• Johnnie5 - G0MY8N
    • Colin Woods - C04NR9
    • Simon Evans - F080NK
    • John Richmond - H7KAHH
    • NYCat - DDTD72
    • MariaJ - DCC78G
    • chrumu - H776AB
    • MDM - C1DNH1

The quality of entries of this challenge was astounding. I had a really hard time selecting only 8, as I had double that number in my lightbox.
So please don't feel left out if you're not on the list.

My final choice is mainly based on a combination of composition and atmosphere.

I'm thrilled to see such a great response. It's heart warming to see that people are still sensitive to nature.

Voting ends Wednesday 7th, midnight London time

Good luck! 

Johnnie5 - G0MY8N

a-lone-tree-in-a-vineyard-in-paso-robles

Colin Woods - C04NR9

sunset-behind-a-tree-over-lake-illawarra

Simon Evans - F080NK

a-bare-tree-in-winter-against-a-cloudy-s

John Richmond - H7KAHH

autumn-colour-intensifies-the-red-foliag

NYCat - DDTD72

lone-acacia-tree-storm-and-sunbeams-masa

MariaJ - DCC78G

walkway-lined-by-trees-covered-with-a-ca

chrumu - H776AB

pine-trees-in-a-foggy-forest-in-autumn-h

MDM - C1DNH1

the-weeping-willow-tree-central-park-pet

Thank you so much for including me. I didn't actually expect to do well in this one but when I started looking at my images I saw that some were favorites of mine. I remember that day in the Masai Mara. There had been a bad drought that year but almost every afternoon the storms would begin and the light was just wonderful coming through the clouds. It was good to see the rain begin to give some green to the dry grasslands.

Paulette

The quality of entries of this challenge was astounding. I had a really hard time selecting only 8, as I had double that number in my lightbox.

I'm thrilled to see such a great response. It's heart warming to see that people are still sensitive to nature.

Good luck!

Well thanks for including one of mine Gen.

In relation to what you say about sensitivity to nature, maybe we as photographers have a role to play in raising awareness of nature at what is without any doubt a critical time in the evolution of our beautiful little planet. That could be showing the beauty or showing the ugliness of what is happening - either way lets keep on shooting.

Thank you so much for including me. I didn't actually expect to do well in this one but when I started looking at my images I saw that some were favorites of mine. I remember that day in the Masai Mara. There had been a bad drought that year but almost every afternoon the storms would begin and the light was just wonderful coming through the clouds. It was good to see the rain begin to give some green to the dry grasslands.

Paulette

I realised that the majority of my choices are single trees. It was a subconscious decision. I find that they make for effective composition and mood. Yours is no exception.

I agree, some of my pictures have an emotional story attached to them similar to the one you described. I saw a phenomenal electric storm while camping alone with my other half in the Australian Outback, the smell of rain falling and bouncing off the red dirt, streams of water running down from the sand dunes towards our lone campervan by a saltpan. I'm totally with you here.

Gen 

Good luck!

In relation to what you say about sensitivity to nature, maybe we as photographers have a role to play in raising awareness of nature at what is without any doubt a critical time in the evolution of our beautiful little planet. That could be showing the beauty or showing the ugliness of what is happening - either way lets keep on shooting.

You're up late again MDM! I also liked your black and white image. In fact, in several instances, I had a hard time choosing only one entry per participant. 

Photographers have a role to play, true, but people must be willing to look at what we're trying to show them. I don't want to be pessimistic or disparaging but I worked for 20 years in a bank. I always was a square peg in a round hole. Sometimes I felt I had two noses for mentioning wildlife or photography.

I've always liked the category "the world in our hands" in the BBC Wildlife Competition (it had various names since, Veolia, etc. but I still call it that). Photographs in that category are powerful, a real eye opener.

Gen

Good luck!

You're up late again MDM! I also liked your black and white image. In fact, in several instances, I had a hard time choosing only one entry per participant. 

Gen

I'm up early as well - burning the candle at both ends. I'm glad you said that as the black and white one was my own favourite out of my entries and I actually uploaded it to Alamy specially to enter it in the competition. I've never done that before. In fact I've never submitted any of my monochrome images to Alamy. It's more pod material than stock I know.

Good luck!

Gen

I'm up early as well - burning the candle at both ends. I'm glad you said that as the black and white one was my own favourite out of my entries and I actually uploaded it to Alamy specially to enter it in the competition. I've never done that before. In fact I've never submitted any of my monochrome images to Alamy. It's more pod material than stock I know.

You were one of my dilema MDM. I really liked your black and white image but in the end I chose the selected one because I thought the composition and lines had a strong visual appeal.

I hesitated a long time between two entries from Colin Woods as well and so far, he has no vote for the chosen one. I feel bad.

Anyway, it's just my own taste and opinion, it does not mean a thing.

Thank you for including one of mine!

The atmosphere the fog was creating was great. Unfortunately I was in on the passenger seat car on the highway with no possibility to stop, so the picture was taken at 150mm, 1/500sec and 100km/h.  :)

Congrats to everyone shortlisted! There were so many beautiful images it must have been so hard to narrow the selection down, but a fantastic final 8  :)

The hardest was to come down from 9 to 8. It took a while....

Wow! Thank you for including my photograph. The standard of entries this month was very high so I am especially pleased to be up there in the final 8.

My pleasure. I knew at first sight that it was going to go in. A very atmospheric shot which elicited an instant wow! from me.

Gen

Guys, who's done that to me? I'm on the road, get to a town with Internet access with 10mn to spare and it's a tie!!

What to do now?

Come on Alamites, give us a few more votes.

Guys, who's done that to me? I'm on the road, get to a town with Internet access with 10mn to spare and it's a tie!!

What to do now?

Hi Gen,

Though I don't think its happened before, I have always felt that in the event of a tie the person who set the competition should have the deciding vote?

Regards

Kumar

What to do now?

Hi Gen,

Though I don't think its happened before, I have always felt that in the event of a tie the person who set the competition should have the deciding vote?

Regards

Kumar

Agreed, it's probably better that the setter does not vote until the last minute. 

NYCat congratulations on your win with this atmospheric shot! Well deserved. It was neck to neck.

You get to choose the next challenge, which I'm looking forward to.

Thank you all for your many brilliant entries.

Gen

Archived