New member from Norway

Terje Helberg

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member here, and a newbie in stock photos as well. But, I'm willing to learn from the best :)

My test submission has passed, and I have captioned and keyworded them. But, how can I choose in which category they will pop up? I can't find that in the guidlines...

Anyway, here I am :)

Welcome, Terje

I don't bother with "Creative." "New" is recent submissions. I use "Relative" 98.6% of the time, but feel free to check them all until you form your own opinion. It's easy to do. (Bergen, a charming little city.)

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member here, and a newbie in stock photos as well. But, I'm willing to learn from the best :)

My test submission has passed, and I have captioned and keyworded them. But, how can I choose in which category they will pop up? I can't find that in the guidlines...

Anyway, here I am :)

You can't choose. They will show in New and Relevant. The Creative category is a bit mysterious and you may find at some point that some of your images turn up there. Alamy chooses the ones they think are most suitable for commercial sales.

Paulette

Velkommen,

hilsen en kollega I Oslo!

If by category you think about "Travel" "Architecture" and so on, I believe that is done automatic or manually by Alamy  based on  the keywords you write.

Looking forward to seeing some west coast pictures.

Grethe

Thank you all, for commenting. I see now that I can't choose category - and that's one thing less to concentrate about :)

Jansons: We have the northern lights in Bergen, now and then. Here is the link to a aurora photo from my own porch.

I have a lot of photos from coastal environment to process, so be patient ;)
It will be interesting to see how this leads :)

Thank you all, for commenting. I see now that I can't choose category - and that's one thing less to concentrate about :)

Jansons: We have the northern lights in Bergen, now and then. Here is the link to a aurora photo from my own porch.

Most impressive. When do they occur? All year round?

Most impressive. When do they occur? All year round?

Mostly late summer, autumn and winter, when the sky is clear and cold. It will be stronger and brighter as you go further north.

with only 4 diverse photos to look at, it's hard to comment usefully. I find it hard to understand why some choose to post pix as Black and White. If clients want B&W they can convert from colour and use their own preferences, they can't go the other way. There are quite a few contributors whe have a prference for B&W but post the colour version as well to keep their options open .Incidentally, probably the most interesting thing about the B&W coffee shop photo is the sign to the right in English. Multi-lingual signs do quite well in my experience.

You say you have coast environmental shots in the pipeline: Alamy as a company has a very Green/Environmantal attitude and this used to be noted by clients, but I'm not sure how well this is playing out now that the numbers have grown so much.

Anyway, good luck and aim for something like a thousand well edited and key worded images in the coming year. That's the kind of size of portfolio when you can start to see regular sales. Faster than that will almost certainly entail negative short-cuts and be counter-productive

regards( fond memories of Bergen)....Robert

Hi Terje

Welcome.

A few comments to your pictures:

Jaguar hood ornament: this picture can't be sold as RF since you don't have a property release for the Jaguar ornament. You should change it to RM (either by writing to member services, or by indicating yourself that you don't have a property release).

Coffee shop: I like the B&W shot in this case. Add only keywords of things the picture is of, not just everything visible. E.g., although there is an ashtray in the picture, it is not relevant to the picture. Same with cigar and pavement, IMO. I'd therefore remove those keywords. Also, I feel a bit distracted if vertical lines are not vertical... same like a crooked horizon.

"Hay" bale: Consider that the caption is searchable, therefore this picture will also come up for searches for animal feed and the like. Also, this is not grass but crop stalks and thus not hay but straw. trees is an irrelevant keyword.

Bike: Same as above. Unless it is relevant that the picture has been taken around Bergen, remove it from the caption, else your picture will show up for searches you don't want to.

Still, your keywording is better than that of many other newbies.

regards

Christoph

with only 4 diverse photos to look at, it's hard to comment usefully. I find it hard to understand why some choose to post pix as Black and White. If clients want B&W they can convert from colour and use their own preferences, they can't go the other way. There are quite a few contributors whe have a prference for B&W but post the colour version as well to keep their options open .Incidentally, probably the most interesting thing about the B&W coffee shop photo is the sign to the right in English. Multi-lingual signs do quite well in my experience.

You say you have coast environmental shots in the pipeline: Alamy as a company has a very Green/Environmantal attitude and this used to be noted by clients, but I'm not sure how well this is playing out now that the numbers have grown so much.

Anyway, good luck and aim for something like a thousand well edited and key worded images in the coming year. That's the kind of size of portfolio when you can start to see regular sales. Faster than that will almost certainly entail negative short-cuts and be counter-productive

regards( fond memories of Bergen)....Robert

Hi Robert, and thank you for your advices. I will keep that in mind. And, I'm pretty sure that I will manage to keep my images below thousand a year :)

Btw, ten more photos has now passed QC, and I'm just finished captioning and keywording...

Hello Terje,

Welcome to Alamy.

Since you seem to be a pure photographer with Alamy you made the right choice. Alamy has for me this photography feeling while many other agencies are an photo/vector hybrid.

Good luck.

Mirco

Hello Terje,

Welcome to Alamy.

Since you seem to be a pure photographer with Alamy you made the right choice. Alamy has for me this photography feeling while many other agencies are an photo/vector hybrid.

Good luck.

Mirco

Hi Mirco, and thanks :)

It will be interesting to see the response to the photos eventually. I'm still in a learning process when it comes to keywording. Time will tell if the images will be found at all. :)

Archived