Ok, So we all know that the rates for images are falling but hey, we are all to blame in someway, why?

Because we all use open forums where the topic of dismal pricing is openly discussed, buyers who were happy enough to pay a commercial rate for an image a few times a year, now have access to forums such as this. Result they feel shafted and then say they will only pay the lower price.

We need to do a number of things, either have the Alamy forum locked to contributors only, where things can be spoken of freely or we all start plastering forums with stories about how great it is we got €200 per image for magazine feature, do this and we set the perceived market price.

Think about this if your supermarket had products at one price on the shelf and then a poster on the door saying "guess what, your being shafted, we supply some customers way lower than the checkout price", how long do you think the supermarket would be in business or the queues at customer service would be seeking the heavy discounts? I have said it before, the internet is great but it is too open and drives distribution channels to the point that picture libraries are now. In reality if you asked most company owners, marketing managers how much a full page image for a brochure should be, they would not be able to tell you, but a few clicks around the forums and hey presto they know its 7-20 dollars!

I know there are more then one agency, and pricing will differ across markets. Its the principle of putting a positive message out to the marketplace. Big brands and Governments do it all the time.

Has anyone ever sold a licence to Nigeria?

both here and elsewhere

Usage: Editorial

Media: Internal newsletter

Industry sector: Non Profit/ Education

Sub-Industry: Charities

Print run: up to 10,000

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 1/8 page

Start: 28 January 2008

End: 04 February 2008

I am often skimming through U.S. published magazines looking for Alamy Credits.  Nearly all who do use Alamy are also buying from other agencies as well.  I would say that the other agencies get more images published per issue than Alamy and I don't think it is because Alamy does not have the image, I think it is simply cheaper to buy from the other agencies.  Alamy makes the sale when it has the image that can't be found elsewhere.  So as much as it pains us all that the prices are dropping, I don't think Alamy is the leading pack over the cliff, it may be other way around. 

isphoto, on 08 Jul 2016 - 2:25 PM, said:

snapback.png

I know there are more then one agency, and pricing will differ across markets. Its the principle of putting a positive message out to the marketplace. Big brands and Governments do it all the time.

You have positive news about stock?   :huh:

A few days ago, I received an invitation to speak about stock photography at a meeting of Belgian and Dutch nature photographers. I declined because all I can say to them is "You all missed the boat 7-8 years ago. Nature stock is totally oversaturated and the prices hardly cover your parking meter costs."

I don't think that's what they want to hear, but it's the blunt truth. I don't want to ruin their evening   -_-

Cheers,

Philippe

'Big brands and governments do it all the time '

and it does not have to be true - they just spin it! So perhaps we should pretend as well.

Regen

I am often skimming through U.S. published magazines looking for Alamy Credits.  Nearly all who do use Alamy are also buying from other agencies as well.  I would say that the other agencies get more images published per issue than Alamy and I don't think it is because Alamy does not have the image, I think it is simply cheaper to buy from the other agencies.  Alamy makes the sale when it has the image that can't be found elsewhere.  So as much as it pains us all that the prices are dropping, I don't think Alamy is the leading pack over the cliff, it may be other way around. 

Looking at my own sales on Alamy (especially repeat sellers), I'd say that you're correct, almost all the images that I license on Alamy are ones that buyers would have trouble finding elsewhere. Fortunately. I still have a few of those left in my collection. All my other images ... well that's another story.

Has anyone ever sold a licence to Nigeria?

Only once since 2003

Usage: Editorial

Media: Book, print and/or e-book

Print run: up to 25,000

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 1/8 page

Start: 01 October 2015

End: 01 October 2025

Textbook – print only

$ 44.74

Phillipe is right. Buyers shop around all the time and many pay hugely different prices, sometimes its really unbelievable. couple of weeks back I had exactly the same image selling in a micro for $.8, few days later same image clocked in $.640. Of course it was for a different usage but still.

just saying

Archived