This is an interesting point. My 8 year old became very familiar with another stock agency name which turned it to be because his teacher used watermarked images in class.

What is the position on watermarked image use? They are low resolution and advertise the agency. Are they allowed to be used?

I might go tabloid, but I suspect getting paid for that might also be tricky

I followed the twitter page through to their website, and reported it as an non emergency crime!

I'll wait and see if they get back to me

Quality :D .... oh I wish I could see their faces when they realise what they've done!!!!

This is an interesting point. My 8 year old became very familiar with another stock agency name which turned it to be because his teacher used watermarked images in class.

What is the position on watermarked image use? They are low resolution and advertise the agency. Are they allowed to be used?

No. It's infringement like any other.

It's also flagrant, which helps with the settlement. You can't plead ignorance (not that it's a defence) with the watermark staring you in the face.

Scrolling down the twitter feed it is clear they are not  in the habit of of using stock imagery and tend to use only their own images. The best thing that could come of this would be if this case (with an apology and proper reparation)  went viral and became an education to the millions of other social media users who don't understand the concept of copyright. 

Just found one of my watermarked alamy images used on a Twitter Feed, check out who is using it!

https://twitter.com/PSNIAntrim/status/755429813112954880

Did you get a 'screen shot'?

Screen grab taken, and archived, awaiting a reply.

Looking forward to the excuse (of the "he walked into my fist" type, perhaps)...

The Guardian, for a story??

Reminds me of a story from Sheila Smart a few years back where she chased the British police for using one of her images without license to promote crime prevention,  i think the subject was the stealing of bikes,  from what i recall Sheila received a handsome fee.

Paul.

Archived