Photo size...how to enlarge?

Hi, I have some photos I took with my phone that I'd like to upload to Alamy but they're 1.4MB uncompressed.  Is there any way to enlarge them so they meet the size requirements?

Many thanks in advance!

Forget this.

Mobile phone photos should be uploaded via an iPad or iPhone and only via Stockimo that doesn't require the professional and strict quality standards you have to comply with at Alamy's normal upload route.

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Like 1

...  but phone pics won't cut it for general Alamy stock which requires professional standards.

Yes... and no... all of those picture submitted via Stockimo are selling alongside/competing with "traditional" Alamy stock on Alamy... so regardless of the route they took to get onto Alamy, by virtue of the fact that Alamy are selling them they arguably are also 'general Alamy stock'.

What is true is that the Stockimo QC are generally looking for slightly more creative pictures/editing meaning that the target audience might be slightly different. Stockimo QC might well reject an image that Alamy QC would accept and vice versa.

• Like 1

...  but phone pics won't cut it for general Alamy stock which requires professional standards.

Yes... and no... all of those picture submitted via Stockimo are selling alongside/competing with "traditional" Alamy stock on Alamy... so regardless of the route they took to get onto Alamy, by virtue of the fact that Alamy are selling them they arguably are also 'general Alamy stock'.

What is true is that the Stockimo QC are generally looking for slightly more creative pictures/editing meaning that the target audience might be slightly different. Stockimo QC might well reject an image that Alamy QC would accept and vice versa.

Matt - you are right that often images are rejected by Stockimo which are of a nature that Alamy would accept on their normal traditional stock. That tends to be because they are looking for much more "creative" , "changed/altered" images in Stockimo. 

I dont know of anyone who has tried to upload images taken on a cellphone via the "normal" Alamy route - my iPhone 6s produces images which are 34.9MB sized JPGs when opened but because the sensor is so small I would be surprised if the images are of sufficient quality to pass QC. In fact I gave it a go just now, and although they seem sharp there is a lot of JPG artefacts. Certainly I am not aware that there are any mobile phone cameras on Alamy's list of "approved cameras" though now the image size cut off is only 17MB, I supoose theoretically they might slip past!

Kumar

• Like 1

... but phone pics won't cut it for general Alamy stock which requires professional standards.

Matt - you are right that often images are rejected by Stockimo which are of a nature that Alamy would accept on their normal traditional stock. That tends to be because they are looking for much more "creative" , "changed/altered" images in Stockimo.

I dont know of anyone who has tried to upload images taken on a cellphone via the "normal" Alamy route - my iPhone 6s produces images which are 34.9MB sized JPGs when opened but because the sensor is so small I would be surprised if the images are of sufficient quality to pass QC. In fact I gave it a go just now, and although they seem sharp there is a lot of JPG artefacts. Certainly I am not aware that there are any mobile phone cameras on Alamy's list of "approved cameras" though now the image size cut off is only 17MB, I supoose theoretically they might slip past!

Kumar

Totally agree Kumar.. think I mentioned that, "Stockimo QC are generally looking for slightly more creative pictures/editing" :)

I think Alamy's official line is that they no longer have an "approved cameras" list... it's down to individual images being technically good enough to pass QC. But the reality hinted at from previous threads is that behind the scenes, even though not published anymore, they might still have one. And as Kumar states, most pictures taken from camera phones still aren't technically good enough anyway and would fail due to one or more technical defects like excessive noise, SoLD, etc. That said, technology keeps marching forwards and I guess it's just a matter of time before the technology does create good enough images from a phone and sooner or later I anticipate someone starting a thread to celebrate having been brave to try and succeeding in getting a large batch of pictures from a phone through QC and then the floodgates might start to open....

... but until that day happens, for the OP, the answer is 'Stockimo'!

Edited by Matt Ashmore

Bottom line here. You won't (currently) get an image from Stockimo making it through Alamy QC because their general stock is held to higher standards. 1.4Mb (uncompressed) uprated to 17Mb won't make the grade.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone.  I've just learned that a JPG is already compressed so I'd just need enlarge my 1.4 MB JPGs a little over twice to meet the 3MB submission threshold and give submitting through Alamy a shot.  Stockimo sounds like a solid second option though.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to double the size of a JPG without using Photoshop, i.e., any online enlargers anyone knows of?

Thanks again!

OP, you may have missed the point.

Although you have not told us what your pixel dimensions are, it is not a matter of size but of image quality. A photograph taken with a phone camera will not pass Alamy QC.

cannot agree more to all answers, I would not even try what you are trying to do. 

You may just be causing a QA fail - regardless how much you love the picture. 

OP, do you want to spend 30 days in the failure bin? If so, upload your phone pictures through Alamy's regular stock, then sit back and wait for what for what feels like much longer than 30 days.

Not trying to be harsh, but reality is reality. Read what everyone else said above, more carefully this time. Submit through Stockimo, period.

Hi, I have some photos I took with my phone that I'd like to upload to Alamy but they're 1.4MB uncompressed.  Is there any way to enlarge them so they meet the size requirements?

Many thanks in advance!

I'm not sure even Stockimo will accept 1.4 MB files. I accidentally tried to submit a file that had somehow gotten downsized and the app spat out an error that the file was too small.

My smallest Stockimo files, from my old iPhone 3Gs, come in just over 17 mb uncompressed.

Hello,

WELL ONLY for interests sakes you can up files sizes with Photoshop without having to buy it.

You can still get the CS2 for free on adobes website. Download that and these are the steps to enlarge the file size.

1. Open photo shop

2. open the picture you would like to enlarge

3. click on "image" and under that click "Image Size"

4. when the dialog open check "constrain proportions"

5. Type in a larger pixels size.

6. Your finished!

(for example, a 2000x1500 picture at 8.58M becomes 34.M at 3000x4000)

NOTE: enlarging image DECREASES image quality and most likely not pass QC.

Just so I'm in the clear... :)

Jacob Y - I've read that when enlarging an image in PS it's best to do it in incremental steps, rather than in one big jump from original to taget size, as this creates less degradation of the image.  I can't remember why now, but I'm interested to know if other people can confirm this.  

No, that's not correct. The reverse if anything- information is lost each time a jpg is saved.

Partially true. True if you save after each increment, but the way I used to do it in the dark ages was to make several incremental enlargements and only saved the result after the last one.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

You don't need to resize you image. If your photo is close to the upload size limit, open camera raw and add some noise and add some extra sharpness. These will help you to increase the bytes of image.