After the recent announcement about Fuji's medium format mirrorless camera, I am wondering what opinions exist...

By virtue of sensor size, I expect that image quality will be "better" than most current FF cameras - and I hope the GFX 50s will prove beneficial/useful for pro-level travel, street/reportage and fine art photography.

However, with the A7rii currently available (I already own 35mm and Hasselblad V system lenses) - I'm wondering if the wait, unknown cost and inevitable difference in size and weight will be beneficial...

I've read the review of the prototype revealed at photokina. Looks pretty big and with a price tag suggested $10,000 area. It reminds me of the time I splashed out on a 67 Pentax thinking it would be like a bit bigger 35mm. Well it certainly wasn't that, but I did get a lot of good shots with it. And a lot of not-so-good stuff for the bin. Clients loved the nice big trannies, my shoulders weren't so keen.

Given the quality of the sensors in the full-frame current 35mms I don't really see much point in this and the few other medium format options. Looking at it with the grip added, it's a whopper! The Hasselblad  mirrorless is very trim in comparison. Neither option will offer a really wide lens which is always a problem with a new system

But then, I don't see why anyone in their right mind would plump for something like an Aston Martin. Clearly I stand no chance as the next Bond. I think I've left it a bit late anyway.

Archived