Sales for two of my photographs used by the Telegraph back in February and April showed up yesterday, I don't know if my emailing Alamy about them at the end of August had anything to do with it!

Alan

Hi Snap.

Don't think I've sold to the Telegraph. Actually a Telegraph photographer downloaded my pics of James Murdoch, offered me £20 then didn't cough up. 

I find The Sun good payers. My Corbyn pictures have done well with The Sun. It must annoy Corbyn but they are not gargoyle photos and he looks quite dignified. Who says The Sun only want Labour leaders with a bacon butties slobbering from their mouths. 

Best wishes and hope you get paid. 

Adrian. 

Yes, vpics. I even have a picture of the photographer on the day, Well his back. Seen him before and - can't remember his name. It was on 10th July 2011 at the height of the phone hacking scandal when photographers were waiting for Murdoch to emerge with Rebekah Brooks from Murdoch's Mayfair apartment. I went up a passageway at the back of the Stafford Hotel and found James Murdoch sneaking in for a meeting with his father. I then went round to St James's place to see the photographers and told them I'd got pictures of James and then Telegraph guy asked for the pictures. I gave him my SD Card and he said he'd give me £20. Later Murdoch emerged with Brooks so the James shots were less of interest. Still a deals a deal. I should have held my hand out. 

I was also ripped off by Trout and Salmon magazine for £30. They used a photo of mine I sent in to them of a famous spey caster, Scott Mackenzie at the CLA Game Fair on 27th July 2008 and sent me £15. I didn't cash the cheque immediately i.e. a month went by. I put the cheque in my bank but it bounced. I spoke to Trout and Salmon and they said they had changed their bank and they wouldn't send me another. Next year to advertise the Game Fair my photo was used again. I complained but no money was sent to me, so effectively I missed out on £30. This is how annoying some magazines can be. As I fish I buy Trout and Salmon magazine so I feel I really was being fleeced. 

I had one of my pictures used by telegraph. 

They have used it before but bought it as one off. No sale is show at my Alamy to date.

The Times used an image of mine in January and then again in August this year. It was the same image - of an Apache helicopter - despite the fact that I had since uploaded more recent and probably better quality images of the same subject. That makes me think that they've kept it on file but been honest enough to pay for the additional licence.

Only two sales to the Telegraph, both of which were reported to me the following day by the Alamy team. Second time they even sent me a PDF of it.

However, in both cases it took three months before it showed up in my sales feed.

Edit: both these sales via Livenews, rather than via stock.

In my experience it can take many months before the Telegraph pay. In the past I have asked MS to chase. Not aware of any issues with other papers.

dov

Don't know which UK newspaper it was that used one of our images in March, but 7 months on we haven't been paid!

Archived