How Can I Restrict "Presentation" Sales?

Newbie here...Is there a way to set up my photos so that there is NO option for presentation sales? The rate on "presentations" is far too low, and for my photos no one is ever going to use them for a presentation. I don;t see any option for avoiding "presentations" as a price listing, although a rep from Alamy said I could when I inquired prior to signing up.

Thanks

There are lots more times you will see sales for even less than the Presentation rate. There are a couple of threads on the forum bemoaning this. Prices on Alamy have a huge range, with some selling as low as $2.99 and others up to $200. There are the odd ones higher, but the range is usually under $200 with $50 to $80 probably being the general norm.  My lowest was $7 and my highest $196.

Jill

Next question: The restriction page is completely baffling to me. If I select "personal use" and try to "add" it to restrictions, the list of restrictions then says that ALL COUNTRIES and all uses are restricted.

How often do people have sales for "presentation" anyway?

I'm accustomed to odd ranges from other stock agencies (their "subscription" rates). But if I can control this to a minimal extant on Alamy, I would like to figure it out.

no one is ever going to use them for a presentation

Haven't you answered your own question? If no one is going to buy, why waste time restricting them? If you later find there's a demand you can think again.

There really is only one way to absolutely guarantee your images are never going to be licensed for small amounts . . .

dd

I said no one will "use" it for presentation, didn't say no one will "buy" it. I'm trying to prevent people from purchasing images for minimal amount and then using it for other purposes.

This happens to you a lot?

dd

I said no one will "use" it for presentation, didn't say no one will "buy" it. I'm trying to prevent people from purchasing images for minimal amount and then using it for other purposes.

dd

I'm just starting on Alamy, so it hasn't happened at all here. But I believe it has happened to me through my images on Corbis. So the answer would be ... it happens. Just trying to figure out how I can set it up so "presentations" is not an option here.

Thanks

dd

I'm just starting on Alamy, so it hasn't happened at all here. But I believe it has happened to me through my images on Corbis. So the answer would be ... it happens. Just trying to figure out how I can set it up so "presentations" is not an option here.

Thanks

There will always be tiny sales (depending on the discount the buyer has negotiated), and you'll be extremely unlikely to find out if someone has bought your file for one use then used it for another, except by chance or if someone seems to think your RM image is RF and resuses it on a website repeatedly with one or few sales reported. Not just by claiming 'presentations'. If you want to avoid tiny sales, you should opt out of the UK newspaper scheme, pluse some of the distributions ... but even that is no guarantee.

Presentation sales are rare IME. I've only had five in eight years ranging from $15 to $23.

Two last year were for $15 each, so I guess that is indeed the going price, which is much better than my Italian distributor $2.49 "biscotti" sale of a couple of months ago.

Out of my 142 sales, only one sale was ever for a presentation. Probably bought by one of these ladies as a momento. I'm fine with that. 

santa-barbara-california-usa--5th-februa

Santa Barbara, California USA – 5th February, 2015 Pie Lady of Pie Town: Jane Rosemont (director) and Kathy Knapp (the film's subject) walk the red carpet at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival.

I'm curious.. are some of the people here saying that they'd prefer not to make a sale at all and receive nothing rather than make the sale and at least receive a little bit of money.

We would all like to see our work lease for the highest prices possible, but these days you either have to "go with the flow" or go somewhere else.

Personally, I take an "it all adds up" approach even if I end up grinding my teeth at the occasional very low distributor sales. C'est la vie in 2016. 

I tested out the restrictions options by setting a restriction on a photo to prevent "personal use" and "internal business useage". When the image went live, the restrictions were on "marketing package" small business" and "marketing package: large business".

This makes no sense at all. The phrases used in our control panel do not match the words that are displayed when the image goes live. For some of my images, I do want to restrict them from "presentation", still trying to find the option to do that.

I understand your concerns about the low £9.99 price tag of a presentation sale, but just to repeat what others said before: even if you restrict presentation sales on all your pictures it will not guarantee you higher sales prices. There are still the discounted novel use and UK newspaper schemes, as well as the distribution option, which lead to sales prices lower than what's advertised on the web site. And even if you opt out of all three mentioned schemes/options, Alamy may still grant discounts to customers who buy lots of images. My last sale had a £29.99 price tag but was sold for less than $6 gross.

Thus, preventing single-digit sales prices is not achievable with a restriction of presentation sales.

Don't get me wrong; I completely understand your wish not to sell images for single-digit figures. I'd also rather not sell an image than selling it for such a low amount. My main concern is that once an image is available on a website, it will almost inevitably be stolen and reused by third parties without any compensation to me, and chasing those infringers is close to impossible in many jurisdictions, or just not worth the effort. This happened quite often to me in the past (before my time with Alamy), so, when I hand out an image (or article, or technical data compilation, or anything that needed effort to do) for online use, I'd like a sales price which compensates me a bit for the potential infringements which follow the legitimate online use of the buyer. And this is not the case with single-digit sales prices.

It used to be said among photographers that it's better to make a gift of an image license or print than to sell it cheap, assuming the recipient is some worthy cause or other, because when you do the latter you reduce the value of not only your own work but everyone's.

That view doesn't prevail today, apparently. But while those cheap sales might add up, they put downward pressure on the going rate for photography in general.

Listen, I completely understand the points that everyone is raising, but for a small (but important) chunk of my portfolio I REALLY want to block the "presentation" sales. I am TOTALLY OK with having some small sales, such as UK newspaper scheme but for this small subset of my photos I want to block the "presentation" option for purchases.

This shouldn't be complicated. I was told I could do it prior to joining Alamy (but wasn't told how). I keep testing the different options on the "restrictions" tab and none of them appear to correspond to "presentation".

This is getting absurd.

The thing that would make sense to me is for there to be radio buttons for the various licenses that we want to make available for each photo, rather than restrictions.

They would include or exclude editorial, commercial, website, personal, presentation, print, whatever.

Expressing in the positive rather than the negative would get rid of a lot of complication.

At present, selecting editorial only involves a whole bunch of clicks, which begs the question for Alamy, is that the point? Why make it so difficult?

Archived