A huge thanks to my QC person

I uploaded 15 images yesterday. In one image, I removed some power wires and fixed a place in some grass. My eyesight/ specs aren't the best right now, so I must've missed some tiny bit during the 100% inspection. This morning I had a QC failure waiting for me. I didn't have to wait 28 days. Reason? "Obvious retouching"

Yippee, thank you, QC!

I'm assuming when one gets an immediate fail, one can upload again with no penalty.

I reprocessed the image with no fixes and uploaded the batch again.

I'm very appreciative. And I'm addressing my vision problems soon. Takes awhile to get an appointment.

Ed,

A Swiss friend of mine use to call it "Out-ta-focus."

Betty,

I don't use prescription glasses for computer work.  I use off the shelf

+2.00 reading glasses.  I had a special set of glasses made for

me, just for working at the computer, but the off the shelf readers still

work the best for me on both my laptop and 24 inch monitor.

Chuck

I also have reason to thank QC Betty, as some of my early submissions were pretty dreadful, and I got a timely lesson in what was required. 

I use vari focals for shopping, driving  (mainly reading the satnav/dashboard info) and reading, but I find that a pair of fixed magnification specs are necessary for computer work and reading music.

If out on the bike I often carry a pair of pound shop specs hung around my neck.  If your eyes have nearly equivalent failings then the pound shop solution is fine, but, for many folk, each eye needs a different prescription, which becomes more apparent for precision work.

The dioptre correction on my NEX 6 viewfinder is enough for me to do without glasses for manual focus - at the moment.....

To be serious for a moment, I too use drugstore glasses for reading and at the computer. If you have an astigmatism, however, you need a Rx glasses for that. And I too find that the diopter on my cameras work out my vision problems while shooting. But I am overdue for a trip to the eye doctor.  B)

I have astigmatism. So if I go out and look at the moon, I see two moons, one superimposed over the other about 2/3rds. I've always used prescription readers for computer distance since I like the large viewing area.

Unless ones glasses sit on the face perfectly straight, the astigmatism correction is thrown off. And it seems my glasses always need adjusting!

My prescription for astigmatism changes a lot.

I'm always swimming against the tide.

For working with computer screen in low ambient light, anti-reflection coating makes a big difference. I don't think many of the cheap non-prescription reading glasses have this.

I think you are right, Mark. By the way, the images passed after I corrected the one in question. :)

Betty, have you considered contact lenses? Hubby has astigmatism in one eye, and gets a toric lens. When wearing it, he sees one perfectly round moon, not one shaped like an egg.

I can't wear contacts. I have dry eyes. I worked for an Ophthalmologist for 10 years and saw too many people have to give up their contacts because of dry eyes, including my daughter. I wish I could wear them. :( Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I have astigmatism. So if I go out and look at the moon, I see two moons, one superimposed over the other about 2/3rds. I've always used prescription readers for computer distance since I like the large viewing area.

Unless ones glasses sit on the face perfectly straight, the astigmatism correction is thrown off. And it seems my glasses always need adjusting!

Close one eye. Simples. ;)

Allan

Close one eye. Simples. ;)

Allan

Doesn't work that way, Allan. Each cornea is off, the curve is different from east/west, than it is north/ south. Think of the back of a spoon, instead of a golf ball, just not that exaggerated. What happens is the light from the curve going top to bottom of the eye may be focused slightly behind the retina, and the light from the side to side curve may be focused slightly in front of the retina. Each eye sees with a blur or slight double vision, one eye can be worse than the other. So for 20-20 vision or better, (I used to have 20-15 both eyes with no correction) the light from all directions needs to be focused exactly on the retina.

Those moons are there no matter which eye I close, or with both open.

I lost my eagle vision as astigmatism had its way with me over time.

My astigmatism isn't severe. I can drive fine with no glasses. Read street signs? Not very well.

Where it gets me is the fine detail inspecting my images. And, of course, moon gazing! ;)

I figure my eyeglass prescription has changed once again.

Sorry I may have rankled you Betty but what I said above was in jest. :(

I had a friend who is an optometrist and really knew about astigmatism years ago as he explained it to me when he got to know I was into photography.

Allan

Sorry I may have rankled you Betty but what I said above was in jest. :(

I had a friend who is an optometrist and really knew about astigmatism years ago as he explained it to me when he got to know I was into photography.

Allan

You didn't rankle me. Now, hubby when he asks me the same question over and over in a 15 minute time span, eventually rankles me. :)

Edited to add. I think astigmatism is contagious. ;) when I went to work for an ophthalmologist I had better than 20-20 vision. When I left 10 years later, I had astigmatism. I had to have caught it when I put dilation drops in all those patients' eyes. ;)

Betty, have you considered contact lenses? Hubby has astigmatism in one eye, and gets a toric lens. When wearing it, he sees one perfectly round moon, not one shaped like an egg.

I can't wear contacts. I have dry eyes. I worked for an Ophthalmologist for 10 years and saw too many people have to give up their contacts because of dry eyes, including my daughter. I wish I could wear them. :( Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Betty, I also have pretty dry eyes, (due to a health problem), and have been wearing contacts for over 20 years. I currently  (for the past 10 years or so) wear the monthly contacts, but take them out every night. I generally try to limit wear to around 10 hours a day as I find longer irritates my eyes. I've tried a few different brands over the years, most were uncomfortable by the end of the day, so I've always gone back to my original brand ( which are the most expensive). So perhaps the one of the newer contacts might work for you....guess it's worth a try? Even if you could just wear them for editing? Would your eye doctor give you a sample pair to try out?

Betty, I also have pretty dry eyes, (due to a health problem), and have been wearing contacts for over 20 years. I currently  (for the past 10 years or so) wear the monthly contacts, but take them out every night. I generally try to limit wear to around 10 hours a day as I find longer irritates my eyes. I've tried a few different brands over the years, most were uncomfortable by the end of the day, so I've always gone back to my original brand ( which are the most expensive). So perhaps the one of the newer contacts might work for you....guess it's worth a try? Even if you could just wear them for editing? Would your eye doctor give you a sample pair to try out?
My eyes are so dry that I have to use saline in an eyewash cup several times a day to liquefy the gumminess. I also use artificial tears. Even with all that, I sometimes (maybe once or twice a month) wake up in the mornings with my lids glued to my corneas, and pull off corneal cells when I open them.

That's painful, and I spend most of the day in pain. There is no working at my craft on those days.

No way can I wear contacts. My daughter has dry eyes, but not as bad as mine. She had to give up her contacts 3 years ago. But it's a nice thought, and I appreciate your thinking of me.

A funny story connected with that. Last April, I woke up in the night and needed the bathroom. I couldn't open my eyes because they were glued. My bathroom has a wide door from the bedroom, where the sink is. There's another narrower door from there to the room where the toilet and shower is. I have a night light in the sink area.

So I hop out of bed, barely crack one eye trying to see. I misjudge, knock my shoulder HARD on the wide door frame since I'm moving fast.

That sends me off balance and windmilling toward the 2nd door frame. Which I slam my right foot into and break my little toe. From there, I crash into my closet door, bounce around, and end up draped over the toilet, which for a moment I wondered if I might need to upchuck in because of the pain in my foot.

Throughout, I protected my eyes by only cracking the one barely until I could grab the eyewash.

I piled back into bed mumbling, "Gosh darn, that hurts", stuck my foot over the side of the bed ( couldn't stand the weight of the covers) and went back to sleep. (Yes, I should have iced it)

The next morning, the colors of my foot were spectacular, my little toe was as red and round as a cherry, and walking was difficult for weeks. It's been nearly 6 months and the only shoes I can wear are the sandals with one strap between my toes. Yikes! Cold weather is just around the corner!

A funny story connected with that. Last April, I woke up in the night and needed the bathroom. I couldn't open my eyes because they were glued. My bathroom has a wide door from the bedroom, where the sink is. There's another narrower door from there to the room where the toilet and shower is. I have a night light in the sink area.

So I hop out of bed, barely crack one eye trying to see. I misjudge, knock my shoulder HARD on the wide door frame since I'm moving fast.

That sends me off balance and windmilling toward the 2nd door frame. Which I slam my right foot into and break my little toe. From there, I crash into my closet door, bounce around, and end up draped over the toilet, which for a moment I wondered if I might need to upchuck in because of the pain in my foot.

Throughout, I protected my eyes by only cracking the one barely until I could grab the eyewash.

I piled back into bed mumbling, "Gosh darn, that hurts", stuck my foot over the side of the bed ( couldn't stand the weight of the covers) and went back to sleep. (Yes, I should have iced it)

The next morning, the colors of my foot were spectacular, my little toe was as red and round as a cherry, and walking was difficult for weeks. It's been nearly 6 months and the only shoes I can wear are the sandals with one strap between my toes. Yikes! Cold weather is just around the corner!

If that's one of your funny stories, what must your nightmares be like! Good job you have a sense of humour.  :)

If that's one of your funny stories, what must your nightmares be like! Good job you have a sense of humour.  :)

Mark, you don't want to hear about my nightmares. If I ever die in my sleep, that's why.

I find a good sense of humor gets me through the tough times. When I started chemo years ago, my daughter accompanied me to the cancer center to pick out 2 free wigs. The both of us tried on outrageous ones and screamed with laughter. Then I told her I might just decide to forego wigs and paint a rattlesnake on my bald cranium.

Laughter is the best medicine you can have. And it's free.

Mark, you don't want to hear about my nightmares. If I ever die in my sleep, that's why.

I find a good sense of humor gets me through the tough times. When I started chemo years ago, my daughter accompanied me to the cancer center to pick out 2 free wigs. The both of us tried on outrageous ones and screamed with laughter. Then I told her I might just decide to forego wigs and paint a rattlesnake on my bald cranium.

Laughter is the best medicine you can have. And it's free.

You could have painted some rabbits on your head. From a distance they look like hares (hairs). :D

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived