Hi All

I have just upgraded to windows 10 which has finally killed my legacy keywording workflow

I am looking for a tool that can help me:

1. easily sort individual keywords

2. remove duplicates 

3. if it can also suggest additional keywords that would be great

4. if it could correct or warn about my atrocious spelling - even better  

Some of you oldtimers will be able to recognize this as the now, completely dead (not mostly dead), ImageKeyworder 

Thanks for any and all pointers and suggestions 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Now that with the new image manager, we are limited to 50 keywords / tags, I just wanted to remind everybody about this lovely little application that counts words and characters, removes duplicate words and corrects spelling
mistakes.
You can also drag and drop the words around
Take a look at https://sellfy.com/p/P2Di/

I use this tool for keywording which helps me when I am stuck for keywords (all the time).  It automatically inserts commas in between the chosen keywords and it allows you to add keywords of your own.  Then its a simple copy and paste into the new AIM.  It also keeps a count on the amount of keywords.

• Like 1

I use this tool for keywording which helps me when I am stuck for keywords (all the time).  It automatically inserts commas in between the chosen keywords and it allows you to add keywords of your own.  Then its a simple copy and paste into the new AIM.  It also keeps a count on the amount of keywords.

That looks kind of useful!

Hi all!

I want to ask a question, a bit out of topic obviously. But this thing really makes me confuse recently.

It's about fill the "Date Taken".

Since Alamy upgrade its photo manager, I got a difficult time to fill the date.

The old one put us to fill the date manually. So it simply made me to write the month/year only.

How about now?

I try severally to delete the Add date, leave it blank. But somehow it generates the exact day, month, and year. Cannot fill the month/year only

So how to write like the old one?

I look forward for your reply, guys!

Thanks

• Dislike 1

I use Xpiks. It's free and excellent. you import your pictures into it, then title and keyword, when stuck you click suggestions, then key in key in 2 or 3 keywords and it trawls through 3 agencies for similer pictures and gives you keyword for them, click them and they go into your picture.

Just google Xpiks and it pops up.

Malcolm

• Dislike 2

I keyword directly into Alamy. I have found that the new version is more flexible, particularly on bulk additions and changes. The spellcheck is a real pain changing correct spellings of foreign words without warning. For some reason mine hates "nobody" and types "noboy" or "nobodyy".  The downside is that you don't have a copy. I totally agree with Philippe's comments - have a green on me.

dov

I'm 100% with Philippe on this one.

I trust the same contributors who make use of "keyword piracy" tools won't get upset if their images are copied and pasted all over the internet without the correct licence being purchased?

Both look like copyright infringement to me.

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Has anyone hired a keywording service? I was thinking about trying one, but a fellow Alamy contributor I know personally recommended not "wasting" my money. They think the return on investment is not worth it. Additionally, I don't want to pay a service if all they are going to do is dump my image into a keyword thieving software.

Thanks!

~Katie

The microstock tool can be useful as a reminder. I certainly don't consider it a breach of IP to copy over a few words that others have chosen. By now I have lists of common keywords and I only wish it were easier to copy them over in the new AIM.

But no, it's certainly not worth paying for at the RPI we get here.

2 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Just noticed

Does it worry people that the search term 'cowboys' has over 45k views but only 1 sale?

Not uncommon.  Shows why rank now is so important.  If you aren't on the first couple of pages, you are sunk.  Cowboys is a very generic search.  And how many searches were there for the 45,000 views?

In AoA, it will show how many times over the year that term was searched and then the total for all the searches combined.

Jill

1 minute ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Ok I get it now, so UCO is 2, that means 2 people searched the entire catalogue of over 42k images? and bought 1 image

No, it means 2 searches for a total of 42,000 images.  One may have search 100, the other 41,900.

And not all sales are reported on AoA.  Only sales that can be attributed to that specific search.  Many editors put lots of images in a lightbox for future consideration, or to show to clients down the road.

Jill

I'd like to have something that, for instance, when I put in the common name of a plant or animal it gives me common names in other languages plus Latin. Or it gives alternatives, such as I put in California State Route 1 and it gives me Great Highway, SR 1, Pacific Coast Highway, PCH, Cabrillo Highway, Shoreline Highway, Coast Highway, etc.

15 minutes ago, DDoug said:

I'd like to have something that, for instance, when I put in the common name of a plant or animal it gives me common names in other languages plus Latin. Or it gives alternatives, such as I put in California State Route 1 and it gives me Great Highway, SR 1, Pacific Coast Highway, PCH, Cabrillo Highway, Shoreline Highway, Coast Highway, etc.

Wiki Commons is a great site for some of that.

Here is the page for Canada Goose:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Branta_canadensis

I typed in search "Canada Goose: and it referred me to the Latin name page.

Has a version in tons of languages.  I also did a search there for California State Route 1 and this is it: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:California_State_Route_1

You can change the language for the page, which would give your reference in other languages.

There is also Wiki Species.  Here is the page for a White Tailed Deer.  https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Odocoileus_virginianus

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GS-Images said:

It really isn't worth it at all, and I wouldn't trust it anyway. I don't personally enjoy keywording (does anyone?) and sometimes wish I could pay someone to do it for me, but I would have to double-check and likely change every one of them anyway. It's a necessary evil I'm afraid, and doing a good job of it is part of the art of getting your images licensed.

Geoff.

Good to know yours and other people's thoughts on paying a service. I thought about doing it one time, since then I could see what kind of more esoteric terms they provided, which I have a harder time thinking up. I will probably just wait and see how the changes I've been making in the new AIM perform.

Another question(s)....Is it important to use the tags photo/photography/photograph, since you actually select whether it's a photo or illustration? And is it still important to use the tags vertical/horizontal (landscape/portrait), or is there anything in the search algorithms that takes care of that so I don't need to use up tags? And what about using any of the shorthand info you see off to the upper right side when you're looking at your personal Alamy measures page (i.e. WP for with people)? 

Thank you!

~Katie

51 minutes ago, E Katie Holm said:

Another question(s)....Is it important to use the tags photo/photography/photograph, since you actually select whether it's a photo or illustration? And is it still important to use the tags vertical/horizontal (landscape/portrait), or is there anything in the search algorithms that takes care of that so I don't need to use up tags?

Yes, but have a look at AoA if clients still use it. And in what context. Photo for instance almost always means a picture of a photo. However lots of clients use the word Alamy. But I doubt if any are looking for a building in Abingdon.

When you have found a term in AoA, check it by actually searching for it or for a phrase containing that word. This way you'll find out if there is some sort of automated routine that catches it. Hint: some do for UK English terms but not US English. Or for industry terms. Try: wheel silo; wheel cutout; wheel cut out; wheel cut-out. Now try wheel with the Cut Outs filter checked (under image).

You can observe a lot by just watching.

wim

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Yes, but have a look at AoA if clients still use it. And in what context. Photo for instance almost always means a picture of a photo. However lots of clients use the word Alamy. But I doubt if any are looking for a building in Abingdon.

When you have found a term in AoA, check it by actually searching for it or for a phrase containing that word. This way you'll find out if there is some sort of automated routine that catches it. Hint: some do for UK English terms but not US English. Or for industry terms. Try: wheel silo; wheel cutout; wheel cut out; wheel cut-out. Now try wheel with the Cut Outs filter checked (under image).

You can observe a lot by just watching.

wim

Thank you! So much to learn!

~Katie

• 2 years later...
On 02/03/2017 at 13:04, yokochanie said:

I use Xpiks. It's free and excellent. you import your pictures into it, then title and keyword, when stuck you click suggestions, then key in key in 2 or 3 keywords and it trawls through 3 agencies for similer pictures and gives you keyword for them, click them and they go into your picture.

Malcolm

When using Xpiks and uploading images to Alamy, which field do you put the caption in -- the "title" or "description" field? Also, does Xpiks work with TIFs? Have you had any compatibility problems with Alamy's image manager?

Thanks.

On 02/03/2017 at 15:04, yokochanie said:

Malcolm

Just an FYI -

Xpiks newest download will not run on MacOS versions earlier than 10.12