I used to be very active on the (old) Alamy forums and back in 2008 we had many discussions about "Novel Use".  At the time and the way the markets were going I decided it wasn't for me.  Stock photography is not such a significant part of my photography business these days and so it is time to revisit options.

What is the current thinking on "Novel Use" - I notice that 70% of contributors have signed up to it?  Do you see any significant benefit from doing so?

The 30% who have opted out - why have you remained out of the scheme?  For me, back in 2008, I felt that "Novel Use" undermined the value of the images and the work involved in creating them.  Today, my stock imagery is something I create "on the back" of other things so any income from it is a bonus so I am wondering about opting in. 

So what's the general feeling about Novel Use these days?

Ian.

Edited by IanButty

Novel use isn't spoken of these days on the forum, I don't think it ever really performed the way Alamy thought it would. Like yourself I didn't join on a principle and I'm still ok with that decision. 

• Like 1

Long time no hear Ian..... NU is dead or in retirement....

Geoff - good to see you are still around here!

All - Interesting that the consensus is that NU is a thing of the past.  The option to opt in is still there on the "Additional Revenue Options" panel.

• 4 years later...

I've just had, for the first time, some photos sold under the Novel Use scheme. 

So it has not died as some predicted

They were four pictures sold for $0.25. each

I suppose that Alamy will take a commission off that.

It should be named Novel Abuse.

I'm opting out first chance I get.

10 hours ago, Frank N said:

I'm opting out first chance I get.

Fair enough, but you would have opted in in the first place, in about 2009. I had one ten years ago, but I've had fees since that are only a bit higher anyway.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I opted out of NU several years ago, but it seems that it has now been baked into regular use.

I clearly remember James West announcing that Novel Use had not worked and was going to be abandoned. But as you say it now just seems to be 'baked in'.

It doesn't bother me personally but the promise about being able to opt in or out does bother me. 

That does seem to be the way these things go. Not sure that I can summon enough energy to get animated about it.

16 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I clearly remember James West announcing that Novel Use had not worked and was going to be abandoned. But as you say it now just seems to be 'baked in'.

It doesn't bother me personally but the promise about being able to opt in or out does bother me. 

That does seem to be the way these things go. Not sure that I can summon enough energy to get animated about it.

Dashboard still says you can opt out in April. As it's been a decade I won't bother.