Alex,

Without knowing more about the "lectures" and off the top of my head I would say

that your fee is on the low side.  I use the ASMP estimator, but I am a member of

the ASMP.

I don't type an invoice for less than $100.00 USD.

Chuck

Alex, you might want to check whether the lectures will be put up online or used in a blog. These days a lot of conference presentations and the like are. Sometimes as video, sometimes as a transcript, or sent to delegates by email. All would be additional usage I guess.

I had two sales last month for "Use in slides/materials to support a presentation or talk - such as Powerpoint or Keynote."

One was $9.99 gross, the other was $25.90. 

That may seem low (especially the first one) but that's the going rate as far as Alamy are concerened

I had two sales last month for "Use in slides/materials to support a presentation or talk - such as Powerpoint or Keynote."

That may seem low (especially the first one) but that's the going rate as far as Alamy are concerened

Thanks Phil - these are lectures on a particular style of horticulture, to be performed on a lecture tour in the Southern Hemisphere, so your figures sound about right to me

Thanks Phil - these are lectures on a particular style of horticulture, to be performed on a lecture tour in the Southern Hemisphere, so your figures sound about right to me

I just found two earlier ones - around the $20 mark.

I just had a similar licence, for commercial presentation, and it was $14.99

I beginning to come round to the idea that these fees are probably quite reasonable in certain circumstances - eg a teacher or university lecturer using their own money to purchase images for a lesson, for example. 

However, a banker with a marketing budget behind him/her using images for a sales presentation could afford to spend a lot more. Charging these minimal fees for this would, I expect, be leaving money on the table.  

I beginning to come round to the idea that these fees are probably quite reasonable in certain circumstances - eg a teacher or university lecturer using their own money to purchase images for a lesson, for example. 

I was a teacher., and I very much doubt if we sell much to that market.

When teaching, I used probably over a hundred images each week, in different ways. As I would have had to pay for them myself, it wouldn't have been worth my while working, to licence images, even at the low rates we (including me) don't like to see from stock sales. Of course, I was using time to search for 'legally free' images, but it wasn't actually 'money out'.

More recently, when teaching community education, I was getting £21 per teaching hour (no allowance for prep time), which again would make even Alamy's published rate of £10 uneconomic. (Luckily, I could use my own existing files).

I also do talks to various community groups, for which I might get a nominal fee (£10 - £30 max) but more often a box of chocs or a bottle of wine (can't even give the latter to charity shops), sometimes nothing, so again, where I don't have a pic of my own to illustrate something, I need to look for 'legally free' (and feel a bit guilty), or (more usually) do without and skew my talk accordingly. My choice to talk for no/low fees, obviously; but a lot of these groups are small and don't have much money.

Clearly, this isn't the same situation as someone 'touring the Southern Hemisphere' presumably getting paid a 'reasonable rate' for lectures. The problem with the fees is they can't take into account the circumstances of the buyer. (And even if they did, we'd likely all be suspicious if they were telling the truth about their payment or lack of.) The nature of business is that the genuinely small buyer with little recompense for their use gets charged more than the 'banker with a marketing budget' - because of bulk discounts. 'Twere ever thus.

Cryptoprocta: I thought my comment was likely to be controversial! I too was a teacher, and I probably should have clarified that I wasn't thinking of normal lessons - despite teachers' propensity to subsidise their own jobs by buying books, supplies etc off their own bat - but rather such things as teachers (and others - perhaps university lecturers more than teachers) presenting at conferences, etc. I've done that kind of thing, and it's usually on the teacher's own initiative and without payment. I also didn't mention the elephant in the room all this - which is that microstock is even cheaper!

A further idea - if the terms and conditions of these low value sales had some kind of deterrent - eg. the user agrees to pay a penalty fee of $500  or triple the calculator price, whichever is higher, if they use the image for anything other than the purpose for which it was licensed - wouldn't that be good! It shouldn't put off legitimate buyers and could lead to big fees if a reverse image search discovers unauthorised uses. Of course, it's up to Alamy to choose whether that's a good idea or not ;-)  

Thanks for your comments - my client seems happy with the price I suggested. In my experience people giving these kinds of talks are paid roughly £200 a time, or more, so can certainly afford to stump up a bit if doing a series of 15 or 20 lectures.

Archived