View counts in Alamy Measures

I was browsing through yesterday's Alamy Measures, looking through searches that brought low views, hoping maybe to see something I could capture.

I come across the search for "windmill".  Alamy measures says there were 2 views.  Now I know there have to be more that 2 images of windmills.  So I click on the search term and up come 93,000 images of windmills.  Why did it only say 2 views in Alamy Measures?  And for "windmills" there were 101.

I see the search term for "court" and it says  14.  Click on the search terms and there are 354,000 images with the word "court" in them.  Why did in only say 14 views?

The lowest setting for images per page is 30, so confused on how these two searches could show so few views for so many images.

Are there filters being used we can't see?

Jill

Probably the client only viewed the first hundred photos, and in that set you have two. If they had viewed more pages of photos, you would have had more views.

Probably the client only viewed the first hundred photos, and in that set you have two. If they had viewed more pages of photos, you would have had more views.

If they only viewed 100 photos, then the views should say 100, not two.

Jill

I think you may be right Jill, I suspect maybe a date or newest image filter has been used.

I thought of that Dougie.  If you do the new filter, it shows the same amount of images, just shows them newest to oldest.  And if a date filter is used their should be a DT next to the search term.  I know there is probably a simple explanation, but it would be good to know what other filters customers are using.

Jill

I think you may be right Jill, I suspect maybe a date or newest image filter has been used.

I thought of that Dougie.  If you do the new filter, it shows the same amount of images, just shows them newest to oldest.  And if a date filter is used their should be a DT next to the search term.  I know there is probably a simple explanation, but it would be good to know what other filters customers are using.

Jill

Isn't it because the customer search is different from Photographer search?

If we had the same search facility we could make our own images more popular, by constantly clicking and viewing them. so they become the first viewed?

Chris

Jill

If we had the same search facility we could make our own images more popular, by constantly clicking and viewing them. so they become the first viewed?

Chris

No.. If you go to the Alamy search page and do a search, it's the same search and gives the same results.

Alamy only show the results of searches done by recognised/known customers... People who have bought images before... as part of their metrics. Searches performed by a contributor or someone who hasn't logged in wouldn't be included in the metrics. It would be too easy to manipulate metrics in the way you suggest otherwise.

2 windmills out of 92,750 with these filters:

A couple of minutes ago I had a similar puzzle:

client search: wheelchair airport = 390 images on Alamy

But the client viewed 291. My thoughts: he/she clicked on page 1; then 2 or 3; then page 4. And there's 1 image not available in my region.

Because there are so many windmills, it cannot be a customer with a limited collection to choose from, like with the newspaper deal, where afaik the client only sees the images by contributors who are in.

I just checked the numbers in my pseudonym summary and there have been 3 searches for just windmill over the weekend, but not yesterday. (All with 100 views.) And none for windmills, while I have a couple of both on page 1. So he/she probably checked the property release button and wanted

again 2 images.

wim

edit: typo

Jill

Chris

No.. If you go to the Alamy search page and do a search, it's the same search and gives the same results.

Alamy only show the results of searches done by recognised/known customers... People who have bought images before... as part of their metrics. Searches performed by a contributor or someone who hasn't logged in wouldn't be included in the metrics. It would be too easy to manipulate metrics in the way you suggest otherwise.

Sorry, that's what I meant by different, what we view doesn't count towards "metrics", I didn't know what the word would be, :-)

Chris

2 windmills out of 92,750 with these filters:

A couple of minutes ago I had a similar puzzle:

client search: wheelchair airport = 390 images on Alamy

But the client viewed 291. My thoughts: he/she clicked on page 1; then 2 or 3; then page 4. And there's 1 image not available in my region.

Because there are so many windmills, it cannot be a customer with a limited collection to choose from, like with the newspaper deal, where afaik the client only sees the images by contributors who are in.

I just checked the numbers in my pseudonym summary and there have been 3 searches for just windmill over the weekend, but not yesterday. (All with 100 views.) And none for windmills, while I have a couple of both on page 1. So he/she probably checked the property release button and wanted

again 2 images.

wim

edit: typo

There would be an SQ next to the search term if the person picked square.  As well as MR and PR if they chose releases.  None of these filters are shown for the search for windmill.

Jill

Somehow the filters do not show in AoA at the moment.

Could be new policy (since when?). Could be a glitch.

wim

You are right.  They show up in "Your Images"  but not in "All of Alamy".  The mystery is solved.  somehow Wim I figured you would be the one to solve the puzzle.  :)

Somehow the filters do not show in AoA at the moment.

Could be new policy (since when?). Could be a glitch.

wim

You are right.  They show up in "Your Images"  but not in "All of Alamy".  The mystery is solved.  somehow Wim I figured you would be the one to solve the puzzle.  :)

Woah! Facepalm!

Hangs head in shame.

wim

Archived