On 8th November, 2006 I opened my Alamy account and sent off my first submission - ten years ago today!

This has given me the excuse to sift through the decade in terms of sales and content (and yes, I have better things to do):

Total sales 844

Best sales volume, 2016

Best selling image, B0CMB3

Best ever net sale, $ 5838.47 (2011) (edited)

Worst ever net sale, $0.35 (Mylene Klaas, 2011)

Man hours spent on keywording, unknown

Number of brand deletion requests (NT, Network Rail, Tate, Olympics etc,), unknown

Number of personal deletion requests, 1

Most used keyword (probably), "London"

Most frequent territory/usage, "Editorial, Media, Textbook - print and e-book"

So for those with a first foot on the ladder, I hope this encourages you!

Richard Baker.

Good question, Dougie. I go in fits and bursts. I started off with primitive digital submissions and quickly mixed them with scans from my film days going back to the mid-80s.

Today I mostly create digital work from personal projects and the odd commission but still do largish batches of old film scans - mostly this time of the year - so there's a mixture of current and archive being added all the time. And I also make sure that what I am having scanned (I outsource this) is a good mixture of subject matter: From 90s politicians to the contents of my compost bin plus lots in between.

Richard.

Thanks for that Richard. I wish I had continued my photography hobby in my teens but work and family took over. Therefor I can only add what I take now. I've missed the boat in more ways than one. I'm envious of your 17885 images and 5 years head start. I don't regret joining Alamy but it is hard to keep motivated so ten years is a good achievement. Well done again.

Excellent set of results Richard!  You have been active a bit longer than I have, but you have me well beaten on every parameter.  Suspect the London connection doesn't hurt.

$ 9730.78 - something to dream about!

Many congrats on your decade with Alamy Richard, bet that $9K sale put a smile on your face one morning?

My biggest year was 2007, during which I had two sales over $2K each. After that point I’ve always assumed a lot more competition jumped into the stock photography market, as the value of sales suddenly started to tumble. That said, your big sale coming in 2011 is massive encouragement to all!

In the interests of continuing this, my best seller (number of sales) has sold seven times, though it’s total only amounts to $747

My best seller (value) has sold 6 times, total $3414. It’s best sale was $2113, and it’s lowest $8.00

Yes, congratulations, Richard. I started submitting via CD's in 2007 (made my first sale in Aug. 2007), so I'll be looking at a tenth anniversary next year. Yikes!

No huge individual sales to report, but with a little luck I'll be hitting $60K in total gross earnings this month. As an aging part-timer, I'm very happy with this amount.

Too bad I've managed to spend it all (and a heck of a lot more) over the years. B)

I've got to ask, what sold for $ 9730.78, and did you ever see where it was used?

My apologies but I should have stated that sale was gross so the net was $5838.47. I have edited my original post accordingly. I never did see where it was used though the usage states Worldwide advertising, Billboard etc. No Google Image search ever found it either - not that billboards show up that way.

.. Suspect the London connection doesn't hurt.

You might be partly right, Bryan. But remember cities like London are hugely over-represented in places like Alamy. The advantage is perhaps, that as a centre of population there's generally more going on daily.

.. Suspect the London connection doesn't hurt.

You might be partly right, Bryan. But remember cities like London are hugely over-represented in places like Alamy. The advantage is perhaps, that as a centre of population there's generally more going on daily.

Most of my photography is done in London these, and most of my sales come from the resulting pics - but not the most money. 

Good stuff and Congratulations !

Let's hope we can all contribute here for at least another 10 years...  (so long as it's profitable for both us and Alamy ).

Just noticed in My Alamy that it's my 12th year anniversary with Alamy this Thursday. And only now have I passed the 4000 mark. It takes a while to find your feet !

I too have just over ten years here, although I don't really upload much these days.

My energy now goes into a couple of boutique agencies where the rewards are considerably better.

Although my portfolio is relatively small, I consider it to be reasonably tightly edited.

I'm constantly going through my images culling what I now consider unworthy, deleting and updating keywords to keep my CTR high.

During my time here my sales have slowly increased year on year, but my revenue has remained almost static.

I know it's not Alamy's fault that the returns per image are diminishing, and I do appreciate the monthly bank transfer.

My figures...

996 sales

Best sale $7,200

Worst $4.25

Tony

Had a few sales but any helpful hints? Keyboarding I guess

have a look here....

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/6546-taking-stock/

and you dont have to be in a city to make sellable images

km

and there's a difference between pictures taken in a city and those taken of the city.

Archived