Updating Live News Captions

I've uploaded a few Live News pictures now and they usually end up in my library on sale but with the original News caption e.g UK Weather. Rainy Day in etc. I'm never sure whether it is worth updating these captions once they are my library so that the caption less about the weather on a particular day.  Just curious to find out what other people do?  Is it with the effort to amend them? 

I usually wait a few weeks and then update the captions to make them look more like regular stock images.

Mind you, I upload to the news feed infrequently, and any sales that I've made of news images have been long after the fact. I've actually had a few very good sales from former news images, so I think that updating the captions and keywords is worth the effort.

I should perhaps, but I seldom do. I think they'll sell anyway. What is worse is that I sometimes use words in the news captions I don't want to be searchable later on. I have changed some in order to avoid the images to appear in searches for quite different topics. I always keyword while the images are in the news section.

I should perhaps, but I seldom do. I think they'll sell anyway. What is worse is that I sometimes use words in the news captions I don't want to be searchable later on. I have changed some in order to avoid the images to appear in searches for quite different topics. I always keyword while the images are in the news section.

Right, the extended news captions can cause images to show up in irrelevant search results. Another good reason for updating and pruning captions, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth editing out info that is useful to a news story but not to stock.

I was covering the tennis at Eastbourne last week and wrote long captions about the matches and who the game was between, score etc. Essential for a news pic the next day but largely irrelevant for stock images (pretty much).

If you do a search for any tennis player's name, you will get dozens of pictures of other players, because the caption and keywords included the name of the opponent. Doesn't help your Alamyrank at all and pretty frustrating for customers, I imagine. I once found an article about the death of Elena Baltacha, but the image used to illustrated it was a different player - who, as I found in the photo's caption - was playing Elena at the time.

After a few days I go through my tennis pics, move the caption to the 'description' field in case the info is of interest and and write a new shorter caption with the player's name and the location.

Archived