New Sony A6300 Announced along with new FE lenses.

Thanks for that Duncan.

Thank goodness they have limited the pixel count to 24.2 MP, and not the rumoured 36 or whatever. Hopefully a super sensor.

I'm not seeing any reference to in body stabilisation, which is a pity.

The EVF appears to have a similar resolution to the NEX6, better than the a6000, but no mention of a built in level indicator. Edit  - "The camera adds a digital level gauge..."

There are improvements on the autofocus front, but I rarely use autofocus!

Similarly a better video performance, but I primarily want a stills camera.

There doesn't seem to be any new lenses specifically intended for this format. The new introductions are for FF, which will be large and heavy, while the standard offer appears to be the rather underwhelming existing 16-50. 

Not sure that there is enough here to tempt me at this time, but at least they are keeping faith with the format. Maybe when the price drops.....

Thanks for that Duncan.

Thank goodness they have limited the pixel count to 24.2 MP, and not the rumoured 36 or whatever. Hopefully a super sensor.

I'm not seeing any reference to in body stabilisation, which is a pity.

The EVF appears to have a similar resolution to the NEX6, better than the a6000, but no mention of a built in level indicator.

There are improvements on the autofocus front, but I rarely use autofocus!

Similarly a better video performance, but I primarily want a stills camera.

There doesn't seem to be any new lenses specifically intended for this format. The new introductions are for FF, which will be large and heavy, while the standard offer appears to be the rather underwhelming existing 16-50. 

Not sure that there is enough here to tempt me at this time, but at least they are keeping faith with the format. Maybe when the price drops.....

Oh they are. About 800g for the 24-70 f/2.8. Later this year I'll be updating my X-T1 that I use along with my A7rii and it's going to be between the X-T2 (when out this year), A6300 or maybe the A7sii. Plenty of time to see how things develop. As it's going to be a 2nd camera, I might go with the A6300 as it seems to be a bargain compared to the X-Pro2 that has the same sensor but also 4k video. Cheaper, takes my FE lenses.... could be a good choice!

Thanks for this, Duncan. Tempting but my trusty NEX-6 still looks brand new, and I'm on a limited budget these days. Then there is the rapidly sinking Canadian dollar (loonie) to consider...

Too bad Sony or someone else still hasn't dreamed up a rationally priced replacement for the 16-50 kit zoom.

I too am happy that the 36 MP sensor was just malicious gossip. B)

Thanks for this, Duncan. Tempting but my trusty NEX-6 still looks brand new, and I'm on a limited budget these days. Then there is the rapidly sinking Canadian dollar (loonie) to consider...

Too bad Sony or someone else still hasn't dreamed up a rationally priced replacement for the 16-50 kit zoom.

I too am happy that the 36 MP sensor was just malicious gossip. B)

Yeah, 24mp seems a sensible size for the APSC body!

If using a7rii + 24-70mm GM,

will one get IS from body?

Or no IS at all with this combo???!!!!!  :(  :(  :(

& if IS from body, what disadvantage,

if any, vs. lens with IS?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0359260536/sony-releases-three-premium-g-master-lenses-for-fe-mount

You would get the IS from the body IBIS. It doubles up with lenses that also have IS.

As to how effective it will be on it's own at 70mm I'm not sure but, it wouldn't be the first standard zoom with no IS so having IBIS is a plus in this instance! IS in lens can be tailored to the lens and as such, be more effective. From what people say, IBIS is good for about 2 stops where some lenses can squeeze 4-5 stops.

Edit. 

Looking around the net, there are quite a few that say the A7rii IBIS is good for 4 stops. I guess it's going to come down to technique as to how much you can squeeze out of it. I know with the 16-35 & 90mm, it does very well when  combined with lens IS. I have a habit of knocking the IS off on the 90mm and I don't suffer from many blurred shots from it.

I was happy enough with the A7ii but before Christmas I bought the A7Rii and absolutely love it.  I'm getting consistently excellent results handheld in very low light conditions.  I shoot principally with the Sony 28mm f/2 prime and the 24-240mm zoom and the ibis works flawlessly with them. I couldn't be happier. I'm saving up my pennies and intend to get the 50mm f/1.8 and maybe the 90mm f/2.8 macro primes at some point, but those new lenses they announced today are extremely expensive so I won't be buying them any time soon.

That A6300 looks like a great little second camera to carry when a larger DSLR isn't convenient.

I was happy enough with the A7ii but before Christmas I bought the A7Rii and absolutely love it.  I'm getting consistently excellent results handheld in very low light conditions.  I shoot principally with the Sony 28mm f/2 prime and the 24-240mm zoom and the ibis works flawlessly with them. I couldn't be happier. I'm saving up my pennies and intend to get the 50mm f/1.8 and maybe the 90mm f/2.8 macro primes at some point, but those new lenses they announced today are extremely expensive so I won't be buying them any time soon.

That A6300 looks like a great little second camera to carry when a larger DSLR isn't convenient.

Yeah, I agree. The A7rii is a beast of a camera. The amount of cropping you can do and still come out with a 20mp image is ridiculous. The 55mm lens turns into a 50-100 zoom more or less!

Hows that 24-200 on the A7rii. I'm looking at a longer lens for my A7rii, mainly for video and hiking. If I get an A6300 as a 2nd camera it would probably be on that camera for hiking so if the edges are a little off on FF it should be good on the APSC crop! 4k video in Super 35 is the same as crop as well.

The fact that Sony is calling this camera the a6300 probably means that there is still an a7000 in the works that won't be just an upgrade. I wouldn't want to start any rumours, though.

Could well be, possibly with ibis?!? I've added my name to the list for interest in the A6300 with Digital Rev. I think it'll be a nice 2nd camera to go along with my A7rii. 

Archived