42 members have voted

1. 1. What System(s) are you using

• Windows
    • Apple
    • Linux
    • Android
    • Other
    • I do not know - neither do I care

More than 15 years ago, I made a concious decission to only use Free and Open Source Software. 

While at the time it was difficult to find decent software, nowadays all seems to be available to a professional standard. 

To manage my images I use digikam, edit with gimp and use also other tools available.

For my day to day office work, libre Office comes in handy and is also compatible to M$'s office.  

Over the years I became a very happy linux enthusiast.  

Just out of curiosity, anybody else out there only using Linux? 

How are your experiences? 

I don't use Linux but admire your style.

Is it possible to get up to date raw converters that work under Linux, or is there a work around?

You can install various versions of Photoshop (older ones AFAIK) on various versions of Linux.

I don't use Linux but admire your style.

Is it possible to get up to date raw converters that work under Linux, or is there a work around?

Yes there are multiple software packages - as with everything with linux all come for free. 

For instance Rawstudio, Darktable, RawTherapee

Which one to select is based on your preferences and the functionality they provide you with. 

Be prepared, selecting one of the many options does not always come in easy and it takes some time to find the correct tool for your taste. 

I cannot comment on the three packages, as I do not do a lot of raw editing. 

My Canon 400D and 70D are supported, so is the 5DMKIII as far as I know. 

The new raw format that came with the 5DsR is not yet, and I have this camera also :(

Under Linux you also need to be prepared that it may take a quarter or two until new products are supported. 

Also as a workaround you can run a lot of software in the windows emulator (called wine) or install a virtual machine running a windows system.

More than 15 years ago, I made a concious decission to only use Free and Open Source Software. 

While at the time it was difficult to find decent software, nowadays all seems to be available to a professional standard. 

To manage my images I use digikam, edit with gimp and use also other tools available.

For my day to day office work, libre Office comes in handy and is also compatible to M$'s office.  

Over the years I became a very happy linux enthusiast.  

Just out of curiosity, anybody else out there only using Linux? 

How are your experiences? 

I would like to but my main two pieces of software, Capture 1 Pro and PhotoMechanic are not available. Last time I looked C1 did not work under wine or the like.

I would like to but my main two pieces of software, Capture 1 Pro and PhotoMechanic are not available. Last time I looked C1 did not work under wine or the like.

Capture 1 pro - dunno if the other raw software on linux can replace

Photomechanic - I believe this is something like digikam but I may be mistaken

In fact purchase software on the market you will not find much for linux, unless the pressure on the suppliers increases.

On the other hand, why should I spend thousands for one tool, if I can have a free tool that gives me 90% of what I need?

That may actually be the case for all operating systems, the more power, the better for image processing. 

It may be that some packages need more power than others, but I lack any hard data.

In terms of of the operating system itself and user-responsivness I would argue it feels faster, but again, no hard facts, just gut feeling.

For testing you can always utilize some older hardware, linux will work on it out of the box. 

I run Ubuntu, and have for many years. I run Photoshop under WINE and occasionally use a virtual Windows machine (mainly for a model helicopter simulator that doesn't run with WINE). I've never got to grips with Gimp, although I would like to move to open source entirely.

I used linux for about 18 months.  PCLinuxOS full monty was the best I used.  I went back to windows because there's some software that is superior to anything I found using linux and using wine wasn't working for me.  There's a lot of free siftware for windows that I use that I found hard to use on linux.  Its a shame, linux has a lot of advantages, I liked the fast startup and shutdown and it was so easy to keep all the programs up to date.

Archived