Just had a look at my year-to-date figure for sales v zooms.

No convoluted scientific reasoning behind it, just curious and was wondering how others compare.

Since January 1, I'm getting roughly one sale for every four zooms (total zooms divided by total sales).

Anyone else getting anything similar? (Don't know whether one in four is particularly good or bad by the way).

Over the last year mine is 3.1

We did this on the old forum. I think 3 or 4 was average. Of course the site changed quite a bit a few months back with the creative stuff and the default of 100 per page in searches so things are probably changing. For some reason I no longer seem to be getting any zooms - don't know about everyone else.

Edit: since Jan 1st 3.3 - oddly slightly higher

Since you have used 1 January as the starting point I have done the same - mine are 1 sale for 3.2 zooms, however only 5% of the zoomed images have converted to sales, the rest don't appear to be ever have been zoomed - these are my favourites as they are a complete surprise when they appear in sales! Also I know of at least 10 sales from March onwards which have still not been reported yet so are not counted.

I also did it from 1 June 2012 to today to see what difference there was over a longer period (that's as far as the stats allow) and it is 1 sale for 2.7 zooms during that period.

Lynne 

A ratio of 5 zooms on 1 sale, but the sales don't match the zooms...

Yes, that's an interesting point. Only 30 percent of my sales this year have associated zooms. The other 70 percent have not registered a zoomed view.

A ratio of 5 zooms on 1 sale, but the sales don't match the zooms...

Yes, that's an interesting point. Only 30 percent of my sales this year have associated zooms. The other 70 percent have not registered a zoomed view.

Even worse, none of the zooms I can look up in the stats have been bought so far... But, I didn't have too much sales yet either...

I do not put a lot of importance on  zooms as over the last year or so I have had quite a few zooms where mine was the only zoom for the given subject, yet no sales arose

Also have had numerous zooms from the actual image ID code and still no sales

Then you get a sale from nowhere for an image that has never been zoomed, ever!!

Surely rank should be down to sales first as that is the most important thing to all of us.

Regards

Paul

None of my zooms have been translated into sales and none of my sales have been zoomed.

That used to be my situation, Alex. In the past year I've been getting more zooms and they relate more to my sales. It is a puzzlement.  

Have to agree that given the fact that non-zoomed images often sell and zoomed ones regularly don't, trying to work out the significance of zooms is a mysterious dark art which isn't going to solve itself anytime soon.

The mystery of unzoomed sales turns up regularly in this forum, but it's not all that difficult to explain. Alamy tracks the views and zooms of only a subset of visitors to the site, presumably those who have demonstrated they're serious customers by actually licensing some images, so a sale may result from a customer who does not (yet) belong to this group. What's more, not all zooms, even by those in the elite subset, register as zooms: Someone in the old forum was able to establish that if a customer clicks on the "more" button to view more of your photos, subsequent zooms do not register (this apparently is not a glitch, but I've forgotten Alamy's rationale for it). Images can apparently be placed directly in lightboxes, and licensed from there, without being zoomed. There may also be a very long time between the zoom and the sale: photo research on a thousand-page textbook, for example, can take as much as a year, so there will probably be several months between zoom and license, during which time you may have forgotten about the zoom (I certainly don't remember every zoom I get). Searches conducted at distributer sites will not register as views or zooms.

It's also important to remember that customers visit other agencies besides Alamy (I have to remind myself of this all the time). Even if they zoom only your photo, and even if they search on your image number, it doesn't mean that your photo is the only photo they are considering. And apart from photos from other agencies, there's also the possibility that they may choose not to use any photo at all.

So if so few sales actually seem to result from zooms, why should we care about zooms? A zoom is a special thing, even if it never results in a sale. On average, customers zoom only about one photo out of every 200 images they view. When a customer zooms an image, it means something about that image caught their attention, and that something is most likely (though not necessarily) that it is closer to what they're searching for than the vast majority of images they've seen. Contributors who get a lot of zooms (relative to their views) are apparently providing the sorts of images that customers want. It's true that sales are a better measure of customer interest, and Alamy Rank almost certainly takes sales into account somehow, but sales may be too few and far between to offer by themselves a reliable means for ranking contributors, particularly when many contributors have small collections and only a handful of sales annually.

Back to the topic at hand: I'm curious about the ratio of zooms to sales myself, and not sure why it seem to vary so much among contributors. My own stats: since January, I've had 87 zooms and 19 sales, for a ratio of about 4.6:1.

Don't do much number crunching due to lack of analytical understanding of the variables created by Alamy. Have currently noticed that many searches produce no zooms at all - but this is obviously in the phrases that produce views for me and my keywording is pretty tight.

For what it is worth from January 1st I've had 137 sales from 366 zooms the previous six months produced 32 more sales from 10 more zooms. But as others say many zooms produce no sales and many sales result from no zooms - so I think I'll go and have a cup of tea.....

I don't have enough sales and zooms to be statistically relevant, but for the sake of completeness, most of my sales (about one image per month for the last 3 years) have nerver been zoomed ! 

from jan 1 to now i have had 6 sales and 0 zooms

in fact my ctr is 0  -  yes 0.00

that cant bode well for me i guess but hopefully the sales keep coming

My father had tried to get me to be a knife thrower in the circus, but no—I had to be a photographer. 

My father had tried to get me to be a knife thrower in the circus, but no—I had to be a photographer. 

He must have liked you - at least he didnt ask you to be the kid with the apple on his head, or the cigarette in his mouth...

Archived