Colour fringing

Most of it is not CA, but what is called flare, I think. If you could remove some of it in a defringe function it may help a lot. The problem with this image is that it is in a quite large and central part of the image. I have had images passing QC with thin twigs in a corner after the use of the defringe function and making sure it was not CA..

Lightroom's Lens Corrections (with the sliders and tick boxes) most often do the trick, but for the most stubborn or those cases where the slider actually degrade the image quality I use the "Clean CA" under "Enhancements"-->"Finish" in the Raya Pro panel, a little investment, with many uses that I can highly recommend (especially if you're into exposure blending, luminosity masks etc.)

http://www.shutterevolve.com/raya-pro-the-ultimate-digital-blending-workflow-panel-for-photoshop/

I do not use CA preset and treat each image in its own right.

The reason is that I have had a couple of images where CA removal was used and the action actually reversed the CA so I had to remove it by hand using the sliders.

Allan

I do not use CA preset and treat each image in its own right.

The reason is that I have had a couple of images where CA removal was used and the action actually reversed the CA so I had to remove it by hand using the sliders.

Wouldn't be quicker and simpler to use the preset as a general rule and just manually alter any pics that need it?

Alan

Thanks for replies. I use and like Silkypix Developer Studio Pro6 for raw files. It works well on lateral CA where needed, but I've recently started doing tabletop with a black knob PC-Nikkor 35mm. It's fine, but I've noticed some fringing that I can't fix in Silkypix.

I've been duplicating the layer, selectively desaturating the lower layer in Photoshop, and erasing through. It's a lot of handwork. I thought it might be coming from a deficient CRI in my light and I should bite the bullet for a studio flash. It's more likely longitudinal CA in the lens. So, my reason for wanting to use Lightroom on TIFF files is so that I could go about my usual workflow and simply add LCA correction.

Cheers,

Don

Thanks for replies. I use and like Silkypix Developer Studio Pro6 for raw files. It works well on lateral CA where needed, but I've recently started doing tabletop with a black knob PC-Nikkor 35mm. It's fine, but I've noticed some fringing that I can't fix in Silkypix.

I've been duplicating the layer, selectively desaturating the lower layer in Photoshop, and erasing through. It's a lot of handwork. I thought it might be coming from a deficient CRI in my light and I should bite the bullet for a studio flash. It's more likely longitudinal CA in the lens. So, my reason for wanting to use Lightroom on TIFF files is so that I could go about my usual workflow and simply add LCA correction.

Cheers,

Don

Just curious why you don't do the entire conversion for these particular images in Lightroom (or ACR) as you are probably less likely to be successful working on a TIFF than a raw file. Lightroom (and ACR 7 and later) deal extremely well with lateral CA with a simple tick box. This doesn't do anything for longitudinal CA of course but it is magic for lateral CA. I know you say you want to keep your Silkypix workflow but you might be making an awful lot of extra work for yourself doing it that way.

Have you tried the defringe adjustment tool in ACR? It always works for me.

Jill

Thanks Jill, I haven't yet (only in LR) but have PS so will have a try this evening.

As far as I know and I think I'm pretty solid on this one, there is no difference between the defringe sliders in LR and ACR assuming the same versions are used.

Jill

Thanks Jill, I haven't yet (only in LR) but have PS so will have a try this evening.

As far as I know and I think I'm pretty solid on this one, there is no difference between the defringe sliders in LR and ACR assuming the same versions are used.

I don't use LR, so can't compare, but the adjustment tool in ACR allows you to select only the area you want to work on. Don't know if LR does that, as I am an ACR devotee.

Jill

Jill

Thanks Michael, I'm on the CC versions of both. I don't usually use ACR so am unfamiliar with it. I will have a quick look later to see if I can get a different result.

Cheers,

Don

Just curious why you don't do the entire conversion for these particular images in Lightroom (or ACR) as you are probably less likely to be successful working on a TIFF than a raw file. Lightroom (and ACR 7 and later) deal extremely well with lateral CA with a simple tick box. This doesn't do anything for longitudinal CA of course but it is magic for lateral CA. I know you say you want to keep your Silkypix workflow but you might be making an awful lot of extra work for yourself doing it that way.

I like a lot about Silkypix and have no experience as yet with Lightroom. When I made the decision some years ago, Silkypix worked a lot better for me than ACR. Both programs are different today than they were then, but I tend to get stuck in a rut when I find something I like, am averse to learning new software unless it proves really necessary, and am more strongly averse when it involves spending more money. Looks like it might be time to get out of my rut.

Edit: p.s., about what I like specifically in Silkypix, it's the Dodge and Color Burn, film simulations, and handling Fuji-X files without smearing foliage.

Cheers,

Don

I like a lot about Silkypix and have no experience as yet with Lightroom. When I made the decision some years ago, Silkypix worked a lot better for me than ACR. Both programs are different today than they were then, but I tend to get stuck in a rut when I find something I like, am averse to learning new software unless it proves really necessary, and am more strongly averse when it involves spending more money. Looks like it might be time to get out of my rut.

Understandable. I used Bridge, ACR and Photoshop for years but finally went to Lightroom about 4 years ago and soon wished I had done it several years before, as it has a very decent database as well as the raw converter, which is basically identical to ACR. The converters has improved massively over the years, especially since 2012. Lightroom itself has also improved a lot (version 6 has significant speed enhancements for one thing). You could download a trial version of Lightroom if you don't want to subscribe. I'm still using PSCS6 and Lightroom 6.3 rather than the CC version. However, if you don't have a newish version of Photoshop, then CC might be well worth it. It sounds like you do use Photoshop and versions since CS5 are way better than earlier in terms of speed.

Just to add, sometimes not upgrading is false economy - software improvememts can mean major time savings.

Archived