Keywords sections: just one instead of three

Lorenz

Hi! I'd like to suggest this little big improvement in the keyword management section, though maybe I'm not new in asking this: it would be great if keywords where just one section, not split over three parts.

That would save A LOT of time, and the process of managing images would be less tedious.

Thanks Alamy staff for your care,

L.S.

but it would also "kill" the idea that you can give different weight to keywords i.e. emphasize the more important ones.

Not necessarily, as they could effectively be ranked by their order in the one section. Surely all keywords should be important?

In any case most other, including the very successful, libraries and agencies use a single keyword section.

Hi! I'd like to suggest this little big improvement in the keyword management section, though maybe I'm not new in asking this: it would be great if keywords where just one section, not split over three parts.

That would save A LOT of time, and the process of managing images would be less tedious.

L.S.

How would it save A LOT of time? Regardless of the number of sections into which keywords are placed, you're still going to have the same number of letters typed, the only extra time is tabbing or moving cursor to next section . . .

Plus Martin's point. EDIT: Martin from Sweden in this case :-)

dd

The other point I would make about importance of keywords: only the few important ones matter, with 65million images, keywords that are a marginal fit to the image must be a complete and utter waste of time. There will always be images that better fit those less relevant keywords so what the point of including them?

It is making me think about my keywords ...

but it would also "kill" the idea that you can give different weight to keywords i.e. emphasize the more important ones.

Not necessarily, as they could effectively be ranked by their order in the one section. Surely all keywords should be important?

In any case most other, including the very successful, libraries and agencies use a single keyword section.

Martin - isn't that just the same thing though? Instead of having it a bit clearer laid out (the three fields) what one deem more important, average importance and lesser importance, you will be stuck with one giant box and have to shuffle the keywords around (mine always upload in alphabetical order).

So my vote is that I still like the system of the three different importance levels of keywords.

The other point I would make about importance of keywords: only the few important ones matter, with 65million images, keywords that are a marginal fit to the image must be a complete and utter waste of time. There will always be images that better fit those less relevant keywords so what the point of including them?

The never ending dilemma isn't? One day that "marginal" keyword leads to a zoom (CTR up), another days it give you the view, but no zoom (CTR down). A fine line...

I have had sales by adding a keyword that not many other photographers have thought to add to a subject. I am careful to keep all the words appropriate. There are a bunch of appropriate ones for wildlife subjects. I also like the three sections to sort out the most important ones. 

Paulette

Filling the three sections by hand gives individual contributors an advantage over agencies who fill the three fields automatically from their single field.

It also gives you the opportunity to correct the Photoshop/Lightroom habit of re-arranging keywords alphabetically.

Hint: Alamy does not like alphabetical order.

wim

L.S.

How would it save A LOT of time? Regardless of the number of sections into which keywords are placed, you're still going to have the same number of letters typed, the only extra time is tabbing or moving cursor to next section . . .

dd

Sure I'd spend the same time typing keywords before uploading. But it's easy to see why what I ask would save time...because now we have to chose the relevant keywords for each image, while all you need is a procedure as fast and simple as possible.

As pointed out by Martin Wilson, most agencies use one keyword section and it works fine.

All of you that are in favor of the three step system have good reasons and stress the point of a relevant keywording that matches the images as it should.

But my hypotesis is that it is not necessary to have a time consuming procedure split in three section of keywords to reach that result. Maybe an innovation in Alamy management of keywords and search engine could be considered.

L.S.

dd

Sure I'd spend the same time typing keywords before uploading. But it's easy to see why what I ask would save time...because now we have to chose the relevant keywords for each image, while all you need is a procedure as fast and simple as possible.

As pointed out by Martin Wilson, most agencies use one keyword section and it works fine.

All of you that are in favor of the three step system have good reasons and stress the point of a relevant keywording that matches the images as it should.

But my hypotesis is that it is not necessary to have a time consuming procedure split in three section of keywords to reach that result. Maybe an innovation in Alamy management of keywords and search engine could be considered.

Update of "Manage Images" is in the works (have been for a year or so). Hopefully it will entail enhanced productivity tools/functions somehow.

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/3244-what-would-you-like-to-see-in-the-new-manage-images-upload-process/?hl=%2Bmanage+%2Bimages

There is for sure a reason that it is split and doesn't just came to make it contributors more difficult. I really believe this split just makes it possible to search in more detail.

If there is a trash bin in the background the keyword "trash bin" would be totally not the priority. Putting it into one section between important keywords would just not fit and would end negatively to the search engine. But on the the other hand there could be a client that would like to have a trash bin in the background. Here the solution is the comprehensive section.

I see fully the sense of this spilt. Alamy please keep it like that. Good for costumers and good for us since we can take more specific photos like that.

Mirco

I think I can say I am. More would probably not be appropriate.

wim

That's good news! We know that (a) progress is being made, b] it's being tested with real users before going live, and © they've chosen at least one tester well!! ;-) 

Back on the topic, personally I find that ranked keywords are useful - there are always kws that are appropriate for an image but you wouldn't want the image appearing in a search for only that word, so those go in comprehensive. 

I've just had the idea: that workflow would be a lot faster if a little drop-down menu appeared in MI next to each keyword from which a rank - 1, 2 or 3 - could be selected. The number of kws with each rank would be limited, similar to now. That would save an awful lot of copying and pasting. Now, why didn't I think of that earlier!! 

Yes DHill!, why not make it an option to select relevant keywords? I guess you're depicting something like that. The two sistems may stay together and the single contributor could decide to put some keywords in the first 'relevant' box, or with a drop down menu. So basically a small change could be to make not mandatory to split the keywords in sections. Would it make everyone happy?

Yes DHill!, why not make it an option to select relevant keywords? I guess you're depicting something like that. The two sistems may stay together and the single contributor could decide to put some keywords in the first 'relevant' box, or with a drop down menu. So basically a small change could be to make not mandatory to split the keywords in sections. Would it make everyone happy?

What I'm envisaging is that key words would initially be at the lowest weighting (i.e. comprehensive), as now, but the user would have the ability to promote a limited number to a higher level - effectively the same as now but selecting a number to designate the level (essential or main) would be much faster than copying and pasting into different boxes. The devil in the detail would be how to deal with phrases rather than single words, though I can think of a few possibilities. 

Another option would be drag and drop functionality between the keyword boxes. I think that was suggested, IFRC, in the Manage Images suggestions thread from a year or so ago.  

David 

Wow, this is getting more and more technical . . . to me it's starting to take on the feel of a solution/s looking for a problem.

My vote: I'll keep typing what I choose where I choose.

Simple, technically unchallenging, and a lot faster than typing then dragging/dropping/ranking/cutting/pasting . . .

dd

Wow, this is getting more and more technical . . . to me it's starting to take on the feel of a solution/s looking for a problem.

Simple, technically unchallenging, and a lot faster than typing then dragging/dropping/ranking/cutting/pasting . . .

dd

Unless you are on a phone or a small tablet.

wim

dd

wim

I'm usually not . . . which is why I said "My vote".

dd

dd

wim

I'm usually not . . . which is why I said "My vote".

dd

Quite, but what about others: would you think that contributors in the foreseeable future will use their phones exclusively for keywording or that it should be a possible option?

Maybe in the form of a sort of Stockimo for the general collection?

wim

Quite, but what about others: would you think that contributors in the foreseeable future will use their phones exclusively for keywording or that it should be a possible option?

wim

Keywording on a phone sounds like an excellent idea ... it's the perfect activity to do while waiting for a train, standing in a queue, sitting on the toilet ;-) 

By the way, dragging/dropping/selecting etc may not be necessary for those who type directly into Manage Images, but those of us who keyword in, say, Lightroom have to do something about the fact that all their keywords end up in Comprehensive ... 

We're in business. It's all about enhancing productivity - or getting the maximum bang for your time ;-)

wim

Keywording on a phone sounds like an excellent idea ... it's the perfect activity to do while waiting for a train, standing in a queue, sitting on the toilet ;-) 

By the way, dragging/dropping/selecting etc may not be necessary for those who type directly into Manage Images, but those of us who keyword in, say, Lightroom have to do something about the fact that all their keywords end up in Comprehensive ... 

We're in business. It's all about enhancing productivity - or getting the maximum bang for your time ;-)

Fair points all . . . however, if my workflow was slowing me down (by placing all keywords in Comprehensive, by way of example only you understand :) ), I'd simply change my workflow to make it smoother and more efficient . . . aka enhancing productivity.

dd

Archived