I've spotted a few alamy images recently in the sun and on their website (including one of mine, it'll be interesting to see the fee for that one). One interesting thing is that if you right click the image the normal options are disabled (save as etc etc), instead of getting the normal options it reads

Copyright 2012 News Group Newspapers Ltd and/or its licensors. No use without permission. Contact enquiries@nisyndication.com

Which hopefully might stop the story being ripped off and appearing all over the shop on blogs etc etc, I'd be interested to know if the article is legally licensed by another website, how the fees to filter down, or if the price they paid includes the right to sell it on as part of the article.

Anyone had a Sun sale show up yet, how was the License worded?

I’ve had a website and newspaper sale with The Sun. License wording:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Placement: Secondary screen
Image Size: up to 1/4 screen

Newspaper:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 5 million
Placement: Inside
Image Size: Spot size

Perfectly reasonable fee for both (though not telling) :)

Average 'Stock' use by direct sale - i.e. not through Alamy is £30. Five years ago the average was £70 through Self Billing.

'Someone ' screamed and shouted about the © situation and they have done something about it.

The idea of the © claim as 'News Int or their Licensors' is that if you contact the Syndication Department they will identify the © owner to you it is not meant to usurp the ownership - not sure how well it works yet - but potentially it SHOULD work.

I've had images direct from the News-eed used in the sun. Appropriate news feed sales (3 figures) - sale as other news feed sales..

Yes, News and Stock are paid at different rates - I've got a number of images in their picture libraries and when they use them the rate is generally £30 plus VAT - but that is Sterling, and it is all mine !

Archived