in a different situation, there's not a one size fits all solution.

I totally understand.

I haven't gone for Adobe's annual subscription because if I stop paying the annual fee, the software stops working.... 

I have some other software that I pay for by annual subscription. But its terms are different. If I don't renew the subscription then all that happens is the software version I already have just keeps on working and it's just the support and free updates to the latest version that stop.

If Adobe persist with their subscription model and don't update standalone LR, eventually I'll probably swap to something else. But for now I'm happy with LR6 and PSE8.

Thanks! I was just considering upgrading from v5 to 6. If that's all there is maybe I'll spend my $79 elsewhere.

Thanks! I was just considering upgrading from v5 to 6. If that's all there is maybe I'll spend my $79 elsewhere.

There have been massive changes from LR5 to LR6 and many of these are in the standalone version - significant speed enhancements introduced in 6.5 or 6.6 alone are worth upgrading. The worst thing for me about LR was always the slowness but it is a different program now on my machine at least. It's just some of the interim UI features that are not included, such as Guided Uprights - due to something in US law I read. I suggest downloading the trial if that is available standalone and seeing if you like it.

There have ben massive changes from LR5 to LR6 and many of these are in the standalone version - significant speed enhancements introduced in 6.5 or 6.6 alone are worth upgrading. The worst thing for me about LR was always the slowness but it is a different program now on my machine at least. It's just some of the interim UI features that are not included, such as Guided Uprights - due to something in US law I read. I suggest downloading the trial if that is available standalone and seeing if you like it.
I was full of resentment at seeing guided uprights because for a bit, I thought the older version was gone. It isn't. Took me a bit to work Guided, but now I use the regular, and if it doesn't do the job (it usually does) I do Guided. It works a treat.

Yes, LR6 has improvements over LR5, it appears that it is the new bits and pieces that have been added since introduction, e.g. haze filter, that are not included. I cottoned on to this after watching some of Julieanne Kost's video tutorials and realised that some of the features she was discussing were not included in my standalone copy.

It would be useful if Adobe were to publish a list of the differences between the latest versions  LR6 and CC, maybe they do, but  it may be as well hidden as the link to buy the standalone version...

I noticed that since updating, the map module in LR CC is painfully slow. Not map downloading, but the user interface itself, e.g., when you drag a photo into the map to add GPS coordinates to it.

Latest version of LR on MacOS Sierra (10.12.1).

No performance improvements noticed, and no bugs which are relevant for me were fixed.

Christoph

I noticed that since updating, the map module in LR CC is painfully slow. Not map downloading, but the user interface itself, e.g., when you drag a photo into the map to add GPS coordinates to it.

Latest version of LR on MacOS Sierra (10.12.1).

No performance improvements noticed, and no bugs which are relevant for me were fixed.

Christoph

I'm not seeing any slowness with the map module. Still on El Capitan.

Archived