I'm looking for a 2nd Camera - any advice?

My main camera is a Canon 5d mk 1 with a 24-70 lens.

I'm looking for something smaller, less conspicuous - say a Canon EOS M or Fuji X Pro1.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Tony

I've recently divorced a Nex-7 in favour of a Fuji X-E1. We are very happy. The Fuji is much more intuitibve to use. I had to read the manual a couple of times.

The image quslity from the Fuji is as good as "they" say but the Nex  is not bad at all. I much prefer the contols on the Fujis being much more like the manual cameras I grew up with. Smart move Fuji.

Canon Eos M might make more sense to you but try and handle these CSCs before you make your decision like I didn't. I don't think there are any bad CSCs although I understand some of the E mount lenses are not well regarded. Micro four thirdsid in

the lead for lens choice.

I hope this is of some help

Regards

John

Do you need an EVF?

:blink: ....... a what?

Cheers,

Philippe

An electronic view finder.

If you don't need a view finder then the Sony RX100. If you do like looking through a viewfinder then the Fuji series; for example the X100 but then do you need to able to zoom? Like Ed mentioned there are a ton of threads on this subject.

I use Nikons as my work horses but I ALWAYS carry an X Pro 1 with 18-35 & 55-200. I can't recommend it highly enough. I've found that I can carry it around comfortably in a small bag all day long, people don't take much notice whilst I'm shooting, the build quality is very good and the IQ is outstanding.  I think if I was buying into the system now, I might buy the XE1 and save a few quid though as I rarely use the OVF. 

I don't know about Canons, being a Nikon user, but I must say how important I find it having two cameras with more of less the same controls. I have a D300 and a D200, which are the same to use, with a couple of minor differences. I also have a D5200, which is a great camera, but very different from the other two where controls are concerned.

Being able to change settings without thinking is very useful.

"Something smaller, less conspicuous" - maybe not.

I use Nikons as my work horses but I ALWAYS carry an X Pro 1 with 18-35 & 55-200. I can't recommend it highly enough. I've found that I can carry it around comfortably in a small bag all day long, people don't take much notice whilst I'm shooting, the build quality is very good and the IQ is outstanding.  I think if I was buying into the system now, I might buy the XE1 and save a few quid though as I rarely use the OVF. 

+1 another very happy  X Pro1 user. 

I have gone for the Fuji X system. At the moment I have an XE-1 and the 18-55. I bought it to evaluate the system, more as a primary than a second camera; I am increasingly finding my Canon 1Ds3 outfit just too heavy and bulky which gets in the way of making pictures. I have been delighted after using the XE-1 for just 3 weeks on holiday in France.I got the sense of something special about the results with the first very ordinary pictures I shot in very flat light; I don't know what it is but suspect it may be increased micro-detail due to lack of anti-alias filter.

I will be extending my Fuji system as I can get a complete system in a small bag weighing less than my Canon and 24-105 lens. With a wide range of focal lengths (and especially with zooms) I felt that the optical finder of the X-Pro 1 would be largely redundant and of course more expensive for evaluation.I will probably wait for the X-Pro 2 before buying a second body. I am OK with EVF and as I don't shoot sport much these days (I did so professionally with both MF and AF cameras) but I think I will be able to use it for action as I become familar by reverting to old techniques.

I will be getting the 55-200 and 14mm Fuji lenses very shortly and others in due course. To fund the switch I will be selling most of my Canon kit after 37 years with the marque.

Same here, happy 5DMkII and 1D users, but wanted something smaller, something to carry around all day on a regular day, and not feel as if you were hit by a train the day after.

We went for the Fujifilm X-E1 with 18-55 lens (for now, more is coming ;-) ), and we were baffled by the result! This little thing can EASILY cope with the 5DII on IQ!

Personally, I like to work with 2 identical cameras (both 5Ds) with identical custom functions and often set with the same Tv, just with different lenses. This helps me work instinctively, avoiding any fumbling and missing pictures. 

But that's me.

Richard. 

Tony, Funnily enough, I purchased an EOS M last Saturday. I use a 5D but wanted something smaller to carry around but capable of producing quality images. My first thoughts were how small and light the camera is, but after playing around with it I found it to be quite a versatile piece of equipment. It came with an 18-55mm lens with image stabilizer and all the functions I use with the 5D are available here. There is a tripod attachment and an adapter is available should you need to use any other EOS lenses. I did find it strange looking at the screen to compose my shots instead of the normal viewfinder but am getting used to it. By the way, I got a £50 cash back with it which I believe is available until the end of this month. All in all, I am quite impressed, but that's just my opinion! Good luck with you choice.

Jim.

I thought about the EOS-M but the lack of a viewfinder was a killer and the compact, fast lenses of the Fuji clinched it. With the Canon  I would have been tempted to stay with existing lens and the bulk/weight of even EF-S lenses was just a complete no-no. My wife, my shoulder/neck and my osteopath would not be happy if I stayed with a weighty Canon outfit! At the end of the days there is nothing magic about an optical viewfinder of a dslr - it is just a way of showing what will be recorded, EVF arguably do that mnore accurately as they can also show exposure - they are not perfect but they are getting better all the time.

Once I saw the Fuji results I was hooked, especially as the auto-exposure produced impressive histograms. As I get more familiar with it there will be fewer circumstances when I need to use the Canon. If the eventual X-Pro 2 uses a 20+ Mp sensor (they source from Sony so quite possible) even better.

But the compact system camera is probably the future. DSLRs may become a niche like medium format which was still the everyday professional standard when I started photography.

No votes for the GX1.  I can throughly recommend it as a second body.  Lightweight, tough, and you can use all you old glass with adaptors.  I use it as a back cap for my aged Canon 800mm f/5.6 and olympus optics work beautifully as well.

Archived