Thanks funkyworm.  If I've never heard of a company before, and no one I know nor any YouTuber I trust recommended it, i'm a bit more careful.  So it didn't help when only some sites seemed to be using these pictures, but now I'm feeling better about this since so many people defended the company so quickly against criticism.

EDIT:  Wow, that's pretty good Callie!!

From a US contributor here.

If you knocked on a stranger's door and was welcomed into the house by the homeowner, (you knocked on Alamy's door and were welcomed in) would you begin criticizing the home, it's decorations and the owner the minute you walked through the door? I sure wouldn't.

If I wanted a good relationship with the owner and the people who visited, it would not happen with criticism and derogatory remarks. I would try to build a friendly relationship with those sitting about visiting each other (the forum) and not bite the hand that feeds me (Alamy) or at least, gives me the opportunity to earn food.

This is a great forum. We have welcomed the newbies over and over and helped them. But when you bite Mom's hand (Alamy) without getting to know her, her children bite back.

Betty

If you knocked on a stranger's door and was welcomed into the house by the homeowner, (you knocked on Alamy's door and were welcomed in) would you begin criticizing the home, it's decorations and the owner the minute you walked through the door? I sure wouldn't.

If I wanted a good relationship with the owner and the people who visited, it would not happen with criticism and derogatory remarks. I would try to build a friendly relationship with those sitting about visiting each other (the forum) and not bite the hand that feeds me (Alamy) or at least, gives me the opportunity to earn food.

This is a great forum. We have welcomed the newbies over and over and helped them. But when you bite Mom's hand (Alamy) without getting to know her, her children bite back.

Betty

A massive +1 Betty.

I'm sorry Betty, I'm convinced you have yet to read through the topic up to this point, but instead you've read - at most - only one or two replies.  All my questions have been answered, negativity (at least towards Alamy) gone, and now I'm having a more calm and friendly discussion.  I understand that you like your analogies, and that one was good.  Now please, stop trying to take us back to anger and negativity.  Your comment is mostly unwelcome.

Betty

Maybe Dutch ancestry ;-)

wim

To Bob, the OP

I did not see a question in your original post.

Please keep in mind that this is from someone

who has been in the photo agency business for

over three decades and is very fond of Alamy.

My only thought to you: "Don't let the door hit

you on the way out."

Chuck

P.S. concerning another poster, I do not "sell"

images and I do not allow Alamy to "sell" any

of my images, I am happy for Alamy to license

them.

Bobdabiulder,

I tried to verify some sort of meaning into your unusual pseudo in case it was a spelling mistake but you have since responded that it was not. To cut a long story short I entered 'biulder' into my net search engine and came up with the product I mentioned which is for sale on ebay from the US. It's just sometimes good to include a little bit of humour/humor to lighten-up the day and provoke some thought back into your criticisms.

As several forum members have mentioned, questions, discussions, and responses on this site can be mutually helpful and informative. It's a free world and you can criticize but try not to alienate yourself from this community at the same time.

Just my 'two pennyworth' and that's it from me.

Jim.    

I'm sorry Betty, I'm convinced you have yet to read through the topic up to this point, but instead you've read - at most - only one or two replies.  All my questions have been answered, negativity (at least towards Alamy) gone, and now I'm having a more calm and friendly discussion.  I understand that you like your analogies, and that one was good.  Now please, stop trying to take us back to anger and negativity.  Your comment is mostly unwelcome.

....and if you bite our big sister you're liable to get a nip too.

Good luck and do come back, no point stepping off on the wrong foot.

Are you sure about that Brian? 

Verified but no images. Why would someone join and then immediately launch a not so subtle attack on the place they just joined?

Bill, since you're asking, I wasn't sure. However, there was a choice, the thread could take a "Bob misunderstands" direction or a "let's start a flame war" tack. A constructive discussion about why Bob's concerns were misplaced seemed like something worthwhile to do. Now I will grant you that in general, stock photography is a pretty mean and very competitive business but that doesn't mean that everybody is here to attack unless proven otherwise. Bob's questions were not worded as well as they could have been, but as I said, we should be willing to answer without attacking.

Bob, the writing issue is meaningful here because many Alamy contributors are also professional writers. It's been drummed into us.

Are you sure about that Brian? 

Verified but no images. Why would someone join and then immediately launch a not so subtle attack on the place they just joined?

Bill, since you're asking, I wasn't sure. However, there was a choice, the thread could take a "Bob misunderstands" direction or a "let's start a flame war" tack. A constructive discussion about why Bob's concerns were misplaced seemed like something worthwhile to do. Now I will grant you that in general, stock photography is a pretty mean and very competitive business but that doesn't mean that everybody is here to attack unless proven otherwise. Bob's questions were not worded as well as they could have been, but as I said, we should be willing to answer without attacking.

Bob, the writing issue is meaningful here because many Alamy contributors are also professional writers. It's been drummed into us.

Thanks Brian :)

Bobdabiulder,

I tried to verify some sort of meaning into your unusual pseudo in case it was a spelling mistake but you have since responded that it was not. To cut a long story short I entered 'biulder' into my net search engine and came up with the product I mentioned which is for sale on ebay from the US. It's just sometimes good to include a little bit of humour/humor to lighten-up the day and provoke some thought back into your criticisms.

As several forum members have mentioned, questions, discussions, and responses on this site can be mutually helpful and informative. It's a free world and you can criticize but try not to alienate yourself from this community at the same time.

Just my 'two pennyworth' and that's it from me.

Jim.

Thanks Jim. I assumed that your intention when you posted that was malicious, or at least negative, because that woulove followed the theme to that point. From what you're saying now, obviously I was wrong.

To all posters and viewers of this thread: sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, I hope next time we talk on here will be on better terms. Thread closed.

To Bob, the OP

I did not see a question in your original post.

Please keep in mind that this is from someone

who has been in the photo agency business for

over three decades and is very fond of Alamy.

My only thought to you: "Don't let the door hit

you on the way out."

Chuck

P.S. concerning another poster, I do not "sell"

images and I do not allow Alamy to "sell" any

of my images, I am happy for Alamy to license

them.

I agree with most of your post but that last bit is pedantic. I sometimes write "sell" but then if I think of it, change it to "license" just to satisfy people who love to find "fault" in everything. We all know what each other means though by "sell". It's the same with calling them "images" instead of "photos". They are photos (unless they're illustrations obviously) but in the stock industry everyone uses the word "images" and that's somehow caught on, and woe-betide anyone who calls them photos of photographs. It's all a bit silly though.

Geoff.

In the selling vs licensing discussion I think that we indeed sell. We sell licenses.  :)  ;)

To all posters and viewers of this thread: sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, I hope next time we talk on here will be on better terms. Thread closed.

I think that's indeed a good final statement for the main topic of this thread. Thank you, bob.

Christoph

Archived