Multiple uploads from the same shoot to the news feed

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum so be gentle.

I haven't used Alamy news feed for a rugby match before, but may have to on sunday. I typically upload images in batches as the game is progressing. My question is, as long as I use the same headline in my metadata will all the files fall under the same header?

I'm just worried it might end up under loads of headers and live news won't be happy.

Thanks in advance!

Sam

I don't think Live News people will be unhappy. They do appreciate how news works and appreciate timely submissions. You could drop them an email (news@alamy.com) today to ask what you should do, or afterwards, suggest they might want to consolidate the batches. I have found them very approachable.

My experience is that batches with the same headline do tend to get grouped if they are sent close together (time based or perhaps with no intervening batch from another photographer would be my guess).

+1 to Martin's post.

Use the same headline and they will be grouped together.  Let LiveNews know what you plan to do in advance, so that they are prepared and perhaps make their lives a little easier? :)  I have never sold directly via LiveNews (only the same images as general stock afterward), but I have had a fair bit of contact with that team in the past and they are very helpful.

Hi,

I haven't used Alamy news feed for a rugby match before, but may have to on sunday. I typically upload images in batches as the game is progressing. My question is, as long as I use the same headline in my metadata will all the files fall under the same header?

I'm just worried it might end up under loads of headers and live news won't be happy.

Thanks in advance!

Sam

It used to work that way but recently I've found subsequent uploads wind up in a different stack. I usually create a template so all the information should be identical but for whatever reason, it doesn't work in reality. I have noticed if the news team is in the office they'll often tidy up the captions and fix whatever it is so that images eventually wind up in the same stack.

Another problem I've discovered with saved templates is, they all have the same creation time. If I upload more the following day they seem to get bumped from the newsfeed the same time the first upload.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Sam

It used to work that way but recently I've found subsequent uploads wind up in a different stack. I usually create a template so all the information should be identical but for whatever reason, it doesn't work in reality. I have noticed if the news team is in the office they'll often tidy up the captions and fix whatever it is so that images eventually wind up in the same stack.

Another problem I've discovered with saved templates is, they all have the same creation time. If I upload more the following day they seem to get bumped from the newsfeed the same time the first upload.

I use Photomechanic to do all my captioning etc and I have the default Stationery Pad (template) set to use the Capture data for dating the images so they get the proper date & time (important for sequencing events). I also use {variables} to build the dateline, Nottingham, Uk. 1 January 2016 for example in both the caption and the headline (as a place holder). I overwrite the headline with something more meaningful in the template as part of the captioning process. I apply template to all images from the event then I go through the selected ones adding any specifics into just the caption (and add a few keywords). Then I upload directly from PhotoMechanic.

If I am shooting sport I also use code replacement, set up short codes that are automatically replaced by longer text e.g. player number gets replaced by player name, team, position or in motorsport race number gives driver/rider, team, sponsor, class, car/bike etc. I would not dream of shooting news stuff without PhotoMechanic

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Sam

It should be possible to take the creation time/date out of the template . It's how most of us work. Ensure the date/time fields are not ticked in your template (what software?)

It should be possible to take the creation time/date out of the template . It's how most of us work. Ensure the date/time fields are not ticked in your template (what software?)

PhotoShop CS6. Maybe I've just been clicking the wrong radio button?

PhotoShop CS6. Maybe I've just been clicking the wrong radio button?

I would think so... Are there "tick boxes" next to all of the fields? If so, uptick the date and time boxes...

Just for those interested, I spoke to the news team before my shoot sunday and they said that the images should collate under the same folder on the feed. If they don't they're happy to keep them all organised as they come in.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Sam

I would think so... Are there "tick boxes" next to all of the fields? If so, uptick the date and time boxes...

No CS6 only offers three options with radio buttons: Clear and Replace, Replace with matching properties from template, or append.

Occasionally I pick up old keywords while transferring files so I generally prefer to clear the data. Maybe I need to clear the date before saving a template or see exactly what happens when I append.

Archived