Land of Milk and Honey?

For the last few years we have enjoyed visiting our son and his family in NYC, and then touring around the eastern seaboard of the USA.

I know my collection is relatively tiny, so statistically insignificant, but the small number of images that I have available from the USA consistently outperform my British and particularly European collections. 

For example, this month my best $$ sale is of a mundane people free shot taken in small town America, while I also recorded the only two zooms from a popular tourist destination. In contrast, it now seems to be the case that a zoom of virtually any UK based image is one of several from competitors, while, for the last few months, nothing from the UK has approached a 3 figure sale. 

It looks like our family is returning home later this year, so I'm looking forward to a Xmas together, but will miss our adventures over the pond.

You stock photographers from the US don't know you're born.....  :)

Thank you for your favorable thoughts on our East Coast, Bryan. :) 

For a time I found that being back in NYC (I'm from Brooklyn) was not where I wanted to be. I lived in England for 7 years and on the Continent for 8 more, and I've done a lot of traveling. All that is behind me now, and I find that NYC is not such a bad place to be stuck.

My American sales do realize higher prices, and most of my sold subjects were captured in walking distance of my front door in Lower Manhattan.  

For the last few years we have enjoyed visiting our son and his family in NYC, and then touring around the eastern seaboard of the USA.

I know my collection is relatively tiny, so statistically insignificant, but the small number of images that I have available from the USA consistently outperform my British and particularly European collections. 

For example, this month my best $$ sale is of a mundane people free shot taken in small town America, while I also recorded the only two zooms from a popular tourist destination. In contrast, it now seems to be the case that a zoom of virtually any UK based image is one of several from competitors, while, for the last few months, nothing from the UK has approached a 3 figure sale. 

It looks like our family is returning home later this year, so I'm looking forward to a Xmas together, but will miss our adventures over the pond.

You stock photographers from the US don't know you're born.....  :)

You lucky chap, "a 3 figure sale' - do they ever happen this side of the pond? I did have one once but it got cancelled the next day! :-(

Yes I have had three figure sales.

And I do not mean £1.99  :D

Allan

EDIT: Having just looked at my sales there does seem to be a lot more £x.xx sales though. :(

ITMA

Even though I live within spittin' distance of the US border and I've travelled quite a bit stateside, my collection of US images on Alamy is relatively small. However, some do occasionally fetch good prices.

My lands of leche y miel lie farther to the south, but that's because I have much deeper coverage of Latin America.

I think it's fair to say, though, that the Good Ol' USA remains the highest paying market for photos, no matter where they were taken.

Well these days, about all I can buy with the rates we are getting here in the good ole USA, is milk and some honey.

You could always skip the honey. With the low loonie, there must be some great deals on 100% pure Canadian maple syrup down your way.

Spitting at the USA? When Trump gets his second wall up (which Canada will pay for) you won't be able to do that. 

I don't consume milk, but I have some honey everyday on my oatmeal and blueberries. My coffee is strong and dark, like my heart. 

Spitting at the USA? When Trump gets his second wall up (which Canada will pay for) you won't be able to do that. 

I don't consume milk, but I have some honey everyday on my oatmeal and blueberries. My coffee is strong and dark, like my heart. 

Sorry, bad choice of words. Didn't mean to suggest I was actually spitting your way.

If The Donald gets in, we'll sell his ugly towers in Vancouver and Toronto to foreign real estate investors. That should more than pay for the wall.

I've switched to using almond milk on my morning oatmeal and blueberries. It's a tasty alternative to moo juice.

Sorry, bad choice of words. Didn't mean to suggest I was actually spitting your way.

If The Donald gets in, we'll sell his ugly towers in Vancouver and Toronto to foreign real estate investors. That should more than pay for the wall.

I've switched to using almond milk on my morning oatmeal and blueberries. It's a tasty alternative to moo juice.

Please don't say that, John . . . it gives me the shakes.  :wacko:

If The Donald wins you'll need a yuge wall to keep all of us south of the 49th out.

If The Donald wins you'll need a yuge wall to keep all of us south of the 49th out.

Don't worry. Everything's gonna be GREAT. Gonna be GREAT.

I'll be meeting with the president of Canada soon. He thinks the wall is a GREAT idea. Canadians love me.

D.J.T.

My American sales do realize higher prices, and most of my sold subjects were captured in walking distance of my front door in Lower Manhattan.  

Must be like living in a goldmine Edo.  ;)

I've just recorded another reasonable US based sale on the last day of this month, and my only zoom over the bank holiday weekend was from your side of the water. 

I also make most of my sales from subjects that are reasonably local, probably within a 20 mile radius of where I live (avoiding the sector that is a tad wet :rolleyes: ), but the USA seems to be the place to make the $$$.

I finally visited NYC for the 1st time in August. Loved it as a place and I feel i could stay for months even years and not be artistically bored. My trip was a surprise (for me) and so I was mainly touristy with short fixed lenses.. hopefully there will be some sales, hopefully I can justify another (longer, non-surprise) trip.. 

I have heard a rumour that Donald’s wall, both North and South, will be an iron curtain with machine guns on the guard towers pointing INTO the USA. The Canadian wall is a matter of national security for Canadians, in order to keep out all those American guns and drugs.

I think the American problems are old ones, race, culture, class, exacerbated since 2008 by a bad economy. Americans have already fought one civil war based on these very issues.

All kidding aside, I have a lot of American friends, and I really fear for them. Better get the spare room ready.

I have heard a rumour that Donald’s wall, both North and South, will be an iron curtain with machine guns on the guard towers pointing INTO the USA. The Canadian wall is a matter of national security for Canadians, in order to keep out all those American guns and drugs.

I think the American problems are old ones, race, culture, class, exacerbated since 2008 by a bad economy. Americans have already fought one civil war based on these very issues.

All kidding aside, I have a lot of American friends, and I really fear for them. Better get the spare room ready.

I fear for the entire planet. Any spare rooms available on Mars? B)

I have a room waiting in Montreal. I even learned to say "I'm sorry, but I don't speak French" in French. 

It seems we learned nothing from Prohibition here. In Portugal they seems to be on the right path. https://mic.com/articles/110344/14-years-after-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-here-s-what-s-happening#.n6N9Cs9tj

Well, in my case, I'm very worried about the possibility of living next door to a powerful country led by someone whom I consider to be extremely dangerous.

But, yeah, you're right. This is supposed to be a photo forum. Back to the land of milk and honey...

Archived