Keywords sections: just one instead of three

Lorenz

Quite, but what about others: would you think that contributors in the foreseeable future will use their phones exclusively for keywording or that it should be a possible option?

Maybe in the form of a sort of Stockimo for the general collection?

wim

Keywording on a phone sounds like an excellent idea ... it's the perfect activity to do while waiting for a train, standing in a queue, sitting on the toilet ;-) 

By the way, dragging/dropping/selecting etc may not be necessary for those who type directly into Manage Images, but those of us who keyword in, say, Lightroom have to do something about the fact that all their keywords end up in Comprehensive ... 

We're in business. It's all about enhancing productivity - or getting the maximum bang for your time ;-)

I don't find it a big pain to cut/paste my keywords. The most important go first in the list so are cut/pasted into Essential. Then cut/paste the rest into Main. I rarely have enough keywords to go into Comprehensive, but do the odd time.  Generally I find it takes a maximum of 10 seconds per image to do this.

Jill

Ha ha - believe me, DD, I would change my workflow in an instance if it improved productivity overall, but for now I find it more efficient to keyword in Lightroom - there are efficiencies from keywording all images together, not just those destined for Alamy, and it means even for Alamy photos that keywords are there in the image for any non-Alamy use. With a good set-up of hierarchical keywords in Lightroom, entering them there can be very quick and efficient - I can get through hundreds of images in an hour. 

Jill: what software allows you to enter keywords in your own order, rather than alphabetical? 

Anyway, to summarise, I think having multi-level key words has advantages, and all I've done is made a suggestion for improvement in Manage Images to cater for a wider range of use cases, that won't affect those why type in directly or prefer copy/paste. 

Hi! I'd like to suggest this little big improvement in the keyword management section, though maybe I'm not new in asking this: it would be great if keywords where just one section, not split over three parts.

That would save A LOT of time, and the process of managing images would be less tedious.

Thanks Alamy staff for your care,

L.S.

Personally I find the three boxes very useful for ordering and prioritising keywords.  For instance, if I have an image of someplace with a blue sky I will leave the keywords blue sky in comprehensive because I wouldn't want that image to come up in a search for blue sky alone but I would want it to come up in a search for someplace blue sky.

With respect Lorenz, you have only 10 images on line so have very little experience here and I would suggest that you save your ideas until you have a better understanding of how things work rather than just trying to take shortcuts.  As has been said, the three boxes give us an advantage over the agencies and lazy contributors so my vote is to keep them.  The only change I would make is to have a drag and drop facility.

Pearl

Hi! I'd like to suggest this little big improvement in the keyword management section, though maybe I'm not new in asking this: it would be great if keywords where just one section, not split over three parts.

That would save A LOT of time, and the process of managing images would be less tedious.

L.S.

Personally I find the three boxes very useful for ordering and prioritising keywords. For instance, if I have an image of someplace with a blue sky I will leave the keywords blue sky in comprehensive because I wouldn't want that image to come up in a search for blue sky alone but I would want it to come up in a search for someplace blue sky.

With respect Lorenz, you have only 10 images on line so have very little experience here and I would suggest that you save your ideas until you have a better understanding of how things work rather than just trying to take shortcuts. As has been said, the three boxes give us an advantage over the agencies and lazy contributors so my vote is to keep them. The only change I would make is to have a drag and drop facility.

Pearl

Thank you Pearl I appreciate what you suggest. I'm indeed a new contributor here, and yes maybe also a lazy one ;) ...at the moment I have 150 images on sale but the number on the left here in the forum shows just ten, maybe it will update correctly with time..

However I'd like to say I'm not taking shotcuts I'm just indicating an area that could get positive upgrades, and the discussion is taking this direction it seems. So my ideas are worth of being expressed at any time I desire, as well as yours. Cheers.

L.S.

Personally I find the three boxes very useful for ordering and prioritising keywords. For instance, if I have an image of someplace with a blue sky I will leave the keywords blue sky in comprehensive because I wouldn't want that image to come up in a search for blue sky alone but I would want it to come up in a search for someplace blue sky.

With respect Lorenz, you have only 10 images on line so have very little experience here and I would suggest that you save your ideas until you have a better understanding of how things work rather than just trying to take shortcuts. As has been said, the three boxes give us an advantage over the agencies and lazy contributors so my vote is to keep them. The only change I would make is to have a drag and drop facility.

Pearl

Thank you Pearl I appreciate what you suggest. I'm indeed a new contributor here, and yes maybe also a lazy one ;) ...at the moment I have 150 images on sale but the number on the left here in the forum shows just ten, maybe it will update correctly with time..

However I'd like to say I'm not taking shotcuts I'm just indicating an area that could get positive upgrades, and the discussion is taking this direction it seems. So my ideas are worth of being expressed at any time I desire, as well as yours. Cheers.

Can I also add that you should annotate your images correctly, for instance FD4R0F is RF and contains a person's hand but has no model release.  This means you have ticked to say no people otherwise you would not have been able to set an RF license. Learn how to use the system we have correctly.

Pearl

Lorenz, I agree with Pearl (and Wim) that the current method gives us a way to compete with the big agencies. I fear that if you get your way my images will fall far back in the pack -- as will yours.

Paulette

I forgot to mention one other very important benefit of the 3 tiered keyword field structure:

Within one pseudo It is the only way to rank your own images.

Well almost: the other is to start with your least important images and work your way up to the most important and submit those last. Not just for one shoot at one given day, but for all your shoots. Impossible for a subject you will re-visit / shoot again.

wim

edit: again this is not an advantage a newbie will readily recognize.

Archived