Ghosting / double image appearing with Nikon D3300

I've been using a D3300 for news photography for a while and been extremely happy with the results. Yesterday, however, it started to produce double or ghost images.

I've tried different lenses, with or without VR and single / multiple exposures and it seems to appear randomly on over 50% of the images.

Here is link to one - it is the third in a series taken with rapid mutliple exposures. The one before was not quite as bad and the next one was fine.

Any ideas what's going on? It must be the camera, not the lens.

Thanks in advance

http://pjrfoto.com/PRIVATE.htm

After thinking long and hard about the problem and all that you have done to eliminate possible problems with the camera/ lenses I can only think that perhaps the sensor is moving or the antialiasing filter is loose.

Sorry not of any real help.

Allan

Could it be a shutter problem? Perhaps shutter bounce or some other fault, is it the same all over the image? What was the shutter speed?

Were you using flash?

You said multiple exposure. Did you mean a burst sequence or mutliple exposure on the same frame (that might give the effect you are showing).?

Could it be a shutter problem? Perhaps shutter bounce or some other fault, is it the same all over the image? What was the shutter speed?

Were you using flash?

You said multiple exposure. Did you mean a burst sequence or mutliple exposure on the same frame (that might give the effect you are showing).?

I think you could be right about the shutter. It's only at lower shutter speeds - 80th or lower, though it's not consistent.

By multiple I meant a burst sequence. I've tried a few flash pics and they are sharp.

Also, it's sometimes horizontal and sometimes vertical.

Mysterious.

I first noticed it yesterday while examining George Galloway's beard at 100% - maybe it's something political.

Were you using flash?

I think you could be right about the shutter. It's only at lower shutter speeds - 80th or lower, though it's not consistent.

By multiple I meant a burst sequence. I've tried a few flash pics and they are sharp.

Also, it's sometimes horizontal and sometimes vertical.

Mysterious.

I first noticed it yesterday while examining George Galloway's beard at 100% - maybe it's something political.

Sounds to me, but I am no camera technician, that it is a failing shutter. Although I would have expected the double image to always be in the direction of the shutter travel (usually along the short side these days) - in other words top to bottom on a landscape format image. However if a blade is coming adrift I suppose it might happen in both directions.

If you make an exposure without a lens, say at 1/10 or perhaps slower  you might be able to watch the shutter and see something of what is happening. Or shoot a hi-speed video with another camera and then watch in slo-mo. ;)

Is it still under warranty?

If yes, a no-brainer.

If not, go back to older images and see when it started. Look at the settings that give the worst results now and look for images at similar settings. See if it started gradually or all of a sudden. Or maybe even if it has been there all along.

Basically you're looking for either excessive wear (there's a European consumer law about that) user error (you're out of luck there) or even a faulty camera which you will be able to prove with faulty images from very early on.

In my case someone threw a door open and hit my hand with my camera: the lens needed a new IS or VR module and the body needed alignment of the mirror. The repair of the body was done under warranty. I had to pay for the lens, which was about the same age. This was Canon though and I am CPS member. Because I only noticed it after a week or so, I could not go back and find the guy who had done it. At the moment I had thought my hand had taken all of the blow.

wim

Thanks everyone - yes, I think contacting Nikon is the answer. 

I always use two cameras, one with a wide angle zoom, the other with a tele. Up to this week I was using this camera with the tele so it was always set to a higher minimum shutter speed. On Wednesday for some reason I swapped over so I was using lower speeds for the first time - maybe it's always been a problem but it hadn't surfaced till now.

It's only a few months old, so still under warranty. 

I must say nevertheless, despite being a really cheap, basically amateur camera, it is an amazing piece of equipment for the price.

I had a D7200 repaired under warranty by Lehmanns of Stoke on Trent - they are Nikon service agents.  It was also a shutter problem - showed ERR every second exposure.

I sent it to them as I had a faulty 18-200 lens so I sent both together.  The lens was beyond economic repair so they returned it without charge (not even for postage) and I bought a replacement, in mint condition, on ebay for less then the quoted repair cost.

http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/

Archived