Hello I need some advice by fujifilm users. "Alea jacta est" I bought finally the X-T10, now after a week of use I need some advice. I'm happy because finally I can stay more time with the camera, like others I noticed that the reflex was more and more at home because too heavy and too much "visible" in some contest. The MR is less noticeable and above all light. At the moment in my bag there are the 18-135 and the 35 f2 and they meet my expectations, with time other lenses will be added. I was surprised by how good are the jpeg, but I also prefer the RAW that allow more fine tunes and as proof of originality and property of the pics. So are we are, at the moment I shoot RAW + Jpeg fine and is a must at the moment because I have some trouble with the converter. I work with LR 5.7.1 and the software don't read the X-T10 RAF, only chance to do this is an upgrade to LR 6. It's not something I really want at the moment, and by the way subscription is not for me. Now the only alternative that I know are Silkypix and Capture one. The first is something really hard to understand how to do a really effective workflow, I played with the trial version, but is all but "ergonomic". The good thing is that despite the fact that I find it tough, the images are pretty good. As workaround I tried to use the dng converter and then import the files in LR.  :wacko: Never seen something so bad. The are awful, CA, poor colors, at least all need some work only to achieve a sufficient result. In the end Capture one is the solution for the future. In the meantime I need some suggestions, there are other good converter that I don't know. There are some good resource/tutorial about silkypix to use the software until I'll be ready to get Capture one? And finally... keyword; there is a tool to import the LR keyword in Capture?

Thank you for your patience and hope someone can help me.

Capture One Pro will handle the metadata: keywords etc although it may need a bit of fiddling with the preferences for how they synchronise with LR (I use PhotoMechanic for keywording). Ideally you will need LR to create an .XMP file for each image, I am pretty sure it will.

C1 is great with Fuji RAF conversion and I believe Iridient is excellent too if you are using Apple Mac. Personally I would not use C1 (or indeed LR) for keywording, althopugh many people do, but I have a workflow that uses PhotoMechanic for that (and for preparing out of camera jpegs for timely news uploads).

Thank you Martin, I'll try PhotoMechanic some years ago I heard of it, but then I missing it and so I need to re-read a lot. I aware that LR is not the best tool to keyword but all depend how deep I'll use the keyword and if there are other function that are good to manage the library. As wrote I'll study; the change is an opportunity to learn new things. Ah, and thanks also for Iridient this is a new name so I can try it too. 

Martin your blog was really helpful, your articles (and naturally others) convinced me that fuji is a good choice for MR. At the time I'm really happy.

Thank you Betty, I'm sure I'll get a way to work this only "issue". Some good lens in your arsenal!

And I'll have the new X-T2 in my arsenal once it is released I'm sure it'll have the mp count of the Pro2, a welcome increase for stock.i sold off my Nikon gear, so the money is waiting for the release of the new camera and macro.

Thank you Betty, I'm sure I'll get a way to work this only "issue". Some good lens in your arsenal!

And I'll have the new X-T2 in my arsenal once it is released I'm sure it'll have the mp count of the Pro2, a welcome increase for stock.i sold off my Nikon gear, so the money is waiting for the release of the new camera and macro.

Me too, sold my Canon gear for the same purpose but in the meantime I will continue to enjoy my X-T1. After all it is still as capable as when I bought it.

Honestly I bought the x-t10 for the same reason; it's a really good camera and I saved some money for the next T2 if the specs will be as all expect. Maybe will be my next gift for Christmas....

Me too, sold my Canon gear for the same purpose but in the meantime I will continue to enjoy my X-T1. After all it is still as capable as when I bought it.

Me, too, Martin. Every time I shoot my T1, it's a joy. As I've said before, Fuji put the joy back into photography for me. I still, after two years with it, find myself amazed by the images it churns out. Of course, I have a bit to do with that. ;)

A bit of a story about the harvest shoot you see if you check my image number.

Last Sunday I headed out of the city on Hwy 3 going west. After 30 minutes or so, I came to a town called Okarche, knowing the wheat harvest had started and hoping I could find cutting in progress. I came around a big curve and started down a hill and there was the small town ahead.

I'm going 65 coming around the curve. The speed immediately drops to 55, then 45, then 35. All in about a block or two. You can't just take your foot off the gas, but must brake.

I missed seeing the 55mph sign because I was glancing from side to side looking for combines.

I see the 45mph and brake hard, brake again to 35. It really is a speed trap, and that's how these small towns raise funds to run the town.

Red lights flash behind me. Shoot! I pull into a parking lot, and when the officer gets out and starts walking to my car, I stick my head out of the window and said, "Did I do something wrong?"

He said I was doing 65 in the 55, did I miss a sign?

I say, yes, I'm sorry.

He says, well, I have to write you a warning ticket just so they know I'm doing my job.

I shrug, then point to my T1 with 50-140 in the passenger seat. I tell him I'm a stock photographer in town looking for harvest shots, did he know where cutting was happening?

He tells me which direction to go, then we chat about his job, where in Oklahoma he grew up, etc. etc.

next thing you know, he waves his hand at me and says, I can tell your law-abiding, go on, I'm not writing you a warning ticket.

I left, feeling like I made a friend. Drove where he said, got my shots.

• 2 weeks later...

I was really busy these past days, so an update. I tried some softwares to figure my future workflow-, at the moment nothing write on the stone but I'm leaning toward some software. First, what I tried: Photo Mechanic, Photo Supreme, Media Pro, Darktable, Iridient and Silkypix developer. All have pros and cons and in some months I'll try maybe Capture One. Naturally in so limited time I can report only impression to really know the software it takes times so all that I writing can be wrong for others. 

MediaPro I really cant work the interface and found it cumbersome  specially in keywording. Slow.

Photo Supreme on par with Mediapro, interesting as idea but not so easy (at least for me), to use. Again slow in keywording worst happened to freeze more than once. 

PhotoMechanic, fast, really fast not born for managing catalog but fit my workflow and I'm impressed. Approved. Specially for some of the next editorial event will be a "must" for ingest and prepare quickly the images. The learning curve is really "smooth"  respect Mediapro and Photo Supreme. 

Develop. There I'll take some more time, I'm sure that whatever in the end will be my choice I'll be happy. Both Iridient and Sylkypix work really well and I'm pleased with the final images. At the present time I'm leaning toward Iridient that seems a little bit more linear in the workflow and also a little bit more fast. 

In the end some quick words about darktable. I remembered this software because I tried at its early day on linux, run on mac and linux and it surprised me, really more step forward are made. I think that work really well with RAF files and is more near as concept to LR as all in one solution and need more study. I'll keep in my mac to develop sometimes the files.

I use the free Silkypix RAW EX 2.0 converter from Fujifilm along with LR 5.0 using this guys workflow:

He recommends not to use more than the "Native" sharpening level in Silkypix.

For me this combination of Silkypix for RAW conversion and LR for file importing/managment, noise reduction, cropping,  .jpg export etc. works well and puts out amazing files from my X-T1

Thank you Phil, I'm digging silkypix free and developer pro. I'll consider the advice about sharpening. I need to understand more how all these, new for me, softwares work the files and any suggestions is appreciated.

Archived