I just want to share my positive experience with the Darktable and Linux. I have used Lightroom for couple of years now (4 and 5) and I found that the Darktable has much more levels of control over image modification, including the integrated noise reduction profiles for specific cameras (Pentax for example). The software is free and easy to use, once you get use to it. Besides it allows automated workflow in the way as Lightroom.

Here is the link http://www.darktable.org/

How is Darktable for burning, dodging and other masking? I'm on CaptureOne right now and it's the only reason I haven't gone over to Linux entirely.

BTW ... I don't hate Windows and/or Mac, I just like Linux better.

On Linux you could then use GIMP of course but like you I use C1Pro and I can do pretty well everything I need in the one tool. I would also need a PhotoMechanic equivalent to switch to Linux.

I just want to share my positive experience with the Darktable and Linux. I have used Lightroom for couple of years now (4 and 5) and I found that the Darktable has much more levels of control over image modification, including the integrated noise reduction profiles for specific cameras (Pentax for example). The software is free and easy to use, once you get use to it. Besides it allows automated workflow in the way as Lightroom.

Interested... so I thought I'd give it a try on Mac OS X Yosemite (since there are versions for both Linux and OS-X).

I tried Versions 1.6.8 and 1.6.9 and couldn't get either of them to import any images. The file/folder navigation doesn't seem to work (unless I'm doing something daft). When I double click on one folder is selects a different one, 8 entries further down the list. I tried importing from SD card and it didn't find the SD card either. I tried putting some images in the folder I can select, and it didn't find them. Mmmm....

Looking on the net suggests I may have to also install MacPorts and some dependencies, but I've no idea how to do this. I though the DarkTable OS-X installer would just work... It seems not. Maybe it's OK for Linux users, but not quite so straightforward for Mac Users?

Interested... so I thought I'd give it a try on Mac OS X Yosemite.

I tried Versions 1.6.8 and 1.6.9 and couldn't get either of them to import any images. The file/folder navigation doesn't seem to work (unless I'm doing something daft). When I double click on one folder is selects a different one, 8 entries further down the list. I tried importing from SD card and it didn't find the SD card either. I tried putting some images in the folder I can select, and it didn't find them. Mmmm....

Looking on the net suggests I may have to also install MacPorts and some dependencies, but I've no idea how to do this. I though the DarkTable OS-X installer would just work... It seems not. Maybe it's OK for Linux users, but not quite so straightforward for Mac Users?

I don't know about Mac users, but on Linux installation is pretty easy.

How is Darktable for burning, dodging and other masking? I'm on CaptureOne right now and it's the only reason I haven't gone over to Linux entirely.

BTW ... I don't hate Windows and/or Mac, I just like Linux better.

You can do masking in Darktable, however for more dedicated stuff I would recommend GIMP - the new version is awesome.

Archived